Planet Earth II

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
First episode last night on BBC Tv. Best hour on television. It's been 10 years since the initial series...you can imagine the improvements in cameras, photography (drones) and editing...it was stunning. See if you can catch the replay... well worth it.

Here's the official trailer

We watched it last night, it rocks!

Aw, geez....now I want to go back to Africa!

It was great. We loved the 1st Planet Earth so glad to have a new one to watch.

The first blu-ray DVD I bought was Planet Earth, just for the quality. I think the first 4K TV I buy will be to watch Planet Earth 2 on.

This series is just so astonishingly beautiful.

DW recorded it. We have always liked David Attenborough.

Glad I put it on the DVR schedule. Look forward to watching it. Hope the disc version comes out in time for Christmas - DS (25 tomorrow) loved the original so much he took the DVDs with him to college, so I'm sure he'll want this one.

I saw a news clip about the show... and was able to look and record most of the previous show... it looks like there were two series previous to this new one...

I have not yet looked at any of them.... need to find out if DW and DD want to watch them also... if not, I can do it anytime...

We recorded it and plan to watch on our new 4k. So far, while limited, all the 4k programs we've watched are awesome!

We recorded it and plan to watch on our new 4k. So far, while limited, all the 4k programs we've watched are awesome!

Just wondering how you got the 4K content. We have a 4K TV but 4K content has been somewhat hard to come by. Thx

Just wondering how you got the 4K content. We have a 4K TV but 4K content has been somewhat hard to come by. Thx

We signed up with Directv's 4k program. It has definitely been a challenge.

The 4k content is limited to 3 channels.
104 - 24/7 content (where the PEII was aired)
105 - PPV movies
106 - Live sports, but not 24/7

Directv will only allow you to view 4k live on 1 tv on your home network (learned this after the fact). You can record on your DVR and watch. The current master DVR is not 4k compatible. Directv installs a genie 4k box for each 4k tv you have.

It's clear Directv is very early in the rollout and capabilities. Very much reminds of when HD first came out.

Hope this helps.

Which 4K TV did you wind up getting? I've been looking and the options are overwhelming.

I set it up to record but BBC America is only in SD on our cable package... not even HD!

Which 4K TV did you wind up getting? I've been looking and the options are overwhelming.

We ended up with the Sony XBR-75X850D in the living room and bedroom.

The living room is setup with a traditional surround sound setup (4 speakers in the ceiling, center channel, and sub).

The bedroom is feed thru a Klipsch soundbar with a wireless sub.

Both systems look and sound fantastic!

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the media room. We currently have a 65" plasma with surround sound system. One day I'm set with just another Sony XBR, but 85". The next day, thinking a full-on media room with a 150" projection setup.

Can't seem to find BBC? What direction should I turn my antenna? [emoji848]

While I know you didn't address the question to me, I bought a LG 65UH6030 for $800 at BJ's back in November but have seen it advertised for the same $$$ in other places recently. Very happy with it. In our case I just wanted a bigger HDTV and since I was getting a newer TV I wanted UHD/4K. HDR was a bonus.

LG 65UH6030: 65-inch 4K UHD Smart LED TV | LG USA

I already watched the entire series (obtained from the places which we do not speak of.) It was good. I still liked the first season better.

I still liked the first season better.

I don't think I've ever been more peeved at anything on TV that wasn't on the news as when the film crew didn't listen to me when I yelled at them to get that baby elephant turned around.

Just picked up the Planet Earth 'Six Disc Special Edition' at the library.

While I know you didn't address the question to me, I bought a LG 65UH6030 for $800 at BJ's back in November but have seen it advertised for the same $$$ in other places recently. Very happy with it. In our case I just wanted a bigger HDTV and since I was getting a newer TV I wanted UHD/4K. HDR was a bonus.

LG 65UH6030: 65-inch 4K UHD Smart LED TV | LG USA
We bought a 4K TV a little over a year ago, but I don't think I've actually seen any 4K content yet. There's no network 4K that I know of. And though there's 4K content on YouTube, my Chromecast doesn't support it, so I assume I'm really seeing 1080p. I doubt my BluRay player supports 4K either. One of these days I'll actually see 4K at home...

I just setup our DVR to record Planet Earth II, thanks for the heads up OP.

Just picked up the Planet Earth 'Six Disc Special Edition' at the library.

Been watching a couple episodes a night.....enthralling.

Last evening it was the African Wild Dogs.....made us realize the rarity of us being 'in the right place at the right time' in Botswana when the dogs flushed, killed, and ate a Wart Hog right in front of us........the Planet Earth people with their helo and teams of on the ground photogs, for days, hardly did as well.

We are "cord cutters", so there was no way to watch without purchasing ($20 for the HD season). I haven't watched but the first episode, but it was most definitely worth the $20.

The cinematography is absolutely stunning.

Back
Top Bottom