just discovered night light on computer

Blue Collar Guy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I sent out my HP 17 inch laptop for accidental warranty work, just about every day now i get some sort of message from the HP assistant. Seems now i have a night light option .After hitting all kind of buttons i enabled it, its awesome. it lowers some sort of background light after it gets dark, less eye strain. In the repair summary they said they updated some stuff in addition to replacing the keyboard. Hope this helps other Posters that sit in from of the computer for hours. Now we can post more on this wonderful forum

I don't have an HP (I built my own desktop) but that's great they included that option! For those of us who don't have a built in option, I use the program f.lux. It automatically changes the light color depending on the time of day in your area. At dusk my screen seems to have a soft pink light. I'm sure it changes to deeper color filtering at night but my eyes can't determine what the app is doing after a certain time. It's very nice and have been using it for years.

I don't have an HP (I built my own desktop) but that's great they included that option! For those of us who don't have a built in option, I use the program f.lux. It automatically changes the light color depending on the time of day in your area. At dusk my screen seems to have a soft pink light. I'm sure it changes to deeper color filtering at night but my eyes can't determine what the app is doing after a certain time. It's very nice and have been using it for years.

Night light is part of the latest Windows 10 update, not specific to hardware. I uninstalled f.lux when night light was added - f.lux is somewhat of a resource hog for what it does.

Night light is part of the latest Windows 10 update, not specific to hardware. I uninstalled f.lux when night light was added - f.lux is somewhat of a resource hog for what it does.
Didn't know about this one. It turns out my computer has not been updated yet to the Win 10 Creators Update which has the "night light" settings. This started rolling out in April I think.

Here is a good article on enabling your display settings assuming you now have that update. https://www.howtogeek.com/302186/how-to-enable-night-light-on-windows-10/
https://www.howtogeek.com/278132/whats-new-in-windows-10s-creators-update/

Oh I didn't know this. I must not have that feature yet. Will definitely try that out when I get it. Thanks for that!

New idea for Windows, old hat on MacBook, based on ambient light is how bright or dim my screen is. Boy Windows is wiz bang cutting edge.

New idea for Windows, old hat on MacBook, based on ambient light is how bright or dim my screen is. Boy Windows is wiz bang cutting edge.

Night Shift for Mac was introduced in January 2017, also following in the footsteps of F.lux for Mac. Auto-dimming is a different feature that has been on available on most any laptop for years.

Night Shift for Mac was introduced in January 2017, also following in the footsteps of F.lux for Mac. Auto-dimming is a different feature that has been on available on most any laptop for years.

I stand corrected, I see the deference.

I tried the night light setting on my laptop when I first installed the Creator's Update for Windows 10.

I didn't like it. I'm all for bright lights and bright settings on my laptop. I might use the night light setting the next time my ophthalmologist dilates my eyes, but otherwise it is wasted on me.

I generally avoid before bed computer usage. Sleeping well is a good health habit.

Its awesome, so much less eye strain.

Just thinking the same thing. Back when I was still w*rking, my coffee klatch often talked about the "latest" Windows feature and it was never appreciated when I pointed out that "my Mac does that already." YMMV

Back
Top Bottom