Question for any CalPERS members out there.

Drake3287

Full time employment: Posting here.
Okay, just received my 2015 1099-R from CalPERS and noticed that in box 5 of the statement it shows an amount of something like $256.00. Looks like it has to do with having something like a Roth, 457 account or insurance.

I don't have either with CalPERS including still making contributions to my employer 457 account. Anyone have any idea what this is for? My other retired co-workers have a similar amount in box 5. Any idea what it represents? Not a large sum but I'd love to know what it is.

Not CalPERS but I looked at the 1099-R form on IRS website and on Box 5, it says Employee contributions/Designated Roth contributions or insurance premiums.

Edit:
Here's what it says on the back of the form. Did you by any chance purchase a larger pension with after tax money?

Box 5. Generally, this shows the employee’s investment in the contract (after-tax contributions), if any, recovered tax free this year; the portion that is your basis in a designated Roth account; the part of premiums paid on commercial annuities or insurance contracts recovered tax free; or the nontaxable part of a charitable gift annuity. This box does not show any IRA contributions. If the amount shown is your basis in a designated Roth account, the year you first made contributions to that account may be entered in box 11.

Last edited:
No pension upgrade purchase. The only thing I can think of was years ago the employee portion of our required contribution was pre taxed (or maybe the opposite, don't remember) and maybe it has something to do with that tax money.

Just has me wondering, nothing overly important.

I would call your district HR and ask them about it. They may refer you to payroll.

Back
Top Bottom