Hi i'm Mike and almost retired

over50

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi I'm Mike, planning retirement soon, have savings in place and some investments. However, I would like to make some part-time money or at least using my experience in something useful to others.

I worked with the Oil & Gas industry almost my whole career, in the engineering and automation to be exact.

I saw this forum and seems very interesting so its time i should sign up !!:cool:

Welcome, Mike. My wife and I have been semi-retired for 3 years, and have a very part time business. Personally, I like the balance of a little extra cash, but the flexibility of only working when we want. It also keeps me off the streets...

We are able to shut down the business and travel for a week or two without problems. Nice gig.

Welcome Mike. I don't see a question in your post. Lots of great info on this site. Have you tracked your expenses for at least the past year? Have you fun your numbers thru FIRECalc? Link at the bottom of the page.

Good luck.

I am strongly considering that when I RE in 6 mo I will try to make a few bucks from my photography hobby.

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. Working a little part-time, or volunteering to help out, is fine if you want. The extra cash can be some nice fun money to blow on stuff above your normal budget.

I have said many times, you may have a job to retire from, but you need something to retire to. In your case that may include some work-type activity on a part-time basis.

Stick around, read a bunch, and i am sure you will become much better educated on financial smarts and having a successful retirement plan.

Welcome to another Canadian. Just be aware that a lot of the financial discussions here are US focused. Living in Toronto, if you own your home, you have an asset that could be monetized if you are prepared to move to a lower cost of living area. Is that a consideration for you?

Welcome. Feel free to post specific questions if you have them or else just hang out and I'm sure you'll pick up some useful info (or at least I know I did).

Hey welcome to the club and stay the course. The world is agianst you but we are not!

Being retired for 14 years and having worked on Toronto for 14 years, I can help.

Welcome to another Canadian. Just be aware that a lot of the financial discussions here are US focused. Living in Toronto, if you own your home, you have an asset that could be monetized if you are prepared to move to a lower cost of living area. Is that a consideration for you?

Yes i do know that. At the moment i do have enough real estate to keep me in place. I might move to the US or maybe even Europe.

Lets see what will happen.

Thanks to everyone for their welcoming messages

Mike,

Is there much of a craft brewing scene up in Toronto? If it exists and you like that industry, perhaps you could put your automation experience to work for a small brewery...

I have a buddy who spent a career in accounting/management for the commercial property industry. His friends in a growing brewery finally made him an offer he couldn't refuse and he seems to be enjoying his encore career in an entirely new back office.

Welcome!

-gauss

We semi-retired 4 years ago and love the balance. For us it is perfect. I work from home online so I don't have to go anywhere and can do it anywhere that has internet access.

Mike,

Is there much of a craft brewing scene up in Toronto? If it exists and you like that industry, perhaps you could put your automation experience to work for a small brewery...

I have a buddy who spent a career in accounting/management for the commercial property industry. His friends in a growing brewery finally made him an offer he couldn't refuse and he seems to be enjoying his encore career in an entirely new back office.

Welcome!

-gauss

Well that is an option, however I'm targeting more online consultancy or limited contracts in the automation or Oil and Gas. That way i would work much less frequent over the year and still earn doing something I'm very good at.
I am currently looking at some websites to use for finding such jobs, have a couple at the moment will let you know if they are any good.

Back
Top Bottom