any one living in Costa Rica in ER?

Retire2013

Recycles dryer sheets
Are there any expats living in Costa Rica since you've ER'd? Are you permanent resident of Costa Rica? Do you have access to the national health care system of Costa Rica? Or what have you been doing for health insurance and/or your health care needs while retiring in Costa Rica?

I am seriously considering moving to Costa Rica to enjoy the rest of my ER. I've ER'd in 2013, living in the US. Now with the potential repeal of ACA, I am seriously considering moving to Costa Rica.

Please share any knowledge you have of life in Costa Rica with me. Thank you!!!

We talked about visiting there at lunch. The international home shows make it look quite attractive.

Definitely go visit. Also, take a look at Panamá. It has similar climate and outdoor activities, but cost of living is lower, and it uses the US dollar so you don't have to manage currency fluctuations. And don't believe what the international living type companies say about cost of living. Find the local expat forums and ask about accurate costs.

It's on my list of places to visit. The requirements for permanent residency are lower than some other countries - plus being a democracy with no history of war or a standing army appeals to pacifist in me. That said - I'd never move there without visiting... and I like where I live, anyway.

My kids' pediatrician has vacationed there a lot and talks of retiring there.... mainly so her husband can surf every day and she can gaze at the ocean daily.

anyone ER to Costa Rica?

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Yes, I have visited Costa Rica several times. I love the climate. On each of my visits, I went alone and I felt safe. That's quite appealing.

We spent six weeks there a few years ago and will be back this winter.

While living in a condo for a month we met quite a few Americans, some of whom were expat. There was one gentleman who retired liked Costa Rica and decided to retire there specifically because of the cost of living and the cost of healthcare. Not certain what the care or the access was like but he had been there for five plus years and appeared quite happy with his situation-financial and otherwise.

I am seriously considering moving to Costa Rica to enjoy the rest of my ER. I've ER'd in 2013, living in the US. Now with the potential repeal of ACA, I am seriously considering moving to Costa Rica.

If the only reason you are going is because of the repeal of the ACA, I would not start packing yet. The healthcare genie is out of the bottle. I do not believe that there has ever been a government program that was repealed and made people in worse shape.

Personally, I think the pre-existing conditions part is the easiest to keep. Not only is the genie out of the bottle, but many with pre-existing conditions have been "fixed" over the last 3 years (needed surgeries, etc.), and it should become easier for ins. co's. to project costs from here on out. In theory, anyway.

There still seems to be resentment about "you can keep your plan...your doctor", so perhaps that part will be the goal.

Back
Top Bottom