ER Euphemisms

Htown Harry

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Reminds me of the acronym floating around in Saudi as the contract neared its end and the company was downsizing:

FOCUS.

F-Off-'Cause-yoU're-Surplus.

All corporate-speak qualifies...

As for acronyms, I invented one for "super-hot" projects that, after busting a hump, jumping through hoops, and basically doing the impossible, then sat on a shelf, forgotten:

Super Highly Important Test

The company that I worked for layed off people starting in the early 90's and are still doing it. Here are some of the various terms HR used for firing people.

layoffs, voluntary retirement, transition packages, value recapture (in 2 merger situations), downsizing, re-alignment, rightsizing, management ratio rebalancing, efficiency actions, and a few more that I cannot remember. I think my all time favourite was value recapture.

I like to say I'm Funemployed to those that know, but mostly I just say I'm a freelancer and can pick and choose my own hours (currently I choose zero working hours).

Not ER, but from my time as a student:

Professor in packed room of students: "We have established a mutual discrepancy in our result records regarding the outcome of the examinations."

... *confused silence* ... *paper ruffles* ...

Professor: "Mr. x who was proclaimed as not having passed the exams, actually did pass."

Mr .x, somewhere in the back: "YES!!"

Professor: "Session concluded".

layoffs, voluntary retirement, transition packages, value recapture (in 2 merger situations), downsizing, re-alignment, rightsizing, management ratio rebalancing, efficiency actions, and a few more that I cannot remember. I think my all time favourite was value recapture.

Delayering. Cost synergy acceleration. Grow or go program.

Reminds me of the acronym floating around in Saudi as the contract neared its end and the company was downsizing:

FOCUS.

F-Off-'Cause-yoU're-Surplus.

To be clear: That's not how I chose my early-retirement.org name! :LOL:

These strike me as corporate layoff euphemisms, not ER euphemisms...

Having said that, GTE once got rid of an entire management/structure layer (regional offices) which was referred to as 'process re-engineering' - I thought that had a very nice ring to it. :)

Back in my working days in the 1990s, my old company underwent one of its many reorganizations, mainly at the upper management level. When the new organizational chart was given out to everyone, I noticed that one VP's name was missing. I happened to ask the bigwig running the meeting what happened to Mr. X. We were told that "His position was eliminated." Ouch.

All corporate-speak qualifies...

As for acronyms, I invented one for "super-hot" projects that, after busting a hump, jumping through hoops, and basically doing the impossible, then sat on a shelf, forgotten:

Super Highly Important Test

We used to have the same acronym:

Super High Intensive Training

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom