457 and tax implications of drawing money

rocks911

Recycles dryer sheets
So Im a firefighter and about to retire next year. I have a deferred comp 457 account that will supplement my monthly retirement check.

What are the tax implications in drawing money from my 457? Obviously I will owe federal tax but what I was specifically wondering was whether or not there was any difference in the funds Im invested in and what the tax implications are. For example I have my money invested over a range of funds, from stock funds to tax-free municipal bonds. When I start pulling money will it make any difference what funds I'm in? Will I have to specify which fund to pull money from or does it all just come off the top, so to speak?

Congrats on your upcoming retirement. I believe withdrawals from 457 plans are taxed as regular income regardless of what funds you are invested in.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

It depends upon the state, of course. Since Texas has no state tax, no worries for you. In Colorado where I live the first $20K of a pension gets an exception from state tax for folks over age 55. New Mexico, to where I will retire, only has exemptions from state tax for people that earn less than $55K (joint filing), so that rules me out from that one.

Withdrawals on 457 money is taxed as income like an IRA. The mutual funds that the money came from is not relevant.

Back
Top Bottom