enjoying your retirement life?

Pat in Europe

Confused about dryer sheets
Are you enjoying your retirement life?
if you're not yet retired, how do you see your retirement life? what is your plan?

Life on a daily basis has never been better. I have time to see the roses, smell the roses, buy more roses, and grow roses of my own at home and away from home. Thank you dear God!

Never been better. I have not wanted to go back, even though I was offered, for a single day. Account values are up, more money that I can spend.

I have been retired for about 10 weeks and love it. With 2 young kids and summer break we have been enjoying a lot of family time/vacations. I haven't spent as much time on my hobbies/projects, but I would rather be playing with my kids than play golf /guitar/etc. The hobbies can wait until they go back to school. Stress levels are way down and enjoying life is way up. ;)

Going on seven months for me - and I love it. I am busier than ever, but with things *I* want to do. Freedom to travel more is towards the top of my list.

I really doubt you will hear much about retirement that is negative here. After all it is an early retirement site. Only so many ways you can say " I love it". Many previous threads on this. You should check them out.

Yup definitely, once they sort out healthcare for the good of us all it will be Perfect. That is my ONLY worry these days.

Almost 9 months for us, and loving it! Have been able to spend time with every one of our family members who live across the country, plus take a retirement trip to the Virgin Islands for 3 months! Working out a lot more too, although haven't lost weight due to eating out and drinking more often. Need to work on that!

PS - others on this board recommended to me that I just let retirement unfold for me rather than trying to have a detailed plan. I think this is excellent advice!

Early Retirees share why they Love their Life!!
Financial Advisors hate #7.

8 months into E.R. for me and 13 months for DW. We are loving it! :dance: No regrets and no plans to turn back, either!!

PS - others on this board recommended to me that I just let retirement unfold for me rather than trying to have a detailed plan. I think this is excellent advice!

+1 I retired with a vision/framework, but let the details fall into place over time. Some people, however, prefer more structure, and may feel differently.

I have been retired for nearly 9 years. It has been great. After 16 years of full-time work and 7 more of part-time work, I realized that I had to further reduce my weekly hours worked from 12 to zero. I had already built up a good personal life I had recaptured after the full-time work era ended. I was able to expand on it in the last 9 years.

Even some health issues which developed in the last 2 years haven't slowed me down. In fact, being retired at the time meant that I could devote 100% of my time and effort toward making myself well again, something which would have been far more difficult had I been working even part-time.

I was also able to help out my ladyfriend a lot when she suffered a devastating injury 2 years ago, just after I got better from my health issues. Her recovery and getting back to a normal life would have been far more difficult had I still been working, even part-time.

I have been at it since 2002. No problem so far. Have made several changes along the way.

Hi Pat, welcome to the site.

Why don't you tell us a little about yourself. The survey link you posted in your other thread starter has a country code of Germany, is that where you live?

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/retirement-planning-survey-87753.html#post1913485

Just joined this forum.
Yes living in Germany for some time. Have been thinking about leaving the place I never really like :) and go for an early retirement.

But where? How? What to do? These are the reasons for a simple survey to get some ideas.

Just joined this forum.
Yes living in Germany for some time. Have been thinking about leaving the place I never really like :) and go for an early retirement.

But where? How? What to do? These are the reasons for a simple survey to get some ideas.

Good luck going forward, you should get plenty of thoughts from members here.

I love every minute! Life could only be better if I didn't have some aches and pains. Otherwise, it's wonderful to do exactly what we want, or even waste a day with no guilt.

As mentioned above, let retirement unfold. Having a vision of what retirement should be like may disappoint. It's been 11 years now for me. I'm thankful for no longer having to 'punch the time clock' every morning, but other than that, it just hasn't worked out as I expected. Sometimes it's out of your control.
On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the best I could have hoped for), I give myself a 4.

Best of luck.......

a Survey probably isn't the best way. Dive in, join and read the threads that span a number of topics, and you'll get a real feel of the various experiences.

YMMV.

There are different ways of looking at everything. You can be positive about them or negative. For example, my wife went thru a bit of a health crisis last year...you can say "doggone it, just when I retired and thought I was gonna have fun." Or, you can say, "thank goodness I'm retired and have the time and ability to help her thru it."

Retirement is a part of life, but life is also a part of retirement. It isn't always "all fun and games." But, when approached with the right attitude, it can be much more enjoyable that being part of the rat race...even when life hands you a bucket of lemons.

Back
Top Bottom