Has anyone done the coast to coast walk in England (that goes thru Lake District) .

mh

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone done the coast to coast walk in England (that goes thru Lake Distr...

Has anyone done the coast to coast walk in England (that goes thru Lake District) ?
REI and national geographic have tours that look interesting - I am inclined to use a tour since I will probably be going solo. Anyone have any comments recommendations? I'm not set on this particular trek but it looks like fun and I enjoyed the couple days I spent in the Lake District many years ago.

If you have any summertime treks like this that stop in huts or hotels that you can recommend I would be interested in hearing about those.

I went on a Iceland highlands-to-the-south-coast trek / tour a while back that was really great so I am looking for something similar.

It had Lots of great hiking and stays overnight at mountain cabins ( No tent camping ) at night so you just take your day pack on each leg.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Has anyone done the coast to coast walk in England (that goes thru Lake Distr...

I don't do tours but will be at the Lake District for a few days or at least a week. I'm going to see all the old castles in Northern England. There was a show on the BBC recently. I'm keen in going to see Durham castle, the one that Sting was playing his Xmas DVD.

Last edited:
I've met and talked to people doing the coast to coast where porters transfer your gear from stop to stop and they all had very good things to say about it. The folks I have talked to were all in N. Yorkshire, well on the way to their finishing point in Robin Hood's bay. I don't recall which particular company they were with.

One morning for breakfast we went to The Lion at Blakey Ridge and saw a bunch of them loading their gear into a van before setting off. To stay at The Lion is not a bad thing to do after a days hiking. (I've no idea about the quality of other popular spots on route)

The Lion Inn, Blakey Ridge, Kirkbymoorside, North Yorks

I started to, but the fifth clotted cream scone in the lake district stopped me dead in my tracks.

Try the Inca trail, they have porters to carry all your stuff.

I've contemplated the inca trail on occasion but had the concern that it would be a bit too crowded due to its popularity - that's just speculation on my part though

I've met and talked to people doing the coast to coast where porters transfer your gear from stop to stop and they all had very good things to say about it. The folks I have talked to were all in N. Yorkshire, well on the way to their finishing point in Robin Hood's bay. I don't recall which particular company they were with.

One morning for breakfast we went to The Lion at Blakey Ridge and saw a bunch of them loading their gear into a van before setting off. To stay at The Lion is not a bad thing to do after a days hiking. (I've no idea about the quality of other popular spots on route)

The Lion Inn, Blakey Ridge, Kirkbymoorside, North Yorks

Thanks I'll keep an eye out to see if it's included on any of the tours

I don't do tours but will be at the Lake District for a few days or at least a week. I'm going to see all the old castles in Northern England. There was a show on the BBC recently. I'm keen in going to see Durham castle, the one that Sting was playing his Xmas DVD.

Tours usually don't interest me either but trekking by myself in the Icelandic highlands for a couple weeks didn't seem too smart and I was very happy with the experience . So while you likely won't end up dead if you get lost in the Lake District , I figured I'd give the organized trek thing another try.

If you can manage , take a ride on the steamer boat on coniston water - I think some of the early speed boat speed records were done in that area

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/steam-yacht-gondola

I've contemplated the inca trail on occasion but had the concern that it would be a bit too crowded due to its popularity - that's just speculation on my part though

It can be very crowded around Machu Picchu as that is a national park and many hike up to the Sun Gate. The rest of the trail is controlled by the government: you must go with a guide, and the number of hikers on the trail is regulated.

In addition, for a majority of Peruvians, walking the trail is part of a cultural religious belief. They still need a guide.

Never been (I live in Lima),but seeing the thousands of tourists day in and day out here for the past 13 years, I suspect your speculations are correct. Have a client at my wife's penthouse who is a famed US archaeologist who is leading the team to control the flow of people at Machu Picchu. I will have to ask him as my Daughter and her fiance are contemplating it as well.I have heard that there is an alternate route that has been discovered, but do not know if it is cleared and functional yet.

Back
Top Bottom