Post your comfortable shoe recommendations here

Not so much a brand thing for me. But I do buy almost all of my footwear at Bass Pro Shop. Mostly buy hiking shoes and boots, but also some casual and Crocks. I have short, fat feet and they most always have wide sizes. The price range and quality works out well for me.

The big shoe stores most always disappoint.

Also, BPS has guns, grills, fishing gear and other things that can make "getting new hiking boots" a delightfully expensive experience. :LOL:

I loved my Skechers Harmony tennis shoes. I have a small seed corn in the middle of the ball of my right foot. When I walked wearing these shoes, I could not feel any pain. I bought a different pair of Skechers and the sole of the shoe is not as thick, and I can feel pain if I walk on a small pebble. Amazon has a few pairs, but not my size. It looks like they have newer models and are not making the Harmony anymore.

Harllee has a thread regarding she hates it when they discontinue shoes and on that thread she stated that she searched on eBay. I never thought to look on eBay and I found a pair of Skechers black/pink Harmony shoes. I am not a big pink person, but they are mostly black. I just ordered them.

I love Early Retirement forum and our members suggestions!

Brooks Adrenaline running shoes for kicking booty. Keen Whispers for closed toe sandals.

I have Clarks dress shoes that I like. I have worn Asics Cadence running shoes for years and now of course they have discontinued that style. I have a thread about discontinued shoes.

Harllee has a thread regarding she hates it when they discontinue shoes and on that thread she stated that she searched on eBay. I never thought to look on eBay and I found a pair of Skechers black/pink Harmony shoes. I am not a big pink person, but they are mostly black. I just ordered them.

I love Early Retirement forum and our members suggestions!

Good for you! Once I find a shoe style I like that fits me I go on Ebay and buy several pairs of that shoe. That works well for me until they discontinue the shoe and I cannot find it anymore.

In Florida we (DW & I) wear flip flops most days, both in the house and out. Not the $5 cheap variety, a good supportive type that one can find from Costco and good shoe stores in spring / early summer. I usually buy 2 or 3 pairs at a time. Of course no socks.

For the Cooler days, I wear Sperry Top siders or Dockers loafers, all Slip-on, no laces in this house except for walking sneakers. Usually no socks, but when it gets to, or below about 50 Degrees I may give in to those short white mini socks, but not often. There double up as dress shoes, but we very rarely get dressed up for anything anymore.

I have a great pair of open sandals with great support that I prefer to Sneakers for Walking. I also have a pair of "Dress" sandals that get more use than the dress shoe options.

I own eight pairs of Merrell's. My back and knees began aching in the late 90's. A nurse told me about Merrell's and I've worn them ever since. No back or knee issues to this day. They slide on and off easily, I walk long distances in them and can run in them. I walk on uneven terrain with the dog often. They are expensive but last many, many years. My suede pairs get dry cleaned and last even longer.

Keen makes the most comfortable running shoes and sandals that I've found. Crocs are also very good. I found a pair of Crocs loafers that do not look like Crocs at all, for those who want a normal shoe look.

Altra is now my go-to running shoe for their width in the toebox, that I need for my Morton's neuroma. They are comfy too. The zero-drop may take some getting used to.

I wear Teva sandals when the weather is warmer and can walk long distances without my feet hurting.

I wear socks and Isotoner ballerina slippers year round in the house. We have hardwood floors and my one foot would definitely hurt without some padding.

In the past decade or so I have settled on Clarks as my only shoe source. I have them in dress varieties, walking shoes and boots, and canvas ("tennis") shoes for casual use. Most important, they have a large selection of their shoes in wide versions -- these save me, especially here in Europe where the standard lasts are always narrow/normal.

I have learned, alas, that they tend to redesign regularly and old models will suddenly disappear from their stores. So, when I find something I *really* like, I buy a bunch of them and store them away in the closet. Right now, my supply of canvas tennis shoes will last me for 10 years or more!

-BB

I am in the market for a good pair of walking shoes I can use while traveling, so I thought I would resurrect this thread and see if anybody could add anything to it.

Any followup information or new information is appreciated.

Merrell Moab Ventilators - Last year I wore them on a float fishing/hiking trip to Montana and for a month while travelling Europe. A friend has hiked over 500 miles of the AP in Merrell's (might have been a pair and a half). They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. They are my daily shoes. Typing this message in Merrells! Several color options are available.

Last edited:
Ecco or Keen sandals in summer. Like some others here I am also a convert from NB to Brooks running shoes. I have a few pairs of comfortable Clarks, SAS and Ecco loafers. Also a fan of short La Canadienne boots for cold weather, and Ferragamo pumps for dress (my dress shoes are quite old at this point but the style hasn't changed).

Skechers but only those with air cooled memory foam insoles. They mold to my feet so I don't have to wear my podiatrist inserts. Inserts in store never work for me

I have found Costco running shoes for $20 to be great.
I do have a hard time buying shoes for my feet.
They have memory foam inserts and last for a couple of years, then I get a new pair.
I have traveled to many countries with them and never even thought about them as they are so comfortable.

The first pair I had, started to slip the insole around, but I bought a different kind of insole for $4 and it was perfect again. This second pair has no slippage.

6031404.attach

Kurus are the ones for me. Learned about them from an earlier post on this forum and now, no other walking shoe will do.

I have had foot problems my whole life. Ariat Terrain hiking boots are my go-to comfort shoes for anything outside the house except weddings and funerals, I even wore them at Megacorp at times. I use them for everything from grocery shopping to yard work to hunting and hiking. Very comfortableScreenshot_20181230-132303_Chrome.jpeg

In the past decade or so I have settled on Clarks as my only shoe source. I have them in dress varieties, walking shoes and boots, and canvas ("tennis") shoes for casual use. Most important, they have a large selection of their shoes in wide versions -- these save me, especially here in Europe where the standard lasts are always narrow/normal.

I have learned, alas, that they tend to redesign regularly and old models will suddenly disappear from their stores. So, when I find something I *really* like, I buy a bunch of them and store them away in the closet. Right now, my supply of canvas tennis shoes will last me for 10 years or more!

-BB

Smart to buy a version you like in multiple pairs. I bought about 7 or 8 of my favorite running shoes and now they are all worn out but alas the style is discontinued.

I pretty much live in my Keen Newport H2 sandals. My dogs gotta breath. Once or twice a month I may wear a pair of shoes if I have to.

Cheers!

Merrell Moab Ventilators - Last year I wore them on a float fishing/hiking trip to Montana and for a month while travelling Europe. A friend has hiked over 500 miles of the AP in Merrell's (might have been a pair and a half). They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. They are my daily shoes. Typing this message in Merrells! Several color options are available.

Same here with these. However, I seem to be wearing out a pair every year. This year's pair of Ventilators is coming apart around the toe area. 10 minute epoxy has glued them back together for another few months. But I beat the hell out of them daily.

Back
Top Bottom