A pivotal week.. We put her on the plane- I file for SS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
She was away most of the summer at an internship, then she had about 10 days to get it all together. Pack, buy the needed converters and learn to use her new Go Pro. To the DW and I she seemed to be moving in slow motion. The last couple of days have been stressful to say the least. I secretly was worried she would bail on this semester studying abroad; it is about as far away as you can get. Worse yet there is limited internet (simply barbaric eh?). We deposited her at the departing terminal, said the tearful goodbyes then circled the airport in case there was a last minute call -None came. The wife stayed up late so she could get the last text "I'm on the plane" in a distant US city for the long flight to a new experience. The Mrs asked me if I worry, I said what good would it do? (But yeah who wouldn't - thanks Liam Neeson) Over the years I've traveled the world with the job. I learned You have to be on your game and just be careful... I gave the advice that's all I can do.

I'm filing for SS in the next few days; yes it will be early. There's a number of reasons probably not the same as the average person but I'm not into being a conformist.

1) I suspect that at some not to distant time means based testing for SS will be implemented. I don't need to tell anyone there are those selling the hate the rich credo. I'm not by any means rich but when push comes to shove anyone making or having more then your average Kansas City bus driver is for them rich. If you've ever experienced the alternative minimum tax you know what I mean. It's bad enough SS is taxable but it will never be enough for the haters.

2) when I finally pull the pin on the job my SS will offset my health insurance premiums. The numbers are staggering and growing... $20k annually for health insurance for the 4 of us. DD graduates in May hopefully will land a job unless she goes to graduate school. I've read Aetna is bailing on the Obama care exchange business ... It can't be good

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Everyone makes their own choice but in my opinion at age 62 your first reason is baseless and shouldn't even enter into your decision. If this did happen it would first need to be a proposal, (which it isn't) debated by the slow pokes in Congress, opened for public comments and have a long lead time for implementation.

On number 2 a good point, yet if you are still working and have your insurances covered why wouldn't you let that number grow to give you more money to pay insurances costs.You are only 3 years away from Medicare where premium coverage might cost you 300-400 a month.and you just said your DD should be getting a job in the near future.

It has to do with working the numbers not being a conformist.

Everyone makes their own choice but in my opinion at age 62 your first reason is baseless and shouldn't even enter into your decision. If this did happen it would first need to be a proposal, (which it isn't) debated by the slow pokes in Congress, opened for public comments and have a long lead time for implementation.

In my humble opinion they will find a way..[mod edit]

On number 2 a good point, yet if you are still working and have your insurances covered why wouldn't you let that number grow to give you more money to pay insurances costs.You are only 3 years away from Medicare where premium coverage might cost you 300-400 a month. and you just said your DD should be getting a job in the near future.

It has to do with working the numbers not being a conformist.

Agreed... I know a bit about the numbers (MBA, MS) but in this case I choose to go with my gut.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom