Where you were employed pics

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Most recent was in 1984 on the 19th and 23rd floor of the (Montgomery Ward) tower in Chicago... Now apartments.

In 1979, was in the larger complex, riverside. It's 1.25 million square feet in size. That picture is all of the buildings except for the bridge

In 1970, in the Albany NY, office building in Menands...Now offices and apartments. Office was on the 9rh floor... in the tower. The 10th floor, housed the elevator equipment, and was the home to many bats.

Where did you work?... (Pics) Fond Memories?

Attachments

• Ward Tower.jpg
    Ward Tower.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 464
  • Ward complex.png
    Ward complex.png
    436.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Wards Albany.jpg
    Wards Albany.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 455
Last edited:
The one photo I don't have, but remember quite well. A management training class, a group 30 plus instructors, held at a beach resort outside Caracas where we typically had training. The group was one woman and 29 men.The photographer took multiple shots, but apparently they all came out the same. The group was off to one side of the hotel, a very green area with lots of plants, quiet and no place to walk. Most of the men in the photo are all looking off to one side, while the sole woman is staring directly at the camera. Not captured by the photographer were a couple of women sunbathing topless, off to the side in what they thought was secluded, and now the same area where the men were looking.

Cavalier AFS from 1976 to 2010

Attachments

• Par Bldg Winter.jpg
    Par Bldg Winter.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 420
  • user15758_pic1420_1480906331.jpg
    user15758_pic1420_1480906331.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 79
I worked at the Bell Labs facility in Holmdel NJ for 25 years. Designed by famed architect Eero Saarinen, and once the jewel of America's R & D efforts, the building has lately been seen in the Cadillac commercial shown during the Oscars broadcast.

I have some great memories of that building.

Don't have a photo - a map will have to do. My last gig - surveying the right of way of the Elgin O'hare West Access.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 11.37.49 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-07-08 at 11.37.49 AM.jpg
    703.5 KB · Views: 78
When I was in college I had a summer job at Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires, I worked in the ticket booth for the brand-new alpine slide. I came across this photo from the grand opening celebration in 1978 showing MA Sen Jack Fitzpatrick and my boss.

A big perk of that job was a free ride on the alpine slide once a day. But I was scared of heights so, after one time, I never took advantage of that. :LOL:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 75
My Industrial Engineering days I worked for the brass and copper manufacturing plant in Ansonia, Connecticut. The plant was built in ~1890 or so (I found pictures of the power plant going up in 1911). It was shut down in about 15 years ago. About 1,000,000 sq/ft under roof. When I was in CT this past April, I drove by and stopped at a gate and took this (welcome to the real New England):

IMG_20170422_133827.jpg

Wish I did have a picture. Looking out my office, there was a field across the road. Behind that there was a forested area. Part of the field was planted in "prairie grass" which could just be called "wild flowers." I often saw herds of deer running and playing in the field or darting in and out of the woods. Megacorp installed hiking trails back through the woods and sometimes, lunch was a cafeteria meal in a box carried across the road to a gazebo by the woods. Nice.

I like the anonymous nature of the internet, and for that reason do not want to post a photo of the outside of my work building. It would be equivalent to telling the world where I worked, and that idea doesn't float my boat.

Photos of the workspace inside were not allowed for security reasons. That's pretty understandable.

So, no photo. But I can tell you that in looking through the photos in an attempt to find something I could post, the sheer joy of retirement intensified considerably.

Will it EVER grow old? Now, in my 8th year of retirement, I'd say "Never!" :dance:

I'm not against posting my picture (above) where I cut my teeth in engineering as it reminds me how poorly some companies were run in the 1970's (and earlier). That was a tribute to how we lost our once held manufacturing excellence in this great country of ours.

One employer's London offices were in this building. I was never based there, but boy,did I feel like the height of cool as I walked past tourists on my way in every morning when I had meetings there.

image-from-originalbuzz-info.jpg

I worked at the Bell Labs facility in Holmdel NJ for 25 years. Designed by famed architect Eero Saarinen, and once the jewel of America's R & D efforts, the building has lately been seen in the Cadillac commercial shown during the Oscars broadcast.

I have some great memories of that building.
Bell Labs and Western Electric were the main contractors on construction of the Perimeter Acquistion Radar (PAR) at Cavaliet AFS.

A picture from a prior career. This equipment is newer then ours(1930s). It's representative of the job I did for a few years. That circle saw spins at 600 RPM with a 100 hp diesel powering it. I stood just behind the saw and routinely had my fingers next to it; to pull slabs and scrap from it. It's called offbearer or stupid depending how hungry you are.

There's little guides that keep the front of the saw from going sideways in a log. The saw has a tension to it, so the guides must be adjusted with the saw at full speed. Many old time sawyers are missing the same two fingers.[emoji111]

My best friend had his jeans caught in the arbor and luckily his pants shreaded. The power unit wasn't stopping.

http://www.spachtsawmill.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/IMG_5489-1024x682.jpg

Last edited:
The three places I spent most of my working life in.

big_benny.jpgcommandcenter.jpg920x920.jpg

Mostly I worked in hospitals but here is a picture of my high school summer job

Attachments

• kohrs3.jpg
    kohrs3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom