Salt Lake City

RetireAge50

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Going to SLC for 5 days on business, never been before. Any suggested evening activities/restaurants/sights? Should DW and I bother with a $227 rental car or take the light rail everywhere?

Definitely check out both Park City and the Great Salt Lake itself. Also, if you're into this sort of thing, consider a guided tour of the main headquarters of the Mormon church downtown. It's pretty fascinating, even for a nonbeliever. The narrative you'll hear and the exhibits you'll see are... interesting. :angel:

[Edit to add]: I would recommend getting a rental car.

I am not Mormon, or even religious for that matter, but still found the tabernacle interesting. I'd stop by there. I would probably get a rental car and hit Park City and maybe drive west to check out the salt flats.

The Pioneer Memorial Museum is pretty interesting. A lot of artifacts from the westward expansion of this country. Also, the state capitol rotunda is very beautiful.

If you're there over the weekend just to let you know most restaurants are closed on Sundays.
For a good burger go to Hires Big H.

If you're there over the weekend just to let you know most restaurants are closed on Sundays.
For a good burger go to Hires Big H.

Many restaurants are open Sundays there (including Hires Big H), though indeed some are closed, so check first.

Ruth's Diner is a fun place to try (it's a short drive up a canyon), or maybe the Red Iguana. Market Street Grill is very good. And these are open Sundays.

Excellent! I'm actually starting to look forward to the trip now. Thanks!!

Depending on how much time is available you could take a quick drive to Antelope Island State Park....it's about 40 miles North of Salt Lake.

Now that you are in great shape, you can challenge yourself with one of my favorite area hikes.

Drive to the Alta Ski Resort and hike to Katherine's pass. About 900 ft. If you still need more, you can continue to sunset peak which is another 600ft higher. Sunset Peak is about 10,650 ft elevation.

I haven't been up this year, but have heard the wildflowers are starting to show.

Now that you are in great shape, you can challenge yourself with one of my favorite area hikes.

Drive to the Alta Ski Resort and hike to Katherine's pass. About 900 ft. If you still need more, you can continue to sunset peak which is another 600ft higher. Sunset Peak is about 10,650 ft elevation.

I haven't been up this year, but have heard the wildflowers are starting to show.

Thanks man. If I have time I'll check it out. Really appreciate all the feedback. This really is a great group of people.

I agree with Park City or up either Big or Little Cottonwood Canyons to the resorts there. To me, the mountains are the draw and fun to visit for short hikes, scenery, etc. Light Rail (Trax) runs primarily north and south, but you can catch it from the airport to downtown. For the downtown area, Trax is free (unless they've changed something). There is a lot to do and see. If you have time, there is the Museum of Natural History at the University of Utah about 4 miles east of downtown. Temple Square is the number one tourist stop (right downtown) and is worth seeing.

I agree with Ruth's Diner up Immigration Canyon, it's good food, great secluded scenery and decent prices. If you do decide to go to Temple Square, you might consider the Lion House, which was Brigham Young's primary residence. The food is homemade, very good and reasonable.

You can probably do without a car for the downtown activities and just rent one for the trips outside of town.

Depending on how much time is available you could take a quick drive to Antelope Island State Park....it's about 40 miles North of Salt Lake.

That's a good place to take a brief swim in the Great Salt Lake, since you float like a cork. But you have to ignore the flies and brine shrimp, and the smell. Make sure there are showers available if you get in, and don't let the water splash into your face!

You can also go some evening to listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir rehearse.....for free (if you're interested). It was pretty interesting to watch. Can't remember which evenings, but you can google it. And don't worry, no one tries to "save you". It was very casual - walk in/walk out when you want.

I always wanted to see the Great Salt Lake....but I have to admit it was a bit anti-climatic. Water level is VERY low and I don't think I would ever swim in it. Kinda gross :p. But Antelope Island is a nice drive.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I always wanted to see the Great Salt Lake....but I have to admit it was a bit anti-climatic. Water level is VERY low and I don't think I would ever swim in it. Kinda gross :p. But Antelope Island is a nice drive.

[/QUOTE

Drove past the lake in IIRC '91. Water was lapping at I80. Drove all the way to Bendover (er, ah, I mean Wendover.) The salt flats are interesting, though I didn't make a stop. The drive up to the ski resorts (no snow this time of year) was interesting.

Glad to see this thread. We will be in SLC for three days in latter September before heading to Moab and points south.

Trip Advisor reviews mentioned the SLC library and Cathedral of the Madeleine as architecturally interesting in the downtown area.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I like the mountains surrounding it. We've spent some time in Evanston, near Bear Lake (Garden City), Logan, and Montpelier.

Gorgeous drive between Logan and Garden City.

Last edited:
Salt Lake City is my old stomping grounds. Went to undergraduate school there where I majored in powder skiing. Graduated with honors :LOL:

Seriously there is so much to do there, and getting into the mountains and out of the heat in the valley is a good call. Many good suggestions above.
In addition to those, might also suggest a breakfast at the silver fork lodge up big cottonwood canyon. Then up and over to park city via guardsmen pass, then on back to SLC. Have fun!

Back
Top Bottom