Resolving New Fridge Problem

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We bought a new Whirlpool fridge in October, and here's the problem I'm having:

https://youtu.be/8cAsI_2mYb0

Scary how dorky I look in that video!

The latest is that the techs at Whirlpool say that that's the way it's supposed to work. Because of that, the service tech can't deem the fridge unrepairable.

Any tips on getting Whirlpool to replace this refrigerator?

Last edited:
Al, I don't have any tips but I would be FURIOUS (and I'm sure you must be also). :mad:

If they continue refusing to fix it for you, I think several of us will be avoiding Whirlpool in the future.

I am thinking it is probably a hinge adjustment that they could fix right away if they were inclined to do so. It shouldn't be your problem though.

My Samsung is made the same way. Sometimes it will not close properly until I open the left side and adjust. Difference between mine is after about a minute if it is not closed I get an alert that the door is not closed. My refrigerator is over 8 years old so this is not a new issue.

Good luck in getting it replaced.

I had a freezer replaced with an issue but they replaced it with the same model with the same issue. I gave up. It took over 4 months to get it done.

Last edited:
Here's an excerpt from the latest chat session:

KESHIA S.
We do value you as a customer, I found that service is showing the unit is working as designed. 7:53 AM

Me
Did you look at the video? 7:53 AM

KESHIA S.

We would not be able to replace the unit. Our warranty is only for service. 7:53 AM

KESHIA S.

Yes, I have checked out the video. 7:53 AM

Me
Do you think that's a reasonable way for a refrigerator to work? 7:53 AM

KESHIA S.

Regretfully, we are not trained to give technical assistance nor have technical assistance due to safety and liability reasons. Our trained technicians are our "eyes and ears" out in the field, and we must rely on them for appropriate diagnosis of any product performance concern. 7:55 AM

Totally unsatisfactory, Al. What a witch with a B.

Can you speak with her supervisor?

If nothing else works, can you stop your credit card payment and make them come and get it? Then you could buy a different fridge from a different manufacturer.

P.S. - - after seeing that video, and reading littleb's post, I will never buy a refrigerator with that sort of door configuration.

When I moved into my present house in 2015, I bought a simple Kenmore refrigerator that isn't glamorous but has functioned flawlessly. It is just $599 with free delivery right now.
http://www.sears.com/kenmore-21-cu-...p-04670219000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=6&blockType=G6

Last edited:
I saw that type of thing when I was browsing through fridges and it did seem to be a really stupid design.

I didn't pay a lot of attention as to why did they need to add that flap on the edge of the door. After all magnetic strips have done fine for decades.

Totally unsatisfactory, Al. What a witch with a B.

Can you speak with her supervisor?

If nothing else works, can you stop your credit card payment and make them come and get it? Then you could buy a different fridge from a different manufacturer.

P.S. - - after seeing that video, and reading littleb's post, I will never buy a refrigerator with that sort of door configuration.

Those small(-ish) doors are not heavy enough to bypass the resistance compared to the big ol' ones of the past. Not enough momentum generated. Maybe load it up with a case of beer? :D

Whirlpool should have put an open door alert when manufacturing this refrigerator but like so many companies now they go the cheaper way. I don't have a problem with mine since the alert goes off if the door is not shut properly.

I have a family member who works at an appliance manufacturing plant and he said they will change suppliers to save .05 per part. Cheaper parts usually mean more repairs and lower quality products.

Tell me if I am wrong.... I do not have this kind of fridge, but remembering it when I looked....

This is a French door fridge... so there is no center pole between the two doors... so they need something to block that area when both doors are closed... hence the 'flapper' part of the door that does not close...

When I was playing around with this type of fridge in the store I did notice that was a problem... that the flapper did not flap all the time... at the time I thought it was a bad design but did not know how it would work in the real world...

Is there any way you can adjust the cam part of the hinge? Maybe they have a better one that will create a stronger close?

Is the fridge leaning a bit forward from the top? Maybe you can adjust the feet so that it leans back a bit and that will help on the close...

I fixed it (pretty much) with a brute force solution. I raised up the front a lot, like this:

gyUj5Tt.jpg

That works as long as I have heavy stuff on the left door and light stuff on the right.
fbMYzS9zfoSa3TS48

Looks like Texas Proud had the winning solution! Al, I'm glad it is working now. Hope it is stable and not likely to fall back down to where it was.

Tell me if I am wrong.... I do not have this kind of fridge, but remembering it when I looked....

This is a French door fridge... so there is no center pole between the two doors... so they need something to block that area when both doors are closed... hence the 'flapper' part of the door that does not close...

When I was playing around with this type of fridge in the store I did notice that was a problem... that the flapper did not flap all the time... at the time I thought it was a bad design but did not know how it would work in the real world...

Is there any way you can adjust the cam part of the hinge? Maybe they have a better one that will create a stronger close?

Is the fridge leaning a bit forward from the top? Maybe you can adjust the feet so that it leans back a bit and that will help on the close...

Yes, that's right.

Some Googling shows me that other brands of refrigerators have the same problem.

Your solution fixed it. Thanks for that. I raised it up a bit in the past, but with bigger blocks today, it reached the tipping point.

Last edited:
Is there a display model at the store that you bought it? If so, and the problem doesn't appear with the display model, you have a strong basis to dispute the credit card bill, even at the 6 moth time frame, or with Whirlpool, or with the store.

We bought one like this in July and have the same problem. Fortunately we have an alarm and we have needed it.

We have a Samsung version of this fridge. The only problem we've had occurred when the door flap flipped out before closing. It's been perfect now for four or so years (fingers crossed that it stays that way).

Just another data point for anyone considering a similar design (I really like the French door design). Our doors are shorter because we have a "beer" drawer between the freezer and fridge - but even with lower door mass it still closes perfectly on a level surface.

Same fridge design (Bosch, 6 mos. new). The flap design is a better design than the old rubber gaskets, providing a better seal. The downside is that it sometimes doesn't 'flap' correctly. Our technician (out for a freezer issue) recommended always opening both sides if you only need something from the left and closing the left first. He's seen it happen where people don't do that and close the left side forcefullly, causing the flap to snap off. We also have an alarm that goes off if the doors aren't fully closed...nice feature.

That said, I think there's something wrong with yours as I've only had the problem on rare occasions when forgetting to close the left side first.

I take it there was no option to demand to return/refund in the first 30 days?

Mine is a GE and will shut normally the way you attempt too, but sometimes not quite, not as obviously open as yours but definitely not closed. I do have an alarm on it though which will beep but not for about 45 seconds.

When I was still working, it was very easy to grab something my lunch bag and head out of the house before it would go off. I was last to leave, and DH was first home so I'd get home to him tossing stuff out and being quite unhappy with me lol.

Yes, that's right.

Some Googling shows me that other brands of refrigerators have the same problem.

Your solution fixed it. Thanks for that. I raised it up a bit in the past, but with bigger blocks today, it reached the tipping point.

Wow... did not think you had to put a block under it!!!

I was thinking the same thing about something heavy in the door, but decided not to say that since there is no guarantee that it will be there all the time. The solution needs to work when nothing is in the door to be a real fix...

Thanks for the info, good to know. I'll be sticking with the traditional doors (full width, one for fridge and one for freezer)

I was thinking about one of those "frenchie" side by sides too - :)

I have a Kenmore with that same door design. Mine works much better than yours, but still isn't 'perfect'. i.e. if the door with the flap is pushed closed very gently, I'll have the same issue.

Did you buy with a credit card? I'd try to get a return and/or get the charge reversed.

One other note - don't go buy a Fisher and Paykel fridge. I did about 10 years ago and in the first year of owning it, had 8 repair visits occur.

When I was downstairs getting something to eat I decided to see how my doors work...

We have a side by side with an ice maker in the freezer door, so something heavy all the time...

BUT, if you open up the door the cam does not really close it well... I was able to close the door where it was only open maybe 6 to 8 inches and it would not close on its own.. now, if fully open and you gave it a push it closed.... the fridge side did seem to close on its own a bit farther out, but not much... maybe I will have to adjust mine a bit.... might get the level out and see...

C'mon Al - I expect better of you. Years and years ago I had a VW bus with the opposite problem - the shifter would pop out of engagement when in 4th gear. Distressing when racing down the road. A looped bungie cord around the shift lever cured the problem for as long as I had the bus. Got pretty smooth at shifting and hooking/unhooking the bungie.
In your case, just screw into the top of the door and the top of the compartment, adjust and attach bungie, and voila! that door will slam shut when released. Think of the energy you will save by getting the door closed quickly! You are welcome.

I'm glad we by the smaller cheaper refrigerators... not of these silly problems

If you or anyone you know has accounts with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. post a complaint there with links to the youtube video you made. That often gets high-level attention.

And E-mail the office of the company president with links to the complaints and the video. If that doesn't elicit a response then it is clear they don't care.

Back
Top Bottom