UK leaving EU, buying opportunities ?

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Might be time to loosen the old purse strings and look for some deals.

I know a few board members, including myself have some trips to England coming up is anyone considering getting some British pounds, it was bouncing around in the 1.30 area for a time last night.

I go in November and am wondering if I should just get some pounds from my bank.

I know a few board members, including myself have some trips to England coming up is anyone considering getting some British pounds, it was bouncing around in the 1.30 area for a time last night.

I go in November and am wondering if I should just get some pounds from my bank.

Once you have the pounds, do you just put them in a mattress and hope they go up in value? Is there a transaction fee? How much is the percentage to get in and out of physical currency? It seems like you would have to buy a LOT to make up for the transaction fee(s).

Or is it better to just buy foreign currency on the stock exchanges? Or a British ETF? Or just a S&P ETF?

Once you have the pounds, do you just put them in a mattress and hope they go up in value? Is there a transaction fee? How much is the percentage to get in and out of physical currency? It seems like you would have to buy a LOT to make up for the transaction fee(s).

Or is it better to just buy foreign currency on the stock exchanges? Or a British ETF? Or just a S&P ETF?

These pounds would be spent in England...it would only be enough for personal vacation use. I usually just ATM it but was thinking around getting them from my bank.

These pounds would be spent in England...it would only be enough for personal vacation use. I usually just ATM it but was thinking around getting them from my bank.

It will cost you an additional 5 to 6%.

It will cost you an additional 5 to 6%.

I know, I wonder if it would be worth it, the pound was at a 32 year low last night. At 1.30 it would cost me around 1.37...that seems pretty reasonable and also eliminates some hassle such as ATM foul-ups, chip and pin mistakes and such.

We don't even know for sure whether the UK *will* leave the EU. This was a non-binding advisory vote, though it does put some pressure on Parliament. The uncertainty may produce more buying opportunities than the actual event itself would.

Might be a good dip. Not sure it will be as good of a dip as we got at the beginning of the year though.

Financial services and housing in the UK is getting a good clobbering.

Double digit drops there, up to 30% in GBP.

Yesterday : Boy, I'm a genious for being so heavily allocated to foreign (about 45%)

This morning : Boy, I really shouldn't be so heavily invested in foreign, what am I thinking

The last hour : Oh look, there is a bit of spare cash in one of my accounts, lets buy some more foreign (VSS).

I bought some VSS and VEA. Nothing life changing. Not super worried or excited. I think this is more hooplah than substance at this point. Of course... could be start of a bigger change which I also can't control so...

I guess onward :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Put a few buy orders in this morn, with limits. But the sale/corrections wasn't as deep as the press noise would lead one to believe. Doubt if any will be executed today. Revisit next week

I think its a very good time to buy overseas securities if you can stomach a rocky road. European indexes got pounded in absolute terms and the dollar strengthened so your purchasing power went up. (Of course, existing holding also got spanked extra hard as well.)

I think it will be bumpy but these things are usually overdone in the near term. Of course, the next time Greece, Spain or someone else wobbles there will be completely hyperventilating that the EU/Euro is about implode.

Still, I intend to go shopping.

I just put in an order to clean out my MM account and buy international... unfortunately not a lot of $$$$ as I rebalanced recently but I know a sale when I see one.

Never mind pounds; what about euros? Everything EU must be taking a hit, or about to.

Yesterday : Boy, I'm a genious for being so heavily allocated to foreign (about 45%)

This morning : Boy, I really shouldn't be so heavily invested in foreign, what am I thinking

The last hour : Oh look, there is a bit of spare cash in one of my accounts, lets buy some more foreign (VSS).

+1

I have an even split between US and International equities. I haven't done poorly, but I would have done much better if I held less international. But I know the minute I change my allocation, the US would start lagging. So I guess it's time to buy some more International. :)

Our son asked me this morning if he should buy the British pound. He pays zero attention to this stuff and is thus very poorly informed. He is just thinking of reversion to the mean although he did not call it that.

My advise to him was unless you have special information that is more then the guy on the other side of the trade you should not engage in the trade.

Last edited:
I personally believe that the equity slide is much overblown. Still, I do not react to such events in either direction.

I bought some VSS and VEA. Nothing life changing. Not super worried or excited. I think this is more hooplah than substance at this point. Of course... could be start of a bigger change which I also can't control so...

I guess onward :)

+1 on the VEA. Its a ex us world fund. Impact should be minimal, but down about 7% today.

+1 on the VEA. Its a ex us world fund. Impact should be minimal, but down about 7% today.

Right. GB is like 6% of the global economy so its assuming a total British collapse or huge contagion?

We don't even know for sure whether the UK *will* leave the EU. This was a non-binding advisory vote, though it does put some pressure on Parliament. The uncertainty may produce more buying opportunities than the actual event itself would.
Since this was in the UK, hopefully their leaders will recognize and honor the will of the people.

And I've been waiting for something to happen to create some short term buying opportunities. Made several trades (buys) today. Hopefully I will be able to pickup a few more early next week, at the price I'm currently willing to pay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom