Infrastructure Plays For The Smart-Phone Boom

ownyourfuture

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I took my mother to the clinic yesterday morning to go over her MRI with the doctor. In the waiting room, there were four other people, all of them 40+
All 4 had smartphones on their laps, Texting, playing games, etc.

By the time the appointment was over & we came back to the waiting room, there was 11 'new' people there. They were all 40+ & all but one of them was buried in his/her smartphone.

I realize this isn't anything new to any of you, but it really got me thinking about the 'telecom' part of my portfolio.

Related holdings in my 'taxable' brokerage account.
Apple AAPL
Consolidated Communications CNSL
Verizon VZ

Related holdings in my 'IRA' brokerage account.
AT&T T
Verizon VZ

I'd like to add another stock or 2 in the 'infrastructure' area.

Suggestions ?

Thanks!

How about an EFT, like FCOM, commission free at Fidelity. Or GOOG, they own Android.

Unfortunately, you really only have AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile for infrastructure. Just stick to AT&T and Verizon.

That said, I second Senator's suggestion for el GOOG.

Would the OP consider Canadian telecoms like Rogers Communication, BCE/Bell, Telus, or Shaw? I'm Canadian and have positions in BCE and Telus.
BCE and Telus are the incumbent telecoms in the east and west respectively and currently have >4% yields and are likely to grow their dividend by 5% per year. Rogers and Shaw are the incumbent cable providers in the east and west respectively with a wireless portfolio.

Unfortunately, you really only have AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile for infrastructure. Just stick to AT&T and Verizon.

That said, I second Senator's suggestion for el GOOG.

If someone prefers less stable telecom companies they could buy US Cellular (USM), also. Not exactly on my tracking list, myself though.

Thanks for the replies/suggestions :)
I'm going to check out all of them.

Unfortunately, I made a big mistake in my original post.
Instead of 'Infrastructure Plays 4 The Smart-Phone Boom',
I should have made the title 'Telecom Equipment Plays 4 The Smart-Phone Boom

Sorry for not addressing this mistake sooner, but shortly after I made the original post, I had to leave & didn't get back until today :blush:

Following are the 'type' of companies I was actually looking for & hoping I could gain additional insight from ERF members.

CLRO
CLEARONE INC

UBNT
UBIQUITI NETWORKS INC

BRCD
BROCADE COMMUNICATIONS SYS

NSAT
NORSAT INTL INC

NTGR
NETGEAR INC

IDCC
INTERDIGITAL INC

VSAT
VIASAT INC

JNPR
JUNIPER NETWORKS INC

Cisco
Corning (makes optic fiber & gorilla glass)
Alcatel
Samsung
Level3 (backbone networks)
Huawei

None are recommendations, but it fits your list of examples and are rather large. I know Level3 is a carrier, I'd still include them because they are B2B.

And then there are a bunch of small and big manufacturers of telco equipment components, like tunable lasers, splicers and such.

Of course good ole Intel & AMD.

Cisco
Corning (makes optic fiber & gorilla glass)
Alcatel
Samsung
Level3 (backbone networks)
Huawei

None are recommendations, but it fits your list of examples and are rather large. I know Level3 is a carrier, I'd still include them because they are B2B.

And then there are a bunch of small and big manufacturers of telco equipment components, like tunable lasers, splicers and such.

Of course good ole Intel & AMD.

Thanks for the info
I already own Intel, considering adding Cisco and/or Corning.

Hoping Intel can gain ground in the cell phone chip market soon.

Last edited:
This thread is bringing memories of 1999 back with some of the names mentioned. They would have someone a fortune back then, provided they sold before the crash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom