DON'T Change Your Avatar

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I realized today that I "know" quite a few posters by their avatar unless they have very distinctive or memorable screen names OR they're very prolific. So those who change avatars frequently (I have in the past) I may not "recognize." Remembering and associating others previous posts sometimes provides context or POV continuity, but of course sometimes it doesn't matter at all.

Can't make a case for either approach. Some may want to be recognized, some may prefer to be even more anonymous (than we already are). I've certainly regretted some of my posts in hindsight, but I haven't considered changing my avatar when it happens, maybe I should...:blush:

Good thing we can't change our screen names too, then it would be even more confusing for my old brain.

Last edited:
But, but.... DO change your avatar if you want! LOL

But I like changing my avatar! It's boring to see just the same old dopey avatars for everyone, day in and day out. There are so many cool and fun images on the web that one could use.

You're an intelligent man. Surely you recognize others by their username, not just by the picture, right? :)

I first started changing my avatar a lot, when my old original avatar of German actress/model Eva Habermann got some pretty off the wall reactions from members. I briefly reverted to it so that you know which one I'm talking about. Anyway, this avatar was one of the default avatars for the old forum software, but nobody seemed to realize that. Many seemed to think she was me, and responded accordingly by sending a lot of PMs, trying to meet me IRL, and reacting to my posts as though I was the pretty blonde in my avatar (women behaving a little guarded, men acting like I was a dumb blonde or something).

Finally one member's response to it was so insanely out of bounds, that I changed it to Mr. Ed, the Talking Horse, briefly. I have continued to change my avatar frequently ever since. Otherwise I would have kept the Eva avatar forever because I like the expression on her face; to me she looks like a caring, interested, and fascinated listener. Really, it makes a difference what avatar one uses.

Last edited:
I also prefer that people don't change them, as it does become something you recognize. But I also understand others want some variety. But us guys always appreciated W2Rs German lady avatar (I forget her name, I think it was German?). And I've just never bothered.

Hah, I just came up with the solution - we should be able to set the avatar we see, regardless of what the poster chose! Now wouldn't that be fun! :)

Screen name changes were being done routinely when I first got here. It was very confusing, especially since if you read old posts, they show whatever screen name is current at that moment. So the thread is referring to a poster by one name, and they are showing up as another, and that might change back by the time you read the thread again.

It was before my time, but this was taken to extremes one day, for some reason, it was "the day of Jennifer" and everyone's screen name was "Jennifer". I do not know the back story on that. Crazy stuff!

-ERD50

I'd recognize you with any avatar W2R, as you are one of the more prolific and high-profile posters here. I agree with Midpack for many of the members -
particularly the less prolific posters.

Sorry to break it to you though W2R - you can change your picture all you want, but we still know who you are :LOL:

I have REW to thank for my avatar. It works well, and I'm too complacent to think of changing it.

You're an intelligent man. Surely you recognize others by their username, not just by the picture, right? :)
I assume you're kidding, but I am sure I've replied to folks who [-]don't have 38,600 posts[/-] post every day and change their avatars periodically without realizing it (maybe repeating myself). But again, I am not actually trying to make a case to support the title, just an observation...

I really love the avatars where you don't know if the member is male or female. Probably good to make us guess based on post content, but that is not always a give away. I have never changed mine from the beginning. User name is from a former car forum that I frequented.

I realized today that I "know" quite a few posters by their avatar unless they have very distinctive or memorable screen names OR they're very prolific. So those who change avatars frequently (I have in the past) I may not "recognize." Remembering and associating others previous posts sometimes provides context or POV continuity, but of course sometimes it doesn't matter at all.

Slightly OT, but I have always wondered who the lady in your avatar is, Midpack. To me, she looks like an actress on a soap opera I used to watch many years ago. Care to share her identity?

I first started changing my avatar a lot, when my old original "Eva" avatar got some pretty off the wall reactions from members. I briefly reverted to it so that you know which one I'm talking about.

Funny... your "Eva" avatar always reminded me of a young, slender Anna Nicole Smith, for some reason! And I always wondered, why does W2R seem so smitten with a 90's era Playboy model? :LOL:

I really love the avatars where you don't know if the member is male or female. Probably good to make us guess based on post content, but that is not always a give away. I have never changed mine from the beginning. User name is from a former car forum that I frequented.
Wanna be even more confused? To elaborate from another forum I frequent.

There was a prolific poster who used the handle ChuckD and I think his avatar was of the rapper by that name (I assume, never checked). I got into quite a few lengthy societal, cultural or semi-political debates with him. His POV was always well spoken, thoughtful, provocative and very interesting to me - sometimes we agreed, sometimes not quite. I assumed his ethnicity and age from his handle/avatar, and it appeared other posters did too - some of them were NOT respectful. I assumed my background was completely different from his, and was probably more PC conscious as a result.

After several months of exchanges, ChuckD PM'd me to further discuss his POV. And he also confessed he was a 50-ish white male from Detroit. Shame on me... :blush:

9165_chuckd-profile.jpg

Last edited:
I recently saw Midpack's mystery woman's photo elsewhere on the internet, so I think I know who she is, although not who she is to Midpack. ☺ In any case, it's not my secret to tell!

But after several years semi-lurking on the forum, this thread has inspired me to add an avatar photo.

Slightly OT, but I have always wondered who the lady in your avatar is, Midpack. To me, she looks like an actress on a soap opera I used to watch many years ago. Care to share her identity?

I had the same question about Midpack's new avatar soon after it came up. Google image search is great! (just hover over picture and right click to access the menu). Anyway, the lady appears to be Jane Hirshfield, a famed poet.

Ha! I changed my avatar once because everyone was doing Xmas avatars. But then I just left it! I'm afraid I can't be bothered.

I recently saw Midpack's mystery woman's photo elsewhere on the internet, so I think I know who she is, although not who she is to Midpack. ☺ In any case, it's not my secret to tell!

I had the same question about Midpack's new avatar soon after it came up. Google image search is great! (just hover over picture and right click to access the menu). Anyway, the lady appears to be Jane Hirshfield, a famed poet.

Thanks, 2017ish and SiS! Google's image search feature is indeed pretty awesome. :cool:

Wanna be even more confused? To elaborate from another forum I frequent.

After several months of exchanges, ChuckD PM'd me to further discuss his POV. And he also confessed he was a 50-ish white male from Detroit. Shame on me... :blush:

Well, I see your avatar and always think "female" , so you are just as tricky... :blush:

<< That was my original avatar, that I went back to quite a while ago...

I like my avatar and I'm not changing it. Dog-gone-it! :LOL: wait.....

I've been thinking of changing my boring avatar for a while. So, just in case the moderators decide to ban changes....

I've been thinking of changing my boring avatar for a while. So, just in case the moderators decide to ban changes....
Moderators change avatar more frequently than anyone else. :)

I think we all should use self-portraits. :)

I'm also too lazy to change my avatar. I have no opinion on whether others should change frequently or not.

I change mine when I get tired of looking at it. I have a collection of them. I guess being retired affords the time to create a collection of useless items. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom