How Much Is A Haircut?

clobber

Recycles dryer sheets
Sticker shock (and i'm young). I've been living around the world for a while now and just back visiting the good ol' USA. Having sticker shock at times. I've been having some haircuts for $2-$3 and many for $10 - all overseas. In rural(ish) Texas, I just went to two places that charge $19 or $20. I'm talking standard men's haircut. These are just regular barber shops?

What do you pay?

The one that charges $20 gives you a dedicated 1/2 hour. So by my calculations, that is $40 an hour or an equivalent salary of $83,000. That is assuming he is full up for 8 hours a day. When I checked his calendar he was pretty full.

$12 in Connecticut, usually just give him $15. He's been cutting my hair and my boys hair for years.

I bought an $18 clipper 18 years ago...DW does the clipping. My hair gets cut round 20 times per year. So, by one way of reckoning, we're now down to about 5 cents per cut. Since I keep it clipped pretty short, I have trouble dishing out $15 plus tips to have it done for me...about 3-4 minutes in the chair...not a whole lot of styling going on there. I'm hoping to get another 18-20 years out of the clipper...more if I can. I'm targeting 2 cents per clip average over time, if I can keep it running that long.

$12 for me too. I've paid more at other places, and I've paid less. Pretty sure I paid more a few years ago when I lived in the Austin area.

$83K, but what about overhead? If it's his own place, he's renting the space, and paying electric, insurance, water, etc. If it's not, he's probably renting the chair.

$15 to 20 including tip depending where I go.

Sticker shock (and i'm young). I've been living around the world for a while now and just back visiting the good ol' USA. Having sticker shock at times. I've been having some haircuts for $2-$3 and many for $10 - all overseas. In rural(ish) Texas, I just went to two places that charge $19 or $20. I'm talking standard men's haircut. These are just regular barber shops?

What do you pay?

The one that charges $20 gives you a dedicated 1/2 hour. So by my calculations, that is $40 an hour or an equivalent salary of $83,000. That is assuming he is full up for 8 hours a day. When I checked his calendar he was pretty full.

Come on. That barber does not pocket what you pay him. Somebody has to pay the shop's rent, utilities, property tax, etc.

W. NY state: 2 different places $20 each. One includes a wash for that price the other doesn't.

I get slapped around i think its up to 17 bucks. This is a no frills barber shop. No bookie, no smoking , no boxing matches on the tv's. I lay a 10 dollar bill on the guy for a tip. I should get charged by the numbers of hair they cut. i would only owe them a buck. You can still go the beauty school and they charge 3 dollars. Im not a big extravagant tipper but the bride found out i was only giving him 2 bucks tip about 3 years ago and she called me a cheap skate, so im trying to make up for the past. The beauty school is a good deal if you have time to kill they take forever and put about 15 clips in your hair then the teacher comes over to inspect. I stopped going because my wife got jealous, they had all young ladies in there and she thought they were "givin me the eye". hahahah

It's $9, but my husband usually gives him $12. This guy has been cutting my husband's hair for 12 years now.

About 15 years ago I sent some scissors to a professional sharpener recommended by a local barber. The gal uses them on me when I get shaggy; I use them on her (nothing fancy - she dunks her head in the tub, I comb it straight back and cut it straight & level across the back). She adjusts what I've done to suit herself. So pretty close to zero bucks for us both. She also colors her own hair and does a much better job than many of the pro coloring jobs I've seen done to different women.

The one that charges $20 gives you a dedicated 1/2 hour.

I'd be more likely to pay him $20 to get me out of there in 10min or so. What's he do for 1/2 hour? Talk to you?

I'm paying pretty much in line with what I see here. It's about $12 and I give a $5 tip, so $17.

I was doing my own for awhile, but even for an easy cut like mine, #4 all over, it's not that easy to do. Between making sure I don't miss a spot, getting around the ears, getting the back even, and cleaning up, it's just not worth it. Plus I just like the feeling of having my hair cut, whether it's with scissors or electric.

$28 dollars + $7 tip. Haircut takes an hour. I get a haircut about every 2 months.

Wow you guys are cheap (or LBYM). Here in Mn the toll is $37 + tip and I am losing my hair. Go every 5 wks

I bought an $18 clipper 18 years ago...DW does the clipping. My hair gets cut round 20 times per year.

Same here. Until high school, she also did the two boys' hair also. On our third clippers. Cost.......well she gets 50% of everything.

Here on Long Island, I pay $15 + a $4 tip.

There is a diiference between male and female, they charge more for female. But I don't know how much they charge me because I do a combo.

Even the "Senior Cut" at Supercuts is $15.95 these days including tip.

I haven't been since December and I am looking awfully shaggy. Got to go before they pick me up for being a homeless person or something.

Last edited:
Kind of expensive for me at $30, but I have an excuse: I tried going to a cheaper place a couple of times and each time DW was unhappy with the result and said I should go back to the old place. A happy wife means a happy life and who am I to argue.

Back
Top Bottom