Tax Question: Combining 1099-MISC's

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I received 13 separate 1099-MISC forms from Amazon. For example, one is a report of 89 cents of revenue from Amazon/Mexico.

In the past, I've entered the values from each 1099. :facepalm:

Can I instead, just add up all the numbers, and report it as if it were a single 1099? Maybe even just enter that total on the Schedule C?

Absolutely. You are to report your total gross income/revenue from your business from your own records, regardless if you receive a 1099MISC or not. Your revenue needs to be at least the sum of the 1099s to avoid obvious scrutiny.

I received 13 separate 1099-MISC forms from Amazon. For example, one is a report of 89 cents of revenue from Amazon/Mexico.

In the past, I've entered the values from each 1099. :facepalm:

Can I instead, just add up all the numbers, and report it as if it were a single 1099? Maybe even just enter that total on the Schedule C?

If you filed a paper return all your 1099-MISC income would get reported on Line 1 of Schedule C. So it seems like you should be able to do the same thing in tax software.

Good, thanks. I wish I'd realized that before.

Are the Payer's tax ID number the same on all the 1099-Misc?
In general you should enter 1099-Misc (or 1099-R, W2, etc) with all the required details correctly & in the 1099-Misc (or respective) form within the tax software.
IRS supposedly does a match of Payer ID with the amounts in boxes. If things don't agree, you may get a letter from the IRS and you would have to write them back with an explanation.

Are the Payer's tax ID number the same on all the 1099-Misc?
In general you should enter 1099-Misc (or 1099-R, W2, etc) with all the required details correctly & in the 1099-Misc (or respective) form within the tax software.
IRS supposedly does a match of Payer ID with the amounts in boxes. If things don't agree, you may get a letter from the IRS and you would have to write them back with an explanation.

All the ones from Amazon have the same payer ID. I also have one from Smashwords, with, of course, a different payer ID. So, I will treat these as two 1099-MISCs.

But I'm confused. The only thing that goes in with my return is the amount on the Gross Receipts line on Schedule C. Where would the IRS be doing a match with Payer ID?

Last edited:
Tax software to my knowledge does not transmit 1099 data when you e-file and certainly you do not transmit it if you mail in your return.

I don't know what data is transmitted when you e-file. However we were trained when entering W-2 and 1099-R data to make the screen copy look
exactly like the original including addresses, EINs . If the addresses were different from the actual, we are supposed to enter the original (incorrect) address and then correct it in another step/another place. It sure would be easier/faster only to worry about the numbers........I assumed that all the entered info was being transmitted, at least w/ this software but don't know for
sure.

I would also guess that IRS does a line total first and if that agrees w/ their results, they don't care about the details. For dividends, qualified dividends, capital gains distributions , my menagerie of funds does not fit on the paper
Sch B/D so I combine several funds on a single "sub" line (instead of using another Sch B). The line total is shown along w/ the "sub" line total and individual entries but I doubt IRS looks at that detail unless the grand total is off. Even then, I would guess they would make me justify the result rather than spending their time .

Where I have done volunteer taxes, the amount of detail entered depended on the form. Very little was entered for 1099-INT with 1099-R almost everything was entered.

For 1099-MISC where we enter the data was depndent on which form the data was feeding (ie Sch E, Sch C, 1040 line 21 etc.) My personal copy of TaxAct seems to be setup the same way.

I would think that you should be fine grouping 1099-MISC entries as long as the total of everything that is reported by payers under your SSN is reflected on your return.

Just make sure that when you group 1099-MISC that the income is being reported in the same box #s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom