Dental work in Mexico?

folivier

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So is anyone driving into the border towns for dental work? Not just yearly cleaning but crowns, etc.?
We both need a crown or two and from other research prices can be 1/3 of the cost here in the states.
Not concerned of the travel costs since we plan to visit friends in Arizona next month and could incorporate a side trip for dental visits.
Any suggestions for dentists that speak english well?

On the blog wherewebe by ER bloggers Robin and Robert Charlton, they have used a dentist in Algodones and recommend him. You'll find it under the road trip to Baja. Click on the picture (its under US adventures) and scroll down a little. They've used that dentist a few times and recommend him.

Fortunately, I have great teeth needing nothing more than the occasional filling. We drive to San Diego from Phoenix several times a year so always pass by the billboards on I8 near Los Algodones. If I ever need some serious dental work, I'll certainly consider that option as currently, I just have a dental discount plan.

It's not on most tourist destination routes but I've used a dentist in Naco Sonora Mexico, about 25 miles from where I live in Arizona. It's best to park on the US side and walk across, for Naco it's only a 10 minute walk to the dentist. The traffic coming into the US is sometimes backed up and slow not to mention the need to purchase insurance if taking your car across the boarder. I've had a root canal and crown done along with standard procedures and very happy with the service and results. Some of the dentist may have limited English but they will always have an assistant with them who will do the translating if needed. Never had any communication issues.

As an anesthesiologist, I look in every patient's mouth. I had one patient with some false teeth (I can't remember if it was a bridge or dentures). His teeth looked ridiculously fake. Color was off, they were blockish, just really weird looking. I had to inquire as to how he got them (?gumball machine??) Nope, Mexico.

Traveling in Costa Rica, we met a couple that was there for a week of dental work. It was 1/3rd the price, and reports were that the quality was quite good.

As an anesthesiologist, I look in every patient's mouth. I had one patient with some false teeth (I can't remember if it was a bridge or dentures). His teeth looked ridiculously fake. Color was off, they were blockish, just really weird looking. I had to inquire as to how he got them (?gumball machine??) Nope, Mexico.

I have no doubt there are bad dentist in Mexico, as there are in the US, but with a little research it's not difficult to find a good one that will provide the same level of service you'll get in the US.

I have no doubt there are bad dentist in Mexico, as there are in the US, but with a little research it's not difficult to find a good one that will provide the same level of service you'll get in the US.
One of the first lessons in engineering school was that when you project a curve on a graph, it helps to have more than one data point. :LOL:

I have seen some dreadful Mexican dentistry, however, I've seen some dreadful US dentistry as well.
I have been to dental seminars given by Mexican dentists (I am a dentist, just about retired), and saw some beautiful dentistry presented. So I'm sure if you can find the right dentists, you would be well served. The challenge is to find the right dentist.
It's a bit easier if you live in the area and can ask neighbors, co-workers etc about their experiences.
Even if you know ONE person who had a good experience you are back to what travelover said about only having "one data point"...I've seen too many cases of poor dentistry in mouths owned by people completely unaware of the shoddiness of it, to trust what one person says about the quality of what they received. Particularly so if I were suspicious that price was the number one driving force for their decision.

I have seen some dreadful Mexican dentistry, however, I've seen some dreadful US dentistry as well.
:er::er:.
Yep, they are out there. In my 20's my wife and I switched to a new dentist and suddenly had cavities like crazy - we were drilled and filled every time we went. We wised up and went to a new dentist who almost never found any cavities. When we queried the new dentist about our previous dentist, he had no comment.

One more data point. :D

I used a Dental School, (UNC), the price was about 1/3 the cost of a dentist. The service was great. I had implants and crowns. I was 100% satisfied with the experience.

By sheer luck, I have found an unusually skillful and expert young dentist here in New Orleans. He is also on the expensive side for New Orleans, but he is worth it to me because my teeth have always been awful (I blame my Scottish/English ancestry for that although I don't really know if that's logical). This guy was well trained at LSU dental school, has great vision and manual dexterity, and keeps up with the latest dental techniques and training, plus his communication skills are great. Not only is he a nice person, but also he tells me flat out what I need to know instead of dancing around the issues. He has saved at least one tooth that I think other dentists would have given up on. He also hooked me up with a great young oral surgeon that he works with for implants as needed.

Anyway, even though they would be cheaper, I won't be trying foreign dentists.

By sheer luck, I have found an unusually skillful and expert young dentist here in New Orleans. He is also on the expensive side for New Orleans, but he is worth it to me because my teeth have always been awful (I blame my Scottish/English ancestry for that although I don't really know if that's logical). This guy was well trained at LSU dental school, has great vision and manual dexterity, and keeps up with the latest dental techniques and training, plus his communication skills are great. Not only is he a nice person, but also he tells me flat out what I need to know instead of dancing around the issues. He has saved at least one tooth that I think other dentists would have given up on. He also hooked me up with a great young oral surgeon that he works with for implants as needed.

and that, my friends, is the way it is supposed to work. Congratulations on finding a good one.

Reactions: W2R
scrimping to save a few bucks on my teeth isn't worth it, IMO

even if it's a low probability event, I want my teeth worked on my a pro in the US

We spend 6 months in Mexico and have various procedures done. When we first arrived, we became acquainted with a retired dentist from Sacramento. He and his wife always use local dentists. That did it for us.

We have had great experience over the last 10 years. Make sure to get references before committing to anything beyond cleaning.

We LOVE our dentist (and the oral surgeon who's done a few implants for us), too. We just moved 15 miles away and we're sticking with them.

If cost were a big concern I'd definitely look outside of the US, though.

That's hardly a surprise, W2R, given your dislike of travel.

The last time we went to Mexico, the taxi driver drove us through a shopping center parking lot on the way to Guadalajara grill. A couple of guys with very big guns looked us over and walked away. The taxi driver had to pay a token to exit the parking lot. We had a nice dinner and never went to Mexico again. I think we just didn't look like who they were after that day. That was nearly 20 years ago.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

scrimping to save a few bucks on my teeth isn't worth it, IMO

even if it's a low probability event, I want my teeth worked on my a pro in the US

That's how I see it too. Dental work is not something I'd look to save money on.

The last time we went to Mexico, the taxi driver drove us through a shopping center parking lot on the way to Guadalajara grill. A couple of guys with very big guns looked us over and walked away. The taxi driver had to pay a token to exit the parking lot.
Sounds like the taxi driver was being paid to parade you by. At least in Texas, the parking might have been free...

Unfortunately, because of cutbacks, and the culture of greed growing world wide, many dentists should be avoided. There is no magic to good dentistry, it can be had anywhere when the dentist is motivated to provide care he or she would provide to their own child. I can't think of a way to avoid bad dentists. I have replaced a lot of extremely bad mexican border dental work. I am retired now. I feel bad for my patients looking for care.

There are two things I dread when moving to a new town: finding a mechanic and finding a dentist.

References are vital. From knowledgeable parties, if at all possible. In this country or any other.

Dental update

Well we did it. Drove from Louisiana to Yuma, AZ then went to a dentist in Los Algodones, MX.
The entire experience was actually very easy and pleasant. We searched on the website: Dentaldepartures.com and chose 5 of the top rated clinics. I emailed these and chose Ciro Dental mainly because they could give us a 9am appointment time on the day after we arrived in Yuma. There is a huge parking lot right at the US-Mexico border that costs $6. From there it is a short walk into Los Algodones with no entry checks. The dentist is about 2 short blocks from the entry point. The dentist actually offered to have someone meet us at the border to walk us over but we decided not.
The office was small but has comfortable chairs, bottled water, coffee, A/C, TV, and free wifi. The treatment rooms were small but modern and very clean. Our dentist spoke some english but the hygienist spoke english very well.
I had a cleaning/exam, root canal, and 1 crown. My DW had a cleaning/exam, 1 crown, and had 1 implant prep. We'll return in 4 months to have her implant completed. The costs were as follows:
Cleaning/exam $35
Zirconia crown (no metal) $425 (there do have cheaper options starting at $200)
Root canal $200
Implant $1150
Antibiotics, pain pills, etc. $35
They require cash payment of 1/2 the first treatment day with final cash payment on final day. These prices are typical of all dentists there.
I also bought a pair of Rx sunglasses of bendable metal for $250 ($600 in USA). My DW bought a pair of bifocals for $29.00
I can honestly say that I usually hate dentists but this is the first time that I had absolutely NO pain. The crown didn't need any grinding or adjusting, it was a perfect fit and only took 3 days to make. The dentist and hygienist were very polite and professional.
So looks like we will plan to make yearly trips there.

Back
Top Bottom