RMDs when contigent beneficiary

bobbee25

Recycles dryer sheets
Figuring the required minimum distribution.

I have my spouse as the beneficiary and my son as a contingent beneficiary.
(we both pass then it all goes to my son)

Do I use both my spouse and son when calculating the RMD or only the primary (spouse) ?

I don't think the beneficiary figures into the RMD calculation if it's your iRA. The only thing that matters is your age.

If I understand your question, the RMD is based on the age of the person receiving the funds at the time.

Figuring the required minimum distribution.

I have my spouse as the beneficiary and my son as a contingent beneficiary.
(we both pass then it all goes to my son)

Do I use both my spouse and son when calculating the RMD or only the primary (spouse) ?

AFAIK there are only these 3 tables to do the calculation. Read the few descriptive words on each to see which one to use: https://www.irahelp.com/printable/2015-ira-and-tax-tables

Uniform Lifetime Table is used for the original owner unless:

Spouse is >10 yrs younger. Then use Jt. Life table for more favorable terms.

Son is a contingent beneficiary so does not come into the calculation until he actually inherits. Spouse (once they inherit) can choose to make IRA their own (be owner) and use the Uniform Lifetime Table or choose to be a beneficiary and use the Single Life Table. They would probably only choose the latter if they were younger than 59.5 and needed to take distributions w/o penalty. Note that there is a difference in how spouses use Single LifeTable compared to non-spouses (see table description).

the calculations are described in IRC 401(a)(9) and the associated regulations

there is also a good pub from the IRS as well

I don't think contingent beneficiaries enter into the calculation, just the direct benficiaries

Back
Top Bottom