Hacked 3 times in 2015

Focus

Full time employment: Posting here.
Here's a list of the nine worst cyber attacks of 2015.

Lucky me, my info was in three of the databases. (Before anyone asks, I was not in the Ashley Madison one!)

It seems to me that we have to proceed under the assumption that all our private information is in the hands of the bad guys, so agencies/companies have to develop new security processes that use entirely different information. Providing a couple of years of credit bureau monitoring is not going to hack it (pardon the pun).

Focus;1682501 It seems to me that we have to proceed under the assumption that [B said:
all[/B] our private information is in the hands of the bad guys, so agencies/companies have to develop new security processes that use entirely different information. Providing a couple of years of credit bureau monitoring is not going to hack it (pardon the pun).

+1

I certainly know that my data is out there in the wild and that of my children also thanks to an inept health insurance company that could not protect it. It wasn't even encrypted. And then these guys have the nerve to send me glowing notices about how wonderful it will be to have their health insurance again. And a letter that makes them out to be a 'victim'. "Gosh officer, I left my new Porsche parked in a dark alley, unlocked, with the keys on the front seat. How was I to know somebody would steal it?"

The credit bureau monitoring is worse than worthless, IMHO, because it gives a false sense of security. Like an alarm system that warns you after your house has been robbed and you've been pistol whipped.

I have my credit accounts frozen at the three bureaus. It's our only real defense.

Providing a couple of years of credit bureau monitoring is not going to hack it (pardon the pun).
Even worse - sometimes it's the credit bureau itself that is hacked as in the T-Mobile case - Experian was hacked for that data. Unfortunately DH was caught in that one - and information far more sensitive than credit card numbers!

Home Depot gave my data away. Now one frequently used change card gets replaced every few months. The cc provider can't seem to tell my old number from my new one.

Don't expect hacking to get anything but worse. Corporate entities have dodged their responsibilities for many years leading up to where we are today. Hackers have unlimited time, security staff already has full time j*bs with deadlines.

I was hacked twice. Once by the IRS themselves. Forces me to keep an eagle eye on credit reports and accounts. It actually forced me to create a looong list of accounts and website URL's so I can quickly change all my passwords the next time it happens. It's a real PITA changing 20+ passwords regularly but I figure its better than trying to fix a counterfeit account.

i wasn't victimized per se' but definitely exposed.

Back
Top Bottom