Door County WI Vacation Recommendations II

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We visited in 2014*, and enjoyed it enough that we're going again for 4 days in Sept. Any (new) recommendations? We're most interested in restaurants, shopping (clothes, jewelry, art/craft galleries), outdoor activities (kayaking, biking, zip line) and getting on the water (boat tour, sail charter). My prelim list:

• Serendipity Restaurant, The Fireside Restaurant, Wild Tomato Wood-Fired Pizza, Alexander's Restaurant, Waterfront Restaurant, The Harbor View Grill (Rooftop), Blue Horse Café, Door County Creamery
  • Maple Grove Gallery, Door Artisan Cheese, MacReady Artisan Bread Company, Blue Dolphin House, On Deck Clothing, Edgewood Orchard Galleries, Hands On Art Studio, Exchange Bay Shore Outfitters, Door County Distillery
  • Lakeshore Adventures Zip Line, Door County Kayak Tours, Northern Sky Theatre, Peninsula State Park, Peninsula Players Theatre, NorDoor Cyclery
  • Fish Creek Scenic Boat Tours Sail, Door County, Shoreline Charters
* http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/door-county-wi-vacation-recommendations-73799.html

Wish I could help but I was last in Door County more than 40 years ago. Newport State Park at the far tip is stunning.

My last trip up there I did some wreck diving off Washington Island.

Attachments

• dondiveDC.jpg
    dondiveDC.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 19
  • more-louisiana_5043225354_o.jpg
    more-louisiana_5043225354_o.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 20
The Door for many years was a regular vacation spot for us. We would always go during Fall Fest which at that time was the last festival weekend of the summer/fall. In fact, we did not realize the family impact it had until our son took his now wife there to ask her to marry him.

You did not mention a fish boil but perhaps that is included in one of the restaurant plans you have already. Make sure you watch the boil and the flaming pot at the end.
It is really part of the meal. We would go to Bailey Harbor or the Fire station if they were doing a fund raiser. But you can find them all over for all price ranges.

Al Johnsons Swedish restaurant in Sister Bay, with the goats on the roof is typically a must stop and eat. Look for the goats. Wilsons Ice Cream parlor in Ephraim is also a must stop for most. I see you plan the distillery and I think the wine tasting is there as well. The wine is not for everybody but for me some of the wines make a nice drink during the holidays.

BTW, if you are a football fan (or perhaps just want an experience) try to take in a Packer game. A bit expensive to buy open market tickets but a fun experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom