Call Blocker for Android

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Well, I almost fell for a spam text that stated from Bank of America, Account locked, please call ### immediately. Luckily I wasn't in a rush and did some verifying before acting.

What are some good call blockers for Android?

I know mentioned before is Mr. Number. Are there other good candidates you've tried?

There's a lot to choose from at Google's Play Store but thought I'd check here with those with first hand knowledge.

Thanks.

p.s. I know, sad that now I sound like someone who owns a smartphone instead of the old fashioned flip phone :blush:.

I only use Mr. Number and it has worked flawlessly. To block spam texts, I use Postman.

You can block a number received without any app on Android. From your call log, just long-hold the number and a box comes up with "Add to reject list".

If you're looking for more sophisticated blockers Mr Number works fine.

You can block a number received without any app on Android. From your call log, just long-hold the number and a box comes up with "Add to reject list".

If you're looking for more sophisticated blockers Mr Number works fine.

This depends on the manufacturer as they put their own "skin" over the android os. What you are suggesting doesn't work on my motorola.

I've been using mr number for a couple weeks and have been very pleased. I haven't had a problem with texts so far so I haven't looked into it.

Another vote for MrNumber. There is another app called Extreme Call Blocker that I use for those few that MrNumber misses

This depends on the manufacturer as they put their own "skin" over the android os. What you are suggesting doesn't work on my motorola.

Oh. Sorry. I have a Samsung S3

Okay. Been messing around trying different call blockers for Android. (The call blocking is not already built into my phone's interface). Still looking as for me, even Mr. Number isn't able to fully block a call but sends the call directly to voice mail.

Did you see the option under settings for "pick up and hang up" instead of "send to VM"?

In settings, neither of those options are shown. I'm using the most recent version of Mr. Number v3.2.0

In settings, neither of those options are shown. I'm using the most recent version of Mr. Number v3.2.0
Strange. The very last option under the "Call Blocking" section of my settings states "When blocking calls..." then allows you to toggle between those two options.

Strange. The very last option under the "Call Blocking" section of my settings states "When blocking calls..." then allows you to toggle between those two options.

I don't have those options at all under the call blocking section.

I have: Blocking Enabled, Include Blocked numbers in History, Create blocked call notifications, Delete all call & text history.

It appears the options may vary based on what version of Android you have on your phone. I'm on 4.4.2

Very well could be. I don't know how to of the version I'm on :blush:.

For some reason the 'hang up' option is not supported in android 5 or later which really sucks.

I decided to uninstall Mr. Number for now and keep looking.

I discovered there are a ton a call blocker apps and most say they are the best thing since sliced bread. Some are better than others, some are free but with ads.

I did find one that has an option to not go to voice mail, doesn't hang up but makes the caller here a disconnected message. Unfortunately, the free version has a lot of ads which is almost as bad as the spam callers. There is a non paid version, but subscription starts at $2.99 a month.

Another vote for MrNumber. There is another app called Extreme Call Blocker that I use for those few that MrNumber misses

After installing, trying and uninstalling several Call Blocker apps, Extreme Call Blocker does do the hang up and don't go to voice mail which I wanted. So, I [-]got shaken down for [/-]purchased the app for $4.99. There's a lot of settings (initially too much) in that app for me. If I find it too cumbersome, I might go for a simpler free, go to voicemail app instead. Simplicity vs functionality :blush:.

If I find it too cumbersome, I might go for a simpler free, go to voicemail app instead. Simplicity vs functionality :blush:.

+1

Even though Mr Number (free) has a hang up option on my version of Android, I prefer the send to VM option, in case it tries to block a call I actually want to take. My experience is the spam callers aren't leaving a message anyhow.

+1

Even though Mr Number (free) has a hang up option on my version of Android, I prefer the send to VM option, in case it tries to block a call I actually want to take. My experience is the spam callers aren't leaving a message anyhow.

I'll probably end up keeping the Extreme Call Blocker app. Just in case Rachel From Card Services calls and leaves repeated voice mails on my phone :).

On second or third thought, I decided that I really don't need the Extreme Call Blocker app with all the bells and whistles and any blocking I do will just have to go to voice mail. The deciding factor is my mobile isn't on all the time, thus, even with Extreme Call Blocker, if a callers on my block list calls, they most likely will still go to my voice mail. Probably should have thought this out a bit more :facepalm:.

Ask and You Shall Recieve

A follow up to my search for a good Call Blocker for my anroid phone.

After I got a spam voicemail yesterday, I found myself back to looking for a good call blocker.

Found out the makers of the Extreme Call Blocker now has scaled down apps which does block Android calls from going to voice mail :) which is exactly what I want.

I got the app called "Call Blocker No Spam Voicemail" (the author emailed me saying this is the version for android 5.0 and 6.0 phones). Well worth the $1 :D. In order to effectively block voice mails, I do need to leave the phone on (sleep is okay). An acceptable trade off to not have to go through the hangups and Rachel voice mails.

I now have the blocker to block anything that is not on my contact list. Knowing me, I'll probably forget to turn off the blocker a few times for some calls that aren't ongoing a few times until I form the habit of remembering to toggle on/off when needed :blush:.

Last edited:
A feature that I really would like would be the ability for the phone to ring only for certain numbers I have designated as important with all other incoming calls set to ring silently. Not having unwanted calls ring and disturb me is almost as important as blocking them in the first place.

Actually, now that I think about it, perhaps I can do this now simply by creating a silent ring tone as the default and then assign an audible ring tone for the contacts that I want to hear from.

Back
Top Bottom