Final Check

hiker88

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi Forum Members,
I’ve posted my situation here previously, but that was two years ago. Based on what I have been reading here over those past couple years and what FIRECalc says, I think I am good to go. Recent changes in my j*b have made my current situation intolerable, so I am very eager to move on. Listed below are my statistics:

Single, 55 years old, no dependents.
Retirement assets are currently at $1.9M (does not include cash to pay off mortgage). About half in taxable and half in 401k /Roth IRA. Mostly Vanguard index funds. Asset allocation: 65% stock/35% fixed income. No pension.
Social security: $25K/year at age 70 (75% of estimate provided by Social Security website)
Retirement budget: $60K/year (based on previous five years of spending plus $8K for medical insurance and dental expenses, $3K new car fund, $15K travel, $5-10K taxes)

Looking forward to doing what I want to do with my time, which will mostly be landscape photography.

Please share any thoughts you might have. Thank you.

Congrats! Sounds like you are in great shape, and well positioned for a nice health insurance subsidy. Enjoy the next phase!

Congrats! Sounds like you are in great shape, and well positioned for a nice health insurance subsidy. Enjoy the next phase!
Thanks Panacea. I'll actually be eligible for subsidized company retiree health insurance that is less expensive than Obamacare, but they might discontinue it at any time, so figure best not to count on it. Over the 25 years I've worked there, they have reduced or eliminated one benefit after another. With either a subsidy from the company or Obamacare, my medical/dental expenses should be less than $3K/year, but figure for planning purposes it is better to not include a subsidy.

Last edited:
Looks like you are ready to go, Hiker. Where do you go to shoot landscapes? That's my hobby too.

Attachments

• 2020.jpg
    2020.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
My only thought is: what the heck are you waiting for? :D
Good to hear that you think I am good to go now. I am more than ready to quit, but a bonus based on corporate performance of the previous year is issued in mid March. It is typically about $10K, so figure I should put up with the BS a little while longer even if it is painful.

Your numbers look good to me, but you must promise to share photos. Congrats on the upcoming notice you'll be giving!

Looks like you are ready to go, Hiker. Where do you go to shoot landscapes? That's my hobby too.
Beautiful image! Is that Toroweap? That place is on my bucket list. I do most of my photography in the western US and planning to do a lot more once I FIRE. If you would like to see some of my work, click on my username, go to About Me, then see the link in Interest.

Congrats on your upcoming retirement. Gotta tell you after a year, it is fabulous!

Back
Top Bottom