Cost of Healthcare in foreign countries

pug_ster

Dryer sheet wannabe
I am a ways off from retirement and I am thinking of living in a foreign country during my late 50's to 65-70. I am thinking of places to retire in several countries like Malaysia, Panama, Thailand, and Ecuador 'retirement friendly' countries. Assuming that you are relatively healthy, would you recommend to get healthcare and if so how much would that cost?

Another question is if I am not healthy and require costly treatments, would it be worth it to. 1) Stay in the states and Obama care until Medicaid kicks in or 2) See how much it cost for health care in foreign country and see how that goes.

Here in Peru full coverage ($0 deductible), Starts at S/.7.000 a year ($2,000) at age 61 and rises about $300 every year until 71 where it caps out S/.15.665 ($4,675) until you die. I would imagine similar rates around SA through Pacifico Seguros.

Here in Peru full coverage ($0 deductible), Starts at S/.7.000 a year ($2,000) at age 61 and rises about $300 every year until 71 where it caps out S/.15.665 ($4,675) until you die. I would imagine similar rates around SA through Pacifico Seguros.

Thanks for your response. Do they exclude you if you have some kind of condition? Not that I have any, just curious.

what coverage do you get for this?

Thanks for your response. Do they exclude you if you have some kind of condition? Not that I have any, just curious.
Not an expert but my belief is they will not exclude you, but will exclude the condition.

what coverage do you get for this?

It covers up to S/.3,200,000.00 per year (Currently $955,000.00)

If you are curious go to Seguros de salud, vehicular, vida, viajes y más | Pacífico Seguros
There are 3-4 other companies that sell policies as well.

I am a ways off from retirement and I am thinking of living in a foreign country during my late 50's to 65-70. I am thinking of places to retire in several countries like Malaysia, Panama, Thailand, and Ecuador 'retirement friendly' countries.

Have you spent much time in any of these countries?

In many ways each one is pretty different from the others, and that includes approaches to health care. My suggestion would be to spend as much time as possible in any foreign country you're thinking of retiring to make sure it's a good fit.

For specifics on things like healthcare, there are plenty of expat discussion boards dedicated to popular retirement destinations like Thailand, etc. You'll find better info from people who are living in the countries that interest you. I could be wrong, but it seems like most regular contributors to ER.org primarily live in the US.

Last edited:
Yes I think you have to decide on the destination country and then research it specifically. We did that as snowbirds and decided to skip the US as a destination in 2002. Here is an example of what we used to help us decide on Mexico:
Expats in Mexico
but they cover many countries throughout the world.

A popular ex-pat strategy is once you are on medicare: Once a year you fly to the USA and walk into a well respected hospital complaining of chest pain.You get a good free work up and then when you return home anything that showed up in your various tests can be attended to back in your host country.

A popular ex-pat strategy is once you are on medicare: Once a year you fly to the USA and walk into a well respected hospital complaining of chest pain.You get a good free work up and then when you return home anything that showed up in your various tests can be attended to back in your host country.

That's brilliant ..never heard of that 😈

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Reminds me of the type of person that would walk into a Best Buy store, pump the salesperson for information/demonstration on a certain item he was interested in, then turn around & order it from Amazon.

Jim Cramer from CNBC once admitted to doing that.

I've never watched the ******* since.

Last edited:
My spouse cracked a vertebrae in her back in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) one year ago while we were travelling.

She went to hospital at noon and was immediately taken into emerg. She had an X-ray and consult by 1pm. They decided to do an MRI. A radiologist was brought in on call. By 3:30 she had another consult, been given a written report, the X-rays, a CD of the scan, and a prescription. Back to the hotel by 4PM. Total cost...$720 CAD. Adjusted for exchange probably $550.USD

This is one of the dumbest things someone can do. Many people simply do not understand what a dangerous place a hospital can be for a healthy person. One doesn't see doctors getting 'executive' physicals and it isn't because they aren't executives... it's generally because these money makers are a very bad idea.

Last edited:
Emergency rooms in the US are typically not places where you can get a "good free work up". You will spend hours waiting, can expect to get only tests related to specific symptom, and you will be charged the most expensive rates in the world.
Yes I think you have to decide on the destination country and then research it specifically. We did that as snowbirds and decided to skip the US as a destination in 2002. Here is an example of what we used to help us decide on Mexico:
Expats in Mexico
but they cover many countries throughout the world.
+1

This is one of the dumbest things someone can do.

Not to mention that when you walk into a busy ER complaining of chest pain, they're going to treat you potentially ahead of someone who is in the ER with real problems - maybe even someone with actual chest pains.

Pretty hideously selfish way to save a few freaking bucks.

Last edited:
Not to mention that when you walk into a busy ER complaining of chest pain, they're going to treat you potentially ahead of someone who is in the ER with real problems - maybe even someone with actual chest pains.

Pretty hideously selfish way to save a few freaking bucks.

Reminds me of my father who 30 years ago checked into an ER with chest pains. He was in ICU for 4 days and they could not find anything wrong. Turns out it was "Gas pains" from the 15 bean soup he made for lunch. The Doctors were happy, Medicare not so much.

Why not just go to the host country medical system for problems? Would they not be likely to pick up on them?

Have you spent much time in any of these countries?

In many ways each one is pretty different from the others, and that includes approaches to health care. My suggestion would be to spend as much time as possible in any foreign country you're thinking of retiring to make sure it's a good fit.

For specifics on things like healthcare, there are plenty of expat discussion boards dedicated to popular retirement destinations like Thailand, etc. You'll find better info from people who are living in the countries that interest you. I could be wrong, but it seems like most regular contributors to ER.org primarily live in the US.

Unfortunately, I haven't spent much time outside the states, but mostly on vacations. I spend most of my time here at home in the net anyways. I am not a picky eater. Thanks for your suggestions, as maybe I will go to the expatforum for that question.

ownyourfuture said:
Reminds me of the type of person that would walk into a Best Buy store, pump the salesperson for information/demonstration on a certain item he was interested in, then turn around & order it from Amazon.

Best Buy and Walmart, in fact, both, do a price match.

Thus, simply show the item on your smart phone or tablet, they will honor the price, no quibbles, have used it at checkout.

Best Buy and Walmart, in fact, both, do a price match.

Thus, simply show the item on your smart phone or tablet, they will honor the price, no quibbles, have used it at checkout.

Wasn't aware of that.

Thanks!

A strategy recently used at one local Best Buy (we live abroad now much of the year but maintain a primary residence in lower 48):

Amazon Prime member, a crazy sale for 24 hours (or maybe only valid until supplies exhausted..), announced on Prime member page(s)

Picked up a sale matching unlocked latest and greatest Samsung Galaxy phone for 49 from Best Buy. Normal price would have been over 450.

Inserted SIM chip, placed old phone in pocket and dialed away....

Back
Top Bottom