Removing broken bolt?

zinger1457

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Took my pickup truck over some rough dirt roads and when I got back home and popped open my tonneau cover I noticed one of the bolt heads had snapped off on one of the clamps holding the cover down near the tail gate in. It broke off flush with the threads so my plan was to drill a hole into the screw and use an ez out screw extractor. No problem drilling a hole in the screw but when I inserted the extractor and started turning it with a wrench the damn extractor snapped off inside the hole and I'm not able to get a grip on it. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

nut over the bolt, weld from broken bolt to inside of nut. turn out nut with broken bolt attached. the heat is your friend

How seized up are the threads? Do the other bolts turn? Put lots of penetrant on there and let it soak awhile. I would think you could get a replacement clamp from the mfr. my cover has cheap clamps but the bolts are stainless.

Last edited:
Took my pickup truck over some rough dirt roads and when I got back home and popped open my tonneau cover I noticed one of the bolt heads had snapped off on one of the clamps holding the cover down near the tail gate in. It broke off flush with the threads so my plan was to drill a hole into the screw and use an ez out screw extractor. No problem drilling a hole in the screw but when I inserted the extractor and started turning it with a wrench the damn extractor snapped off inside the hole and I'm not able to get a grip on it. Any suggestions on where to go from here?
It sounds like you accidentally created the bolt version of one of those nested Russian dolls. :(

The weld-nut-on-top sounds like a plan. Just one thing, gotta weld. A skill and tool not everyone has handy.

Maybe chisel a slot in there and use a screwdriver but you still gotta loosen up the threads somehow.

Can you re-drill with a larger bit and then use a larger EZ out? Along with a lot of penetrating oil.

Last edited:
nut over the bolt, weld from broken bolt to inside of nut. turn out nut with broken bolt attached. the heat is your friend

Yep.... I have worked miracles using this method. For more details, go to thebugshop.org -> Tech Help -> Tool Techniques. Old web site of mine, but lots of how to there...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:"I inserted the extractor and started turning it with a wrench the damn extractor snapped off inside the hole"

Wow, THAT'S never happened before.......

I have taken the corner a chisel and managed to back a broken easy-out out of the hole by tapping on the chisel.

Sounds like a good idea but no welding equipment and skills, will have to see if I can find someone who does.

Can you re-drill with a larger bit and then use a larger EZ out? Along with a lot of penetrating oil.

I've tried both and broke a few drill bits in the process, that ez-out is very hard metal.

How seized up are the threads? Do the other bolts turn? Put lots of penetrant on there and let it soak awhile. I would think you could get a replacement clamp from the mfr. my cover has cheap clamps but the bolts are stainless.

This happened to be one of the clamps that uses one of the existing bolt holes in the side of the truck bed so the clamp is fine.

If welding isn't possible/convenient, I wonder if a torch and plumbing solder might work to get the nut adhered to the bolt temporarily. I've never tried it. The heat alone might help free up those threads.

At this point it might be easier to call some body shops and ask them how much to get the bolt out. As with many things there is a point when it is easier to have a pro fix things. I suspect the body shop might charge an hour of labor or so but not much more.

Been there - done that!:)

I have always been amazed at the problems that a Machine Shop can solve for a few $10s of dollars if you can get the part of the vehicle.

-gauss

Take it to your local friendly body repair shop. I was pretty amazed when they repaired my cars under engine cover for free.

You can try to drill the extractor out with a carbide drill bit. But you'd really be better off taking it to someone who can weld a nut on it.

Next time, use a left hand drill bit with the drill in "reverse" or counterclockwise direction. Works like a charm. I keep a set of left hand drill bits around for exactly this situation.

Next time, use a left hand drill bit with the drill in "reverse" or counterclockwise direction. Works like a charm. I keep a set of left hand drill bits around for exactly this situation.
This often works. Harbor Freight sells an inexpensive set of left handed drills. Too late now, though.

Depending on how loose the threads are, in the past I have cut a deep slot in the top (Dremel again) and used an impact screwdriver.

Thanks for the ideas. There's a couple additional things I can try before raising the white flag and heading to the body shop.

If you go the Dremel route, you might try the glass tool. It is coated with diamond dust. I ground through a stone tool on ceramic tile but the glass tool worked much better. It is also less than 1/8 inch in diameter which might help.

Yep, the welding a nut on is the best fix. Easy-Out are very hard heat treated metal and therefore will not drill except with carbide type bits. If you can try and turn the easy-out with a chisel or similar it might be able to get it out - remember that the easy out has the flutes to make it tighter as you turn out the bolt, so you actually need to turn the easy-out as if you were tightening the bolt.

Soldering will not work, you need the heat and fusion of a weld. Even then, it sometimes takes a few tries as the welded nut breaks off.

Trying to drill out the ez out was a no go and could never get it to turn out. Ended up drilling a pilot hole just below the ez out and used a self tapping bolt. It went in tight and I was waiting for the head to snap off as I was driving it but it went all the way in and is holding the clamp tight. Not sure how well it will hold up in the long term but not to worried about it coming loose.

This happened to be one of the clamps that uses one of the existing bolt holes in the side of the truck bed so the clamp is fine.

I wasn't clear! I meant that it might be easier to destroy the clamp in order to expose enough thread to extract the broken bolt. Then you just buy another clamp. Yours must be very different from mine so maybe it's not a valid idea.

Back
Top Bottom