Another scam call

CardsFan

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
MIL (86) gets a phone call from someone pretending to be my son. "Got in an accident,..... the lawyer is here with me,.... it doesn't sound like me cause I broke my nose,... need money." You get the drift.

Thank God MIL has her wits, and SIL lives there (another loooong story), so they caught on quick and hung up.

But this guy was good! Knew all the names, knew SIL lived there. Had other details that gave MIL and SIL a moment to pause. This was NOT a Nigerian Prince kind of call.

MIL has a hard time understanding that all this info is out there, and if someone targets you, they can get a TON of personal info, for a small fee.

Just another warning to be on the watch for your elder friends.:mad:

MIL (86) gets a phone call from someone pretending to be my son. "Got in an accident,..... the lawyer is here with me,.... it doesn't sound like me cause I broke my nose,... need money." You get the drift.

Thank God MIL has her wits, and SIL lives there (another loooong story), so they caught on quick and hung up.

But this guy was good! Knew all the names, knew SIL lived there. Had other details that gave MIL and SIL a moment to pause. This was NOT a Nigerian Prince kind of call.

MIL has a hard time understanding that all this info is out there, and if someone targets you, they can get a TON of personal info, for a small fee.

Just another warning to be on the watch for your elder friends.:mad:

+1 I know they are good, thanks for the heads up. They do their homework on the intended victims.

If the caller knew all the names and who lived there, this doesn't sound like a stranger calling. Sure it's not someone known to her and trying to scam your MIL.

If the caller knew all the names and who lived there, this doesn't sound like a stranger calling. Sure it's not someone known to her and trying to scam your MIL.

I'll agree this is possible, but a short excursion on line can recover all the info, maybe for a small fee Via Intellius? and others.

OTOH, since this was so targeted, we do have the anteneas up for an aquaintance/friend/etc. A very disturbing possibility.

Just on the lighter side here. MIL is usually very careful answering calls from unknown callers (she does not have my number programmed and often will not answer), but somehow, a hidden call from a "private number" gets answered. Go figure.

It is almost childs play to get lots of information. Someone showed me a letter from the SSA saying they might be eligible for a small DB pension, and they have no recollection of it over the last 25 years. They have check stubs and that is all. Lots of mergers and acquisitions -- not a clear trail. Found the plan administrators name but was unable to get an address for his office or his phone number.

Just a few minutes with Peoplefinders (the free part), LinkedIn, Google, and Zillow and I have his name, home address and phone number, his age, wife's age and maiden name, names and ages of two adult children still at home, value of his house, vin of his car, and some other info. All this without trying very hard or using a paid service. Registered letter to corporate office, and if no response, they'll just call him at home, but I think that is kind of creepy. His employer has successfully hidden him behind a firewall.

Most of this comes from public information and a lot more of that is online these days. These "search sites" have commercialized the acquisition and delivery of this information. And then there are the sites like Facebook where people volunteer a lot of information.

But any interaction with anybody saying "send money" should be investigated thoroughly. A friend's mother got caught in one of these and lost several thousand. Nephew got a DWI and was in jail -- don't tell mom or dad -- send bail money -- on and on. In fact the nephew was at home the whole time.

Last edited:
Almost makes one think about having a secret verification word among family members :(.

Almost makes one think about having a secret verification word among family members :(.

Just ask them something they should know- the name of an aunt and uncle living in another state, for example. Mom tripped up one scammer who claimed to be my son who got arrested for getting drunk at a bachelor party. DS is a teetotaler.

I've tripped up a few scammers who sent me messages from (supposedly) friends by asking them questions they should have been able to answer but couldn't.

Just another reason to be careful about posting too much info on Facebook or Instagram. With so many people posting family photos, letting the world know they're away on vacation, etc., it's not surprising that these scams happen. Sounds like your MIL handled it very well!

Just ask them something they should know- the name of an aunt and uncle living in another state, for example. Mom tripped up one scammer who claimed to be my son who got arrested for getting drunk at a bachelor party. DS is a teetotaler.

I've tripped up a few scammers who sent me messages from (supposedly) friends by asking them questions they should have been able to answer but couldn't.

What were the scammers' responses when they know they got tripped up?

Did they just hang up or confess? Probably hung up, I bet.

Surrendered themselves to the authorities, turned their lives around, and did volunteer work in Ouagadougou, I'll wager.

In my mother's case they hung up. The three scammers on which I've used this: one never responded (e-mail from acquaintance supposedly marooned in Philippines for minor offense needing $950 bail money), one on FB messenger said not to ask me those questions because they embarrassed them and the other guessed but answered wrong. I told both of them to go to hell (in both cases they were spoofing the account of widows I knew and I'm a widow, too) and then permanently disconnected them and reported them to FB.

In my mother's case they hung up. The three scammers on which I've used this: one never responded (e-mail from acquaintance supposedly marooned in Philippines for minor offense needing $950 bail money), one on FB messenger said not to ask me those questions because they embarrassed them and the other guessed but answered wrong. I told both of them to go to hell (in both cases they were spoofing the account of widows I knew and I'm a widow, too) and then permanently disconnected them and reported them to FB.

Glad you reported them. Those scammers have no moral code.

Have a brother who has scammers creating a new profile using info I assume gathered from his FB account. He carelessly likes to showcase is every meal and more on FB so is a prime target for the picking :facepalm:.

Just a few minutes with Peoplefinders (the free part), LinkedIn, Google, and Zillow and I have his name, home address and phone number, his age, wife's age and maiden name, names and ages of two adult children still at home, value of his house, vin of his car, and some other info.

Yes--it's too easy. You don't need to have shared any of this information on social media or whatever, someone can start with a phone number or a name and learn all of the above in just a few minutes.

Yes--it's too easy. You don't need to have shared any of this information on social media or whatever, someone can start with a phone number or a name and learn all of the above in just a few minutes.

That secret code word is sounding better and better :facepalm:.

Of course, if getting a scam call like "family member is in the ICU" could just call or text family member directly :cool:.

It is so easy nowadays. We have an unlisted LL phone. I googled the number and voila! name and address!:confused:

I don't have a source but have heard that much of what we call "ID theft" is in fact done by acquaintances and even "friends" as well as family. Kind of sad but not really too surprising given the fractured families that exist in so many homes. I know a lady who had to be very careful that her husband's children (from various "sources") didn't take advantage of her - from stealing $20 from her purse to using her as a credit reference. Sad since she was what held the "family" together and made sure everyone got to eat. YMMV

They just go on to the next target. These people do this for a living. They dont lose any sleep over it.
You know how you maybe used to drink your coffee during your break and talk over retirement strategies with your work buddies? They have their afternoon coffee(they usually sleep late) and talk over their next scam.

It is so easy nowadays. We have an unlisted LL phone. I googled the number and voila! name and address!:confused:

When DW and I met she had a LL phone listed in her previously married name; we kept that listing after we married and relocated.

People we know, know our number, people we don't know ask for either Mr or Mrs 'Listed Name'...at which point, (if we've even allowed the call to get this far), we hang up.

I'll agree this is possible, but a short excursion on line can recover all the info, maybe for a small fee Via Intellius? and others.

OTOH, since this was so targeted, we do have the anteneas up for an aquaintance/friend/etc. A very disturbing possibility.
Doubt it's a friend. my MIL got essentially the same call a few years ago. Had all the details. They target older people obviously and was about her grandson, same thing broken nose I sound different, cops, etc.

Great that in both cases scam failed.

Haven't any of you ever been to a palm reader? These scam artist do basically the same thing and people don't even realize they gave the scam artists the information.
caller: "Hi grandmom, this is (muffled name)
Grandmom: "Danny, is that you?
caller: Yes, grandmom. I fell/tripped/got hit and can't talk very well. I need some money to pay the doctors office. I can't reach mom. Can you give me your credit card # and I'll pay you back as soon as I get home.
Grandmom: No problem, here's my number.

When you ask grandmom about the "details" she will tell you that he said he was Danny. She probably gave away even more information and was so upset about Danny that she doesn't remember that she gave the scammers her grandson's name. I would think no matter how sharp you are, if you hear your grandchild crying or in pain, all reason goes out the window.

People we know, know our number, people we don't know ask for either Mr or Mrs 'Listed Name'...at which point, (if we've even allowed the call to get this far), we hang up.
If they ask for Mr Nemo, you will know it is one of us!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom