Car Race Fans - May 28th is the day

Car-Guy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK, for the few car racing fans out there on this forum, let me remind you that tomorrow is arguably the biggest day in car racing for the year.

First, it's racing in Monaco (Monte Carlo) IMO, one of the best races of the F1 circuit. (starts early in the AM here in the US)

Second, it's the 101st running of the Indy 500. Starts mid day here in the US.

Third, it's NASCAR's Coca-Cola's 600 in Charlotte. (Starts about 6pm ET)

Several of my racing friends are coming over tomorrow to watch the races. :dance:(and drink my beer):facepalm:

Drivers, start your engines.

Enjoy! I live about 10 miles from the Charlotte Motor Speedway. This is the worst traffic and mayhem week of the year. I will be avoiding all things racing related.

Good to know. My husband definitely is a car race fan. I hope we find the right channel.

Monaco starts the day with Formula 1. Those cars are absolutely incredible. Just the steering wheel costs more than an entire NASCAR Cup car.

I used to live outside Indy, and really enjoyed the spectacle of The Race.
But at 232 mph, I barely would eat my bucket of KFC and drink a 6 pack--and the race is over.

I too have been to many NASCAR races--including camping at Talladega. (Never seen so many unruly guys and ugly women.) I depend on NASCAR to give me the best nap of the week. I do usually wake up for the last 10 laps, however. But since the race is at night, I can stay up long enough for another last 5 lap crashes and restarts.

I remain a fan of all kinds of racing--after working on some sports car pit crews. Those drivers have nerves of steel, and for that I appreciate them.

Agreed, it's the biggest, best day in car racing all year. Not that I'll watch any of them. It's supposed to be nice here, so I'll be enjoying the outdoors before the oppressive heat of summer makes it uncomfortable.

I've been to the Indy 500 twice and to lots of NASCAR races, but never been to Monaco. Bucket list.

When I moved to Indy in '83 the 500 was celebrated for the entire month of May. They nearly self destructed but now it's getting more popular. Spectacle is the right name for Indy. I really enjoy listening on the radio since it was usually blacked out locally and we re usually out in backyard all weekend.

F1 is cool, I find circular-track racing kind of boring. I wish pro rally would get more coverage. Wild stuff.

I've already warned DH that I will be parked in front of the TV all afternoon and evening. Unfortunately I forgot to record the F1 race this morning.

Great day here between F1 Monaco and the America's Cup. We'll watch all or part of Indy too, but probably not NASCAR.

Safety First.
They walked away
:flowers:

And Scott Dixon was one of the drivers I was rooting for. The way that car hit the wall at that speed, it was amazing he wasn't hurt or worse.

Well so far none of my drivers have won their races today, but a couple came in the top 5. Still have hopes that either Jimmie Johnson or Kyle Bush can win the Coca-Cola 600 tonight.

Secretly, I'd like to see Danica Patrick win, but that's about as likely as the Dow hitting 25,000 in the next 30 days.

Last edited:
Safety First.
They walked away
:flowers:

Those cars are amazing. Just last night I was watching a youtube documentary video about the history of race cars. I'm not a huge fan of car racing myself but I find the mechanical/engineering aspects of the sport fascinating, and the amazing amount of effort that goes into cutting a fraction of a second off a lap time or pit stop.

I did watch the Indy race, and the skill and bravery of those drivers is impressive. I'm really a fan of Fernando Alonzo even though racing situations and a blown engine knocked him out of the hunt. Alonzo had never ran any high speed oval track before after coming out of Formula 1's sports car background. He's a true gentleman, too.

Back
Top Bottom