Live Tiny Temporarily for a Goal

Ms.FIlite

Dryer sheet wannabe
This is my first post. I live in Sacramento ca with my fiancé and our dog. We are planning to get married in Mexico next year and I start my MBA in the fall. We have decided to build a house and closed on our lot a month ago. We are trying to challenge some of our assumptions we made initially how to financially handle the build other than a costly construction loan (which we can do). Looking outside the box, where all good ideas live!

My Fiancé and I are thinking of living Tiny in a tiny house on a lot we bought for a few years. We would order the house and have it delivered to the lot. while living on the lot we would be renting our Duplex unit on AirBnb (we own a duplex and currently only rent one side and live in the other) our plan is to save money and pay for the house build with cash. We are also selling my other house which we currently rent next year to fund the build as well. We would do it in phases like rough in, interior drywalling, plumbing and then finishes. Then when it's completed refinance and take cash out to invest in future real estate opportunities. We would then instal the tiny house permanently in the back yard as an income property or for a live in nanny at some point since we both travel a lot.

Major Challenges
1. Finding a builder willing to do this in phases
2. Dealing with airbnb people
3. Getting a. Holding permit to span 3 years
4. Getting city to allow us to put sewer and electrical and water to the tiny house while building.
5. Keeping Fiance from hating tiny house. He is tenant I ELT interested and attracted by the financial benefits.

This is a crazy elaborate involved plan I have come up with I am hoping some people could poke holes and expand my thinking. I asked my friends and their only focus was on "why would you want to deal with all that?". I believe in hustling for what you want and financially sound decisions for financial my free decisions.

Looking forward to your ideas thoughts and questions!!

Ms.FIlite

My opinion , not worth anything . I built a steel building house. Now if you have zoning it is out. What I see on TV those mini houses are through the roof. I talked to a local builder here in Texas last Saturday and told him about my house and he agreed if you can build a steel building do it . He told me the average cost for steel building homes are around 30.00 per square foot . Those Mini houses on TV are over 150.00 per sq. ft. And just me talking built on a trailer with that much weight seems like a lot .

The Steel buildings are not great looking , but are strong and easy to make a really nice home. just me talking .

My opinion , not worth anything . I built a steel building house. Now if you have zoning it is out. What I see on TV those mini houses are through the roof. I talked to a local builder here in Texas last Saturday and told him about my house and he agreed if you can build a steel building do it . He told me the average cost for steel building homes are around 30.00 per square foot . Those Mini houses on TV are over 150.00 per sq. ft. And just me talking built on a trailer with that much weight seems like a lot .

The Steel buildings are not great looking , but are strong and easy to make a really nice home. just me talking .

Good thought! Since it would be in our back yard forever I do want to consider looks to a certain extent. I wonder if siding something could be put over the exterior. Thanks

Good thought! Since it would be in our back yard forever I do want to consider looks to a certain extent. I wonder if siding something could be put over the exterior. Thanks

Yes, you can side the exterior. Just need the $.

Now you are talking , I had a 1200 sq. ft. shell put up for less then 10K with windows and doors . I had the slab built for 3.85 per foot . The finishing is where the money is . I plumbed it myself , hired a licensed electrician for 2500.00 he wired it to code. I use closed Cell foam insulation , it is the most expensive insulation you can get but it does a great job. Steel barns are popular here . Home Depot sells a faux cut stone siding made from composite that looks real cool , but is expensive ....but still cheaper then the real stuff and you can put it up yourself.

Our first house had a completed first floor with a bedroom, bathroom, living room, dining room and kitchen... the basement and second floor were unfinished... but it was enough for us to live in.

While we were living there, we DIY finished the second floor with a master suite, two bedrooms and a common bathroom. I did the studding, ran the electrical and hot air, hung the drywall. DW did the mudding and we did the painting together. We hired out the plumbing.

Shortly after we finished we had to move with a job change, but the market was hot and we sold it for twice what we paid for it. It worked well for us.

Is your tiny home something like this:

The coodo - coodo - mobile living

Looks pretty neat.

This is totally awesome. Can't figure out the price. We were looking at the Sakura from Minimaliste Steve doesn't want to bend down in a loft at all. Priced around 100k since its larger. The fact that it can be an "RV" during building then we would permanently affix it to a foundation may give us some code leeway. You are usually allowed to live in an rv on a property while building your home.

http://www.tinyhousetown.net/2017/03/the-sakura-from-minimaliste-380-sq-ft.html?m=1

Probably going to town (city)) hall to discuss with the local government. May save a lot of aggravation in case it's a no-no. Couldn't do that in our town.

Anyway, I admire your plan. Kinda what we did as far as living small... (we did it living in a trailer in a campground for a year ios so, 'til we got our act together. ) Life story here...
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/sharing-23-years-of-frugal-retirement-62251.html

Long time ago, my plan was to do something like that. At one time, the plan was to do the same thing in Placerville.

Sometimes the "why would you want to deal with all that?" ideas make the most sense. The votes the really count are for you, your fiancé and dog :).

I know when explaining to others I retired early there's be funny looks and questions from others asking "why would I want to do that?"

Welcome aboard!

There's always the problem with zoning. Hence, most tiny homes I have seen are really travel trailers that people build with material not usually used on travel trailers. The resultant tiny homes weigh a heck of a lot, although they are a lot sturdier.

I would get a good used motorhome or travel trailer, which is ready to go. One can be had for less than what I have seen people spend on a tiny home. And one should be able to park it in the back yard without problems with zoning ordinances.

It would also make a heck of a good travel vehicle. Just drive it off for a trip. When not traveling, come back to your lot to plug it into the grid, and hook it up to city water and sewer. It is not as romantic as building a tiny home, but more practical.

Our first house had a completed first floor with a bedroom, bathroom, living room, dining room and kitchen... the basement and second floor were unfinished... but it was enough for us to live in.

While we were living there, we DIY finished the second floor with a master suite, two bedrooms and a common bathroom. I did the studding, ran the electrical and hot air, hung the drywall. DW did the mudding and we did the painting together. We hired out the plumbing.

Shortly after we finished we had to move with a job change, but the market was hot and we sold it for twice what we paid for it. It worked well for us.

Very interesting idea! In our house plans we would have one bedroom/office and a bathroom on the first floor. We could ask what it would be to just do the first floor. If everything is roughed in we could wait till we needed the other bedroom/babies show up :p

These are our house plans. While the extra space makes sense with two kids it's way to big for us now.

IMG_6083.JPG

There's always the problem with zoning. Hence, most tiny homes I have seen are really travel trailers that people build with material not usually used on travel trailers. The resultant tiny homes weigh a heck of a lot, although they are a lot sturdier.

I would get a good used motorhome or travel trailer, which is ready to go. One can be had for less than what I have seen people spend on a tiny home. And one should be able to park it in the back yard without problems with zoning ordinances.

It would also make a heck of a good travel vehicle. Just drive it off for a trip. When not traveling, come back to your lot to plug it into the grid, and hook it up to city water and sewer. It is not as romantic as building a tiny home, but more practical.

We would want to keep it long term to rent out. I would be concerned with a tailor not renting well or holding up. Not sure haven't owned one.

In order to live in a tiny home both people need to be extremely neat or you will never be able to find anything and live in chaos. Everything has to be put away after using it. When we travel in our RV everything is neat but my Dh is messy so after a few days everything is a mess.

Sometimes the "why would you want to deal with all that?" ideas make the most sense. The votes the really count are for you, your fiancé and dog :).

I know when explaining to others I retired early there's be funny looks and questions from others asking "why would I want to do that?"

Welcome aboard!

The dog has specifically asked for stairs to the bedroom he refuses to deal with the ladderIMG_3964.JPGIMG_3509.JPG

What about renting out the tiny home on AirBnB instead of moving into it yourself? I think a tiny home could fetch a good price on AirBnB, people are curious about them. And I suspect demand for an entire half of a duplex would not be as high as you think. It would basically only be families who'd be willing to pay a premium to get an entire place like that, whereas the tiny home could appeal to both singles and couple travelers.

What about renting out the tiny home on AirBnB instead of moving into it yourself? I think a tiny home could fetch a good price on AirBnB, people are curious about them. And I suspect demand for an entire half of a duplex would not be as high as you think. It would basically only be families who'd be willing to pay a premium to get an entire place like that, whereas the tiny home could appeal to both singles and couple travelers.

That might be an option. I was worried about renting it while the site is under construction. I am willing to deal with some craziness but not sure I want random people on my constructions site. It would depend on what stage we were at. Thanks!

I've been living in an old motor home for going on 3 years now while I build my house. The price for the motor home was right (free). I will give it to some other folks when I get moved into my house. It works for me, but I'm not sure it would work over a long time for two.

I have seen steel windowed trailers at most commercial construction sites. I think the general contractor rents them to use as a field office. They are usually hooked up to electric. I don't know if they are plumbed. Maybe you can rent something like that while you build your house.

Shoot , if you are looking for a cheap way out . Buy one of the FEMA trailers . They are all over the place 6K to 8K and they are usually 32' . Brand new never lived in .

Very interesting idea! In our house plans we would have one bedroom/office and a bathroom on the first floor. We could ask what it would be to just do the first floor. If everything is roughed in we could wait till we needed the other bedroom/babies show up :p

These are our house plans. While the extra space makes sense with two kids it's way to big for us now.

View attachment 25728

You could make phase 1 the main house (excluding the garage) with the first until the a floor finished and the second floor unfinished. Finishing the second floor could be a future phase as would be the attached garage.

Though you may want to pour the garage slab at the same time as the house slab and just use it as a parking area or carport until you have the resources to build the garage.

Back
Top Bottom