Removing Stitches

zinger1457

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Got a nice cut on my index finger yesterday that required a few stitches at the local clinic. Was told to come back in a week to remove them. Seems like removing them would be fairly straight forward, use clean tools, clip and pull. Anyone try removing their stitches at home instead of going to the doctors office?

Sure, you can. I think they have to offer to do that for you. However, a friend of mine pulled his stitches too soon, and the wound opened up. Oops!

I have probably removed 80% of my non-dissolving stitches that I could see (and I have had a lot!) wait plenty of time to make sure the cut will stay closed, I use a nail clipper to cut the thread and tweezers to pull it out...

Cut as close as you can to the skin and pull from the other end so you don't pull the part of the stitch that has been exposed to dirt etc through your tissue

I have put numerous stitches in my dogs, and racing pigeons, and have taken them out. Easy peasy. No complaints.

Maybe you want to go in just to get another look at the cut, but it is not necessary.

Yes. First time I learned how rough some people are to patients, never again. Seems silly now but I had nerve damage from the hacksaw blade that caused the cut, when the nurse attempted to remove them it was past painful.

Not as bad as pulling a well stuck bandaid off a hairy arm, and much cheaper than the clinic.

I'd go back and let the pros do it. But then, I've only got one body, I like it, and so I like treating it very nicely.

If you can hem your trousers and sew on a button, removing stitches should be easy. Just wait till the wound has healed and follow Sarah S's advice.

Make sure you take the stitches out after a week provided the wound has healed properly. If you leave them in to long the stitch holes will scar. Ask me how I know.

Cut as close as you can to the skin and pull from the other end so you don't pull the part of the stitch that has been exposed to dirt etc through your tissue

First wash the stitches with rubbing alcohol about 20 min before pulling them out. I say wash to stress using lots so that you know the stitches themselves are sterile.

The 20 min is to allow time for it all to dry.

Then snip and pull slowly.

Taking 'em out is nothing. Real men put their own in. :cool:

Unless I had no insurance, I'd let the pros remove the stitches.

And I'm quite experienced at sewing (and, naturally, ripping out stitches, since that is just part of sewing).

The stitching part was painless, the needle used to numb the wound area stung like a *********er.

When DF was in assisted living he fell and had to get his head stapled. He refused lidocaine as it would delay the process. Doc just stapled him up, no fussing. Doc didn't ask what the hurry was about.

I got stitches removed at a hospital in Elko, NV on the way home from a road trip and they only charged me $20 (I think my insurance paid a percentage of it, but the base rate there was lower there than in CA.) I had either 1 or 2 stitches on my finger.

The stitching part was painless, the needle used to numb the wound area stung like a *********er.

I went through the same thing. I told the doc no shot the next time I needed stitches. Big mistake.

Sent from my iPhone :).using Early Retirement .//82339)

I cracked my head open when I was 18 and was given 5 stitches. I was broke and the ER that put them in said they'd charge $150 to pull them. I was having trouble paying for the original ER visit. A good friend worked at a veterinary clinic as a tech and said she'd do it for me for free.. Sold!

I've pulled stitches on my knee as well. In that case it was more a time/convenience thing. They were due to be pulled during finals week in college... No spare time.

Make sure the wound is clean and not infected. Do it the way Sarah S posted.

If it looks infected at all - go to the doctors/clinic.

I cracked my head open when I was 18 and was given 5 stitches. I was broke and the ER that put them in said they'd charge $150 to pull them. I was having trouble paying for the original ER visit. A good friend worked at a veterinary clinic as a tech and said she'd do it for me for free.. Sold!

And she didn't even have to put a muzzle on you so she didn't get bitten....:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom