The rewards for hard work and tenacity are alive and well

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My college senior applied mathematics daughter got off the plane in Houston on the first leg of her journey home from her semester abroad in Australia. She turned on her US phone (no doubt to call the boyfriend) and there was a voice mail from a huge aerospace company inviting her to a recruiting session. She's had been busy sending resumes in search of that elusive post graduation gig.

A couple days later she was sitting at that same company, dressing in her new interview attire, with a bunch of kids flown in from all over the country there to tell their stories. I knew my daughter had an interesting one -superb grades, internship with both an Internet company in Australia and the US Navy surface ware fare group in Virginia.

My daughter told me that some of the applicants were discussing planners. "Oh that one isn't big enough to capture all my thoughts"
I thinking a geek fest.

My daughter is bright but she still had to work very hard to get those grades. She took extra courses over the summer in programming to enhance her skills. I remind my HS senior son often that it isn't enough to go to college you have to get the grades.

The 'thank you for meeting with me' emails she sent were met with I've requested they extend you an offer but there's a problem multiple managers have asked for you. The offer that came was very generous.

She was happy with her graduate math score so she studied and retook the exam. Shortly there after she received notification from Columbia and Harvard touting their programs...

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise there still is opportunity for those willing to work hard.

Congrats Ray! A job well done raising that daughter. We should all be so blessed. ;)

And, Merry Christmas!:dance:

Back
Top Bottom