Votes: 2 1.2%
  • < 12%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12 or more%

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Intrigued by other posts recently, so I thought I'd offer a poll based on what percentage of your primary home value you pay in property taxes.

Ignore any homestead/over 65 type exemptions; just report the rate as if you were not qualified for those.

In my case (Kentucky), it's just about 1.5% of my assessed home value.

It would be nice, although not required, if you could post your state/province/country.

There is no category for <0.5%, so I can't answer the poll.

The question is whether the appraised value is what your property is actually worth or is it more or less. Alabama appraised values are pretty accurate on a well maintained home. My county property taxes are about 2.75% to 3% or appraisal. City taxes will double that.

My wife was disabled, and we have no property taxes on our main house.

Surrounding states have property taxes that are substantially more.

In California, the base rate is 1 percent. With all the fees, parcel taxes, and other silliness it's a little over 1.5 percent. That does not include the garbage bill, which the City managed to attach to the property tax bill.

My old house had property taxes that were 0.59% of the [-]appraised[/-] assessed value. Not sure yet on my dream home but I'll be finding out in about a month. :) It will probably be the same percentage, although the [-]appraisal[/-] assessment was bumped up to the sales price when I bought it.

We have some of the lowest property taxes in the country, although there are a few other locations that are even better. BUT, if they don't get you one way, they'll get you another. Our sales tax is 9.75%. :blush:

(Edited to change "appraised" to "assessed". As someone pointed out below, the term that is relevant to taxes is "assessed".)

Last edited:
Tax bill just came today;

CA prop 13, 1% of assessed value $194,256 = $1942
Bonds, direct costs and other fees = $219

Total $2,161

House value $350,000

About 1.5% here in MO. 8% sales taxes. When I think it is bad I think of my friends in Chicago. Their house taxes are 7k to 15k depending on the house.

I just closed on a house in small town Wisconsin and I will be paying approx. 2.25% of appraised value. That seems very high to me but we do have good schools, police, fire....

My old house had property taxes that were 0.59% of the appraised value. Not sure yet on my dream home but I'll be finding out in about a month. :) It will probably be the same percentage, although the appraisal was bumped up to the sales price when I bought it.

We have some of the lowest property taxes in the country, although there are a few other locations that are even better. BUT, if they don't get you one way, they'll get you another. Our sales tax is 9.75%. :blush:

Since i'm a relatively low spender I would prefer a system like you have rather than mine. I pay 2.25% property tax but just 5% sales tax(0% on food).

Without state-run school/property tax rebates, mine is between 2.5% and 3%. I live in a co-op apartment in high-property-tax Nassau County (Long Island) New York. With those rebates, it drops in half.

Since i'm a relatively low spender I would prefer a system like you have rather than mine. I pay 2.25% property tax but just 5% sales tax(0% on food).

I like this arrangement too, because I think it is easier to control when misfortune strikes. If I lost a bunch in the market, I'd be spending less so my sales tax would be less. But, my property tax would be the same.

The question is whether the appraised value is what your property is actually worth or is it more or less. Alabama appraised values are pretty accurate on a well maintained home. ....

This.

I did not answer poll because OP references "primary home assessed value" in poll, while referencing "primary home value" in initial post. Two very different things and the relationship between them varies across taxing jurisdictions.

Just refinanced with appraisal of 700K to 900K ("as is" versus developer...)

Taking the lower number, my property taxes are 0.27% of last month's appraisal of our house and land. N.B.--we live on a "farm" and similar appraised value would have a much higher property tax percentage in the city core.

OTOH, the county has us as "appraised value" of 305,200 (despite buying for 600K some years ago), and an "assessed value" of $76,300. Tax is 1922. So that is 2.5% of the assessed value.

Thus, our answer can be 0.27% (or lower) or 2.5%. :LOL:

FWIW, We are 10 miles from Nashville airport.

Before property tax relief our 2016 property taxes are about 2.25% of tax appraised value and about 1.9% after property tax relief.

Our appraised value is probably about 70-75% of fair value (mortgage loan appraisal value/fair value).

So if in relation to fair value the rates are probably 1.6% and 1.4%, respectively.

In rural, northeastern Vermont, but waterfront, which adds to the value/tax bill.

Last edited:
In California, the base rate is 1 percent. With all the fees, parcel taxes, and other silliness it's a little over 1.5 percent. That does not include the garbage bill, which the City managed to attach to the property tax bill.

+1
For those who have owned property for some time in the insanely appreciated parts of California, proposition 13 is a sweet deal.

$4,200 (2.3%) on a $180,000 home. 6% state sales tax. Erie County, Pennsylvania.

In Tx living outside city limits and over 65 5786 on an asessed value of 347k for 1.66. now if I were within the nearby city limits taxes would be about 7736 or 2.2%. This does show by choice of location you can control some property taxes, but of course you pay for trash pickup 500/year and pay more for water service (septic tank where I live however)
So the choice of incorporated or unincorporated does make a difference in Tx.

$6700 on an assessed value of $1.03 million. Property taxes in Calgary are some of the lowest in Canada.

Property taxes here in CT are dependent on the town in which you live. In my town, the mill rate is currently 27.83, meaning we pay 2.783% of the assessed value of the property, which is supposed to be 70% of the fair market value. We also pay the same rate on the value of our cars.

The mill rates in CT's 169 towns range from around 11 to 74. Yes, in some towns, your taxes are 7.4% of assessed value (approx. 5.2% of fair market value) every year.

The base rate is 1% of purchase price. It doesn't rise as house value rises.

Just looked up the rates for my county. Three years in a row 1.122 millage with a separate amount for fire and rescue of .0705. My assessed value went up again but is still under market value per recent sales. That is in Northern Virginia-

Last edited:
For Texas I found a link with the average taxes paid per county (the link to each county provides the house value as well as the tax paid and percent of assessed value):Texas Property Taxes By County - 2016
With this you can get some idea of the variation. Other sites can show the home price variation (largely due to land prices).
But in any case it clear that if you are retired and can live anywhere you can control property taxes from 1% up to 2+% by picking where to live . (It should be noted that the lowest taxes are in small towns in the middle of nowhere- pop 3 to 5k, but then auto insurance is in general lower there also as there are fewer folks to run into you). Big cities tend to have the highest taxes due to property values and higher taxes.

As hinted above I suspect this is true no matter what state you live in (Ct seems to be about the same)

1.8% ($10,420.37 on an assessed value of $577,040.00 for 2015) in Brevard County FL.
6.5% Sales Tax (6% FL and .5% County).

I pay $3800 on a house worth about $350K in Albuquerque, NM so a little over 1%. The house is less than a mile from the Rio Grande river so that increases my property taxes 10% for a conservancy fee. My taxes go up about $200 every year.

Albuquerque property taxes are higher than in other New Mexico cities where the average is closer to 0.5%. But we have more city and county services, support a community college which is low cost to students, and support the university teaching hospital which treats the indigent, has a Newborn ICU, has the state's only Level 1 trauma center, etc. Being the hub of the state costs more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom