The battle

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
If the Mrs were sitting beside me here outside just after sundown by now she would have several 'bites' and oh how I'd hear about it. Bites were always bad but this zeka thing has breathed new life into the horror of being bitten. Funny but come to think of it while I was at work she harvested the first of the new potatoes and I didn't hear word one about 'bites' - clearly an oversight on her part. She recently threatened to give up spending any time in the vegetable garden - the skeeters seem to do their best work there. She apparently has relented -she was out a few minutes ago and watered the tomato pots and the garden so I'll no doubt get an update on the bite count when I finally go in.

For whatever reason your average mosquito considers my blood to be like bad wine - to be avoided. Her's is like a 100 year old perfectly stored vintage burgundy - I swear they will fly over me to get at her. I find it slightly concerning that this is so - I have to wonder: exactly what is wrong with my blood?

It isn't just the mosquitos it also is ants. We are currently suffering from an ant problem. All her efforts to vanquish the little devils have been unsuccessful. Exactly why we have them at all is also a mystery - the Mrs keeps a tidy kitchen. Still I must suffer through the daily tally 'I killed 4 of them today' are you leaving crumbs? I have been married a long time and I respond 'really 4', 'nasty bite' and 'no crumbs I swear'. I have to wonder if all suburban women are bug-a-phobs?

There is some good news in dogville the stink bug invasion has subsided. We keep a jar handy with a bit of oil in it. Any stinker is quickly collected and given the oil treatment. A while back we had 3 or 4 bug nights - all that ducking got old fast. I must say there is an element of danger living with a bug-a-phob. A bug discovered on the phobic person body often leads to violent flailing movement. In those cases it helps to be fleet of foot to keep ones distance...

I must admit to being affected by the phobia. I always cover my coffee my if I step away, my son made that mistake one night with his vanilla shake. Who would of though suburbia could be such a jungle...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
The whole zeka thing is almost laughable at how scared people are becoming. The odds of getting zeka in the states so insanely rare...even with summer in full swing. You may want to be more worried about being killed in a car accident...chances are much much higher.

The whole zeka thing is almost laughable at how scared people are becoming. The odds of getting zeka in the states so insanely rare...even with summer in full swing. You may want to be more worried about being killed in a car accident...chances are much much higher.
There are already 1400 cases in Puerto Rico - it is clearly a critical situation there. Not sure how long it will take before we see a "locally acquired case" (a CDC term) on the mainland, but the consequences are devastating, to say the least. I would suggest toning down the rhetoric on this.

CDC page on Zika Zika virus in the United States | Zika virus | CDC

Oh zika is coming to the states...no doubt about it. I still stand behind the fact that the chances of getting killed in an auto accident are higher.

Even if 10,000 people acquire zika in the states...considering there 300million+ of us...again...insanely small percentage. Over 30,000 die in auto accidents each year in the united states alone.

Unfortunately its going to take someone with a high profile to acquire it...then research will be ramped up to find a cure.

The skeeters used to love me until a friend forced me to try Avon Skin-So-Soft. It's not advertised as a bug repellent, but it's like magic at keeping the bugs away, and the sponsor wants me to add, "And now my skin is so soft too!" The original version has the bug repellant properties. A quick look online shows Avon now offers versions with repellent additives.

Last edited:

Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold.

I am also one who will attract skitters from miles away...

There was once I looked down at my ankles and they were black with them.... looked at my DWs and she had none... zip, nada...

I wish I knew what it was as I would change it quickly...

Oh zika is coming to the states...no doubt about it. I still stand behind the fact that the chances of getting killed in an auto accident are higher.

Even if 10,000 people acquire zika in the states...considering there 300million+ of us...again...insanely small percentage. Over 30,000 die in auto accidents each year in the united states alone.

Unfortunately its going to take someone with a high profile to acquire it...then research will be ramped up to find a cure.

Is it even a threat to healthy adults?

BTW - Lawn service sales guy called the other day offering to upgrade my service to include mosquito spraying. I told him no but inquired about the price. Was told it was $70 -- then it came out that was per application!

This thread might get more looks if the title reflected the content.

"The battle"? Inflation, investing in these times, politics, divorce, history, disagreement with your car mechanic?

And I use the 'portal' for viewing, rarely notice what sub-forum something is in.

I'm not sure if there are any community guidelines on titles (maybe there should be?), but it's similar to the 'naked links' concept - tell us something useful please.

-ERD50

"The battle"? Inflation, investing in these times, politics, divorce, history, disagreement with your car mechanic?

And I use the 'portal' for viewing, rarely notice what sub-forum something is in.

I'm not sure if there are any community guidelines on titles (maybe there should be?), but it's similar to the 'naked links' concept - tell us something useful please.

-ERD50
The thread has 325 views so far, so it's getting attention. No rules specifically on thread titles, in each case the OP makes the choice.

I enjoyed the original post, maybe because I see a kinship. We (DW and I) have carpenter ants sending scouts into the house every year and every year it is the same discussion and every year we smash a few and they retreat.

Rory McIlroy is skipping the Olympics because of Zika threat. Rory McIlroy Pulls Out of Rio Over Zika - The Daily Beast

He is engaged and he and his fiancée are planning to start a family. Recent studies suggest that males who catch Zika virus may continue to harbour it in their semen for a prolonged period, the limits of which are unknown.

Detection of Zika Virus in Semen - Volume 22, Number 5—May 2016 - Emerging Infectious Disease journal - CDC

It has green suggested that he has other motives (not playing well right now, loyalty to two countries) but I can well believe that this decision was made weighing the sporting benefits versus the health risks.

Mosquitoes are, of course, also responsible for transmitting other serious diseases, notably malaria and West Nile virus.

Last edited:

-ERD50
This is rayinpenn's trademark/hook. He usually has a "thought out" title for the threads he starts. "The battle, An Adult Fantasy..., Every now and then Nature..., Handcuffed in Pennsylvania..., I am my Father..., Tomato day..." All designed to catch the eye...and then he tells a story. Writer?? Politician??

OP - that is so funny. . .

The other day I heard a scream from the kitchen, and i ran downstairs to find DW staring at a line of ants marching into the kitchen sink (strainer was dirty).
They were super tiny yellow or pale ones, never seen any so small.

I turned on the hot water and washed them down. repeated this every 15 minutes and in 2 hrs they were all gone, and none have returned today. Must have emptied the nest :D

DW and I have the same issue with mosquitoes, I too have bad blood :)

As for the Zika virus, it will come here and thrive enough to be a problem. Besides the fact it can harm adults, the issue how it harms a fetus means a lifetime of huge expense for society as the number of Zika babies increases.
I'm hoping for a vaccine.

I have to wonder if all suburban women are bug-a-phobs?

If my DW isn't your DW's sister they are at least cousins. She firmly believes that the only good bug is a dead bug. Even if it is where it belongs, outside.

She has cans (note the plural) of bug spray in the kitchen, basement family room, screened back porch, and some backups in the pantry. No bug that ever dares to trespass in this house will leave it alive.

The thread has 325 views so far, so it's getting attention. No rules specifically on thread titles, in each case the OP makes the choice.

This is rayinpenn's trademark/hook. He usually has a "thought out" title for the threads he starts. "The battle, An Adult Fantasy..., Every now and then Nature..., Handcuffed in Pennsylvania..., I am my Father..., Tomato day..." All designed to catch the eye...and then he tells a story. Writer?? Politician??

Yeah, I noticed. I guess I could post in the "Pet Peeve" thread :LOL:

Chalk it up to poor short-term memory. When a thread title isn't descriptive, I click again and then "Oh that!" :facepalm:

And later, if I am interested in the subject, it makes it hard to find. But I'll live :cool:

A while back, I did ask T-Al if he could add something to his posts that were for his book ideas, and he graciously complied. IMO, much better to be reminded that the topic isn't really about that subject, but a subject for his book ideas (which were fun threads, but I clicked too many times expecting something else).

-ERD50

Is it even a threat to healthy adults?

BTW - Lawn service sales guy called the other day offering to upgrade my service to include mosquito spraying. I told him no but inquired about the price. Was told it was $70 -- then it came out that was per application!

Wife finally talked me into have place treated. I did not think it would be worth the cost. We live in the woods and the skeaters are terrible. The spraying service works unbelievably well. I was totally wrong. Worth every penny.

Possibly some of our forum environmentalists might cringe to hear this, but anyway our urban suburb is periodically fogged with insecticide both by truck and by planes. It is WONDERFUL. I have never once been bitten by a mosquito in this suburb, and have never seen or heard of any bad effects from the insecticide. We still have wasp nests, termites, and the occasional water bug or ant invasion, but nothing like what I have seen in other Southern locations.

I think the reason why they insist on such radical mosquito control is that some of the first West Nile cases occurred in our suburb many years ago. We also get frequent commercials reminding us to not ever leave standing water in birdbaths and so on and to check for standing water after it rains. I am confident that our mosquito control will help to prevent any problems with zika.

Last edited:
we had a bunch of mosquito control in Houston but we had west nile pretty bad back in the day - one of the guys at my golf club got it

first zika baby was just born in FL
By that I take it you mean the first mother infected with zika that gave birth to a baby with microcephaly.

I think the reason why they insist on such radical mosquito control is that some of the first West Nile cases occurred in our suburb many years ago. We also get frequent commercials reminding us to not ever leave standing water in birdbaths and so on and to check for standing water after it rains. I am confident that our mosquito control will help to prevent any problems with zika.
I hope you're right. Other mosquito-borne diseases, such as malaria and dengue, still continue to plague the world, contained but not eradicated. I suspect we need a vaccine for Zika.

[...]I am confident that our mosquito control will help to prevent any problems with zika.
I hope you're right. Other mosquito-borne diseases, such as malaria and dengue, still continue to plague the world, contained but not eradicated. I suspect we need a vaccine for Zika.
Yes, we do need a vaccine if one can be developed. Also you're right - - now that I think about it, we could get Zika in some other location that doesn't have good mosquito control like what we have, and then come home with it. I don't think I would get it here, because I have never been bitten by a mosquito here.

Back
Top Bottom