Any interest in a SW FL E-R.org get-together?

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
[FONT=&quot]I've enjoyed [FONT=&quot]heari[/FONT]ng about other E-R.org forum real life get-togethers over the years and thought it might be fun to have a gathering of forum participants in SW Florida.

I know we have folks here who are full-timers in SW Florida* and others who are snowbirds. :greetings10:

As it's currently peak 'season', it's likely that we have the maximum number of forum folks in the area. And a get-together might be nice before the snowbirds begin their migrat[FONT=&quot]ion back "up north[FONT=&quot]".[/FONT][/FONT]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]I'm currently snowbirding in Estero (between Naples and Fort Myers) and will be headed back to Michigan in May.[/FONT]

If you're interested in a meet[FONT=&quot]-up[/FONT] someplace in the area for a burger & beer (or whatever), please post as to your interest and availability. We can then figure out the details as to location and date & time.

omni

(*loosely defined as areas in/around Ft. Myers, Bonita Springs, Naples, Marco Island, Cape Coral, Punta Gorda, Charlotte Harbor... Heck, even Sarasota/Venice locales aren't that far away.)[/FONT]

I'm just outside of Estero, and would be interested, especially if its on a weekend. Still traveling during the week for w*rk.

I could do it. Bonita Springs until the end of April. Sounds fun.

Planning.....

Thanks for the speedy responses. Looks like we've got some interest. :dance:

And, to accommodate everyone who responded, a weekend gathering is best.

TIMING
How does an upcoming Saturday sound? Say, March 25 or April 1, possibly?

Moemg-- would you be willing to drive down to the Fort Myers area?

omni

Those dates sound good to me. I'm flexible.

I know Khan lives down here on Pine Island. I haven't seen her online recently, so I sent her a PM about the meetup. If any of y'all know anybody else that lives down here, let them know we're planning this. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the speedy responses. Looks like we've got some interest. :dance:

And, to accommodate everyone who responded, a weekend gathering is best.

TIMING
How does an upcoming Saturday sound? Say, March 25 or April 1, possibly?

Moemg-- would you be willing to drive down to the Fort Myers area?

omni

April 1 sounds great.

pb4uski -- I'm trying to send you a PM response but your mailbox is full. :(

omni

I would probably be willing to travel. Come on Sarasota members sign up .Simple girl lives on Siesta Key I think and I know pb4uski is down for the winter .

I'm planning to attend unless the date conflicts with company visiting. Moemg, assuming the meeting is south of Sarasota perhaps we can carpool. Heading back north in late April... so time is of the essence!

By the way, is anybody that's going to be there interested in a free Canon MF8280Cw Color Wifi AiO laser printer? Free? It needs new toner cartridges, but otherwise is in perfect working order. I can bring it with me if there's any interest. I bought a new color laser printer cheaper than I could get the toner (~$275), so I don't need it any more. I live in a neighborhood of old people who barely even use email, so none of them were interested. Let me know and I'll bring it.

Sure, as long as I don't have to upgrade my attire from flip flops, shorts and a Columbia fishing shirt. Cape Coral here.

Don't worry. If it was formal we'd have specified "socks required".

Here's the date & time, location yet TBD

Great! Sounds like we've got 6 people interested. Two from Sarasota, 3 from the Estero/Bonita Springs vicinity, and 1 from Cape Coral

Let's plan on Saturday, April 1 for lunch at 1:00 pm. :dance:

I'm looking for places in the Punta Gorda/Charlotte Harbor area to "meet in the middle" (roughly an hour from Sarasota and an hour from Bonita Springs).

I'm not familiar with anything there^^. Harley, Lagniappe, bigcmagor...do you have any suggestions thereabouts? (If not, I'll dig into yelp and/or tripadvisor).

omni

I don't know the area either. A friend told me the Two Crackers and a Yankee BBQ was good, but I've never been there and don't know what the restaurant part is like. He only ever gets carryout. Other than that, no idea. I'm totally flexible food category-wise. I like all types (too much), so whatever people want I'll be fine with.

The only place I have experience with up that way is Harpoon Harry's in Fisherman's Village in Punta Gorda. It's a restaurant at the end of an old wharf full of shops and the main tourist draw in Punta Gorda. By April 1, the snowbird and spring break crowd may have thinned out. Just about anything else would be easier to get to though.

you guys are making me teary eyed with nostalgia. My folks, who are both gone now, spent the happiest years of their lives retired in a condo on Barefoot Beach in Bonita Springs. One of the things that made it so happy for them was my mom's sister and her husband were in Estero.
All 4 of them met, in Italy, right after WWII. My Dad and Uncle were Army chums dating these two nice looking Italian girls. Two soldiers, two war-brides. Lots of great stories.

Have fun, enjoy the sun.

One of the things that made it so happy for them was my mom's sister and her husband were in Estero.
All 4 of them met, in Italy, right after WWII. My Dad and Uncle were Army chums dating these two nice looking Italian girls. Two soldiers, two war-brides. Lots of great stories.

Great story indeed.

I had been at Hurricane Charley in Punta Gorda - Food is okay, sushi is good - nice view.

We moved from Portland OR to North Port FL, last Sept. However, I still work and commute between OR and FL.

Sorry that I can't make it - still in OR in April.

Any other recommendations for a good lunch spot in the Port Charoltte/Punta Gorda area?

Being in Portland OR for so long (famous for restaurants per capita) - I would say most restaurants in Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda are just ok :)

We go there for the view and the atmosphere - I've tried

Sunset Grill Restaurant Home

Laishley Crab House - Punta Gorda, FL - Fresh Seafood, Steaks, Sushi and Spirits on the Charlotte Harbor Waterfront

Hurricane Charleys Raw Bar and Grill – Waterfront Dining in Punta Gorda

They all have good view of the bay or marina. Many like sunsetgrill for lunch, I did not try lunch there yet.

Last edited:
OK, 1 week to go. Anybody got a solid suggestion for where? I checked Yelp, and Hurricane Charley's had pretty good reviews, and would work just fine for me. Sunset Grill's latest 5 or 6 reviews were horrible. Laishley Crab House reviews were all over the place. I love seafood, but if others have other suggestions or want something else like a burger place or ribs or whatever I'd be fine with it. Let's lock it down, folks.

When it comes to food, I'm easy to please... pick one and tell us that you flipped a coin so if it is dreadful we won't blame you.... :LOL:

I would probably be willing to travel. Come on Sarasota members sign up .Simple girl lives on Siesta Key I think and I know pb4uski is down for the winter .

I just now saw this thread! Would love to meet up with everyone! Will read on for details.

Back
Top Bottom