2017 Change to My Private Insurance (non-ACA)

nvestysly

Full time employment: Posting here.
Sometime last year I received a letter from UHC (Golden Rule) that my private health care insurance is in full compliance with the PPACA and will remain in effect until September 2017.

I called my insurance agent at the time and he didn't offer any real explanation of what this letter means. The agent mentioned that some aspects of the PPACA will change, or be implemented, in 2017 and perhaps my carrier was simply informing me that all is fine now but depending on the changes my policy may be affected in 2017. Clear as mud, right? Sounds like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo to me.

In the past week or two I asked some different questions of my insurance agent and in replying to those questions he mentioned again that my policy is fine until September 2017 as long as I continue to pay the premiums and don't make any changes such as moving to another state.

For reference, I started my individual/private policy in August 2011. Is my August start date somehow related to the vaguely referenced September 2017?

Even though my policy is individual/private/non-exchange I realize it has to comply with the features of PPACA.

So enough of the history... Is something occurring in 2017 that may affect my policy?

Just a thought, since the date suggest is not the end of a year, you don't happen to turn 65 in Sept 2017?

Just a thought, since the date suggest is not the end of a year, you don't happen to turn 65 in Sept 2017?

I also wondered why it was not the end of the year. I turn 65 in 2024 so Medicare is several years away.

I looked back through my records and I haven't found a copy of the letter yet. I hope I didn't throw it away. I found similar letters from previous years. In all cases the letters refer to September and the only thing I can think of is that's when my policy renews since I started it in August.

Transitional relief for ACA Grandmothered plans was extended until September 30, 2017.

Grandmothered Plans: https://www.healthinsurance.org/blog/2015/09/16/like-your-grandmothered-health-plan/

UHC notice for Transitional Plans: http://www.stephens-matthews.com/i/healthreform/2014GRtrupdate.pdf

Thanks. This forum is a wonderful tool! I looked all over and searched the internet but somehow came up with no answer.

Your links provide very useful information and make sense in my situation. I knew I wasn't in a grandfathered plan but hadn't come across the "grandmothered" term. By the way, the letter I received from UHC was not as straightforward as the one found in the link.

I don't want to make this a political thread but a different question comes to mind now. Whom should I "lobby" to gain another extension and perhaps make the extension indefinite? It sounds like I need to contact the executive and legislative branches of the federal government as well as state authorities. Sounds like it's letter writing time! I've been down this road previously on other subjects and it's disheartening to receive the standard response indicating my "concerns are understood and will be taken into consideration" but I guess I have to make my voice known.

Back
Top Bottom