Tracking flight prices - best practices?

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was plunking around on Google Fights and noticed a button at the bottom of the final price screen which indicated to check Expedia's pricing. This does not come up on a lot of flight choices.

So being curious I clicked it and was taken to Expedia which cranked away on my requirement. This was a nonstop flight from San Francisco to Heathrow which is generally in the $1200 to $1400 range in late August 2017. The screen came up with a Lufhansa flight at $735 ! Wow, that was unexpected. I could not take this apparent bargain because we still haven’t planned things out. Also I did not get a chance to explore the Expedia flight details (it was bed time). But it caused me to wonder how to look for this in the future.

I'm aware of the Google Flights tracker but have not used it yet. Is this the best way? Would it show up offers like Expedia?

2017 is going to be the year of European travel--with low airfares and the value of the U.S. dollar going "the right direction".

I use ITA Matrix to look for the best deals in travel. But I also watch the travel sections in many big city newspapers.

The best flight deals right now are on Norwegian Air Shuttle (Norwegian.com), and they're flying out of Oakland, LAX and Las Vegas on the west coast. We've flown them 2x to Europe out of Orlando--to Copenhagen and London Gatwick.

When you find a great airfare price, you grab it--and make the rest of the trip decisions later.

I have usually been able to use ff miles but have recently had to start buying tickets as the miles are getting used up. I am watching Google Flights, but have also added a phone app called Hopper. I'll have to see what works best.

Also try Yapta.com They will help you track pricing so you know when to book. After booking they will continue to track pricing so you can request a credit if the price drops.

- Rita

I didn't know about the possibility of getting a price drop credit. Apparently only applies to US carriers. Thanks.

Also try Yapta.com They will help you track pricing so you know when to book. After booking they will continue to track pricing so you can request a credit if the price drops.

- Rita

So how does work with any airlines except Southwest?

So how does work with any airlines except Southwest?
How does what work? Tracking for when to book or tracking for refund/future credit?

On the latter it depends on the airline and the minimum refund amount you set. With Alaska, for example, they refund the full difference. You get an email from Yapta with the Customer Service Number and a script to use to get a refund.

HTH,
Rita

How does what work? Tracking for when to book or tracking for refund/future credit?

On the latter it depends on the airline and the minimum refund amount you set. With Alaska, for example, they refund the full difference. You get an email from Yapta with the Customer Service Number and a script to use to get a refund.

HTH,
Rita

So it's very airline dependent and would depend on the amount of the change/cancellation fee. It sounds like Southwest and Alaska would credit you the entire fare difference. Most mail line carriers usually keep at least 100 to 250 bucks when do a fare change.

So it's very airline depend and would depend on the amount of the change/cancellation fee. It sounds like Southwest and Alaska would credit you the entire fare difference.
Can't speak to SW, but with Alaska this is not considered a cancellation or change of the flight, just a guarantee for the lowest fare. At any point after you make your reservation, if the price changes you can ask for a refund of the difference. Alaska provides a credit to use on a future flight.

I believe they have FAQ (Yapta.com) that explains their processes.

- Rita

Try airfare watchdog. You can set certain routes and they email you deals or just set your home base and get deal notifications for the best prices all over the world from your location.

Back
Top Bottom