RIP George Martin, the Fifth Beatle

Not only did he sign The Beatles to EMI/Parlophone Records, and produce virtually all their records, but there was Gerry & the Pacemaker records (such as "Ferry Cross the Mersey," "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" and many others), Cilla Black, Matt Munro hits, Jeff Beck's hit albums of the mid-1970s (Blow by Blow and Wired), some mid-1970s albums by America, and lots of other acts. Thank you, Sir George!

Last edited:
An incredibly fortunate pairing (for the rest of us) of an incredibly creative man with one of the best bands ever.

A friend sent me this link. It's a short article with video embedded discussing the recording of one of the seemingly endless classic Beatles tunes, "In My Life".

This single phrase from a Beatles song is precisely why George Martin was a genius - Classic FM

Although not about George Martin directly but related as it came up in a separate discussion about Martin and recording techniques/effects in general: fans of The Band are familiar with one of their signature tunes, "Up On Cripple Creek" from a great album The Band (available in remastered form on Amazon Prime Music). There's a percussive-sounding instrument that is distinctive and I - and most people I know - always thought it was a mouth harp (aka "Jew's harp") laying around the studio. But what it actually is: a clavinet recorded through a wah-wah. Inspired!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom