Hopslam Ale

GalaxyBoy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Scored a six-pack of Bell's Hopslam the other day. This is (obviously) a very hoppy, double India Pale Ale that only comes out once a year around this time. It's fame has reached almost mythical proportions among beer geeks, especially hop heads like me. Check out the description in the video below ("tastes like your cat ate a bag of weed and p**d on your christmas tree"):

https://youtu.be/Ow-WGOgKR24

Now, $17.99 for a six-pack of canned beer seemed a bit pricey, yes, but it IS really good if you're into that kind of thing, and only once a year (IF you can find it).

BUT, it's being sold on eBay now for over $40.00 plus more than $13 shipping (do a search for the latest listings). It's good, but jeez, not THAT good.

This is the sort of thing that makes me glad I am a homebrewer. I don't generally enjoy high test beers, but I wanted to try some of the wild new hop varieties that are out now (mostly I am a traditionalist), so I made a 5% ABV amber with a half pound of aroma and flavor hops in a 10 gallon batch. I think it cost me 40 cents a pint, and dry hopping in the keg is like walking through a hop farm.

Now if all the deregulation coming down the pike would just apply to running a home still... Always wanted to try it, but then there is that law-abiding streak I have.

Now if all the deregulation coming down the pike would just apply to running a home still... Always wanted to try it, but then there is that law-abiding streak I have.

Stills are a quantum leap in technique and danger.

Stills are a quantum leap in technique and danger.

Cannot possibly be more dangerous than reloading shotshells (which involves handling highly flammable gun powder and literally explosive primers) or driving a 3 ton, 400 HP pickup in a crowded area.

Have not had hopslam in a while, probably someone shared some at a beer club meeting, and my memory for beers is not always that great, but I do recall it being pretty outrageously good. Very intense hop aroma and flavor, and not so much bitterness - that's how I like my hoppy beers.

brewer12345 is right, keg hopping can get you that flavor aroma in your homebrew.

-ERD50

Cannot possibly be more dangerous than reloading shotshells (which involves handling highly flammable gun powder and literally explosive primers) or driving a 3 ton, 400 HP pickup in a crowded area.

Is the regulation because of the possibility of producing some methanol (instead of only ethanol)? I thought I read that even small amounts of methanol can be really bad for us humans.

-ERD50

I'm a big fan on Bells Two Hearted, especialy on draft, but I've never had the Hopslam. I will keep an eye out for it.

Is the regulation because of the possibility of producing some methanol (instead of only ethanol)? I thought I read that even small amounts of methanol can be really bad for us humans.

-ERD50

I believe it is a holdover from Prohibition that stays in place because it benefits the government (taxes) and the liquor companies (sales).

I believe it is a holdover from Prohibition that stays in place because it benefits the government (taxes) and the liquor companies (sales).

+1
There are states where it is legal(MO, maybe more). Obviously federal law trumps state law, except in some states for certain things. :)

Perhaps there's no other loss of tax revenue on certain things.

I recently picked up a 4-pack of a Belgian-style ale from the Canadian brewer Unibroue called "La Fin du Monde." Probably the anti-Hopslam.

Back
Top Bottom