What is the meaning of this chart in Firecalc?

omni550

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was playing around with Firecalc a few months ago and again today.

When using the "Investigate" tab to find a spending level with a 95% success rate, I got this output below. (This is based on fake input numbers, btw.)

This is a "plot of the success rate of this spending rate (in the center), and a few that are smaller and larger" and "The vertical axis shows the success.". I can't figure out this chart. :confused:

• I have no idea what the gold and gray bars are supposed to represent.
  • There's no label on the vertical axis (percentages, possibly?). I do not see any correlation to the 95% success rate of $181.6K in the verbiage portion.
  • The horizontal axis appears to be years...(but what is the particular significance of years 2003, 2004, and 2005?)

Can someone please clarify this for me?

omni
Save
SaveSave
Save
Save

Attachments

• firecalc.png
    firecalc.png
    186.4 KB · Views: 83
I have used the Investigate tab in the past. It used to provide a very different chart than the one in your screengrab.

The one it used to provide - sorry I don't have a picture - was a line graph with spending levels on the X axis and percent success rate on the Y axis. It could also provide a similar chart when investigating investment allocations, where the X axis represented stock allocations between 0% and 100% and they Y axis again represented success percentages - for 40 year cycles these graphs typically were a curve with a maximum around 90% stocks.

The one in your screen grab makes no sense to me whatever. I think it is a bug in FIREcalc that has been introduced in the last year or so.

Something has changed (though it might be my computer), but I used to get what SecondCor521 describes. Now I get "plug in not supported", but the default graph still displays.

-ERD50

What happens if you run it using another browser?

Edit: Just ran it using Win 7 and FireFox and got the line graph.

Last edited:
I'm running Windows 10 with the Edge browser (OK, I know, I'm just playing around with Edge).

Here's what I got.

I noticed that that particular graph relies on Adobe Flash. I had to give it permission to use that before I could see any graph at all. Maybe the Adobe software needs to be updated?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 35
Here's why I know Adobe Flash is used for this chart. After seeing clicking on the first graphic I got the second one. After clicking "Allow once" on that, I got the nice line chart seen in my post just above this one.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
What happens if you run it using another browser?

Edit: Just ran it using Win 7 and FireFox and got the line graph.

That seemed to fix the issue.

Here's the results page with WIN10 and Internet Explorer (using fake data.)

Attachments

• iefirecalc.JPG
    iefirecalc.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 25
I recently updated Adobe Acrobat (on May 9). Does anyone know if that includes Flash?

omni

Attachments

• adobe..JPG
    adobe..JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 24
I just downloaded Adobe Flash and reran Firecalc using my default items (WIN10 and Firefox).

W2R was right :flowers:...updating Adobe Flash is what was required.

Here's the latest results page (using fake input data, again). :dance:

Thanks for the help, everyone!

omni
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save

Attachments

• firecalcCapture.JPG
    firecalcCapture.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 18
I do wish we could get away from using Flash for charts and anything else. It has to many security problems. I don't see any charts since I removed Flash from my computers a while back.

Back
Top Bottom