Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Life after FIRE (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/)
-   -   Home Improvement (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f29/home-improvement-88117.html)

samclem 10-12-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncbill (Post 2123058)
So, anyone got tips on prepping a smoker's home for sale?

Online it's recommended to wash down every hard surface with a TSP solution, then paint with oil primer (maybe two coats) before top coat.

Don't have much money to spend, so right now I'm thinking rip out everything fabric (e.g. drapes/carpet) & rent an ozone generator for a few weeks. Maybe duct cleaning as well?

If the carpet and drapes are otherwise in good shape, I'd steam clean the carpet (probably needs it anyway) and see if the ozone generator does the trick. They really do well on smoke stench, and usually a lot faster than a week (depends on the concentration of ozone though). Try it in one room for a few days before ripping out good carpet and padding. Don't be tempted to be/work on that house when it is running.
Zinnser BIN primer does a very good job of sealing vapors (out or in), it also resists oily seep-through and it sticks tenatiously. It might be a good choice on ceilings and walls before paint. Good luck!
P.S. Ozone does damage many types of fabric and rubber. Use what you need, but don't go crazy with it.

NgineER 10-12-2018 10:56 AM

^^
Good oil primer like zinnser will hide smoke stains, water based does not. Had a handyman break down and cry after he chose to go water borne primer on a rental renovation and the next day the smoke stains showed up. He did not want to clean sprayer with solvents after oil paint. He had to repaint the whole interior with oil based primer in order to seal the stains in.

Philliefan33 10-12-2018 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NgineER (Post 2123164)
^^
Good oil primer like zinnser will hide smoke stains, water based does not. Had a handyman break down and cry after he chose to go water borne primer on a rental renovation and the next day the smoke stains showed up. He did not want to clean sprayer with solvents after oil paint. He had to repaint the whole interior with oil based primer in order to seal the stains in.

He will cry even more once I tell him how the high-quality water-based primers work.

The stains (water, smoke, tannin) will show through the primer coat, but they are locked into the primer coat and donít migrate into/through the topcoat.

Assuming your handyman used a high-quality water-based primer, he could have put the topcoat over the prepped surface and the stains wouldíve been hidden.

(I spent 25 years in the coatings industry. Making demos that proved this effect was part of my job for a time.)

brett 10-12-2018 11:46 AM

We had a water leak that damaged and discolored a small area in the ceiling.

You are right. We primed with water base. Then we painted. Six months later the water stains were showing through again. Went out and got the Zinser (sp) product. Applied it, then repainted. It did the trick, the water stains did not bleed through.

samclem 10-12-2018 08:26 PM

Just to clarify:. There are several Zinnser primers. Zinnser BIN is a shellac-type primer (alcohol cleanup, powerful smell, dries quickly) and is the one that is largely vapor proof and prevents leak-through of oily liquids, pitch, etc. Some other primers leave a thicker, more opaque film and are best if you just want to cover a bright or dark latex paint, etc

Ronstar 10-12-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samclem (Post 2123577)
Just to clarify:. There are several Zinnser primers. Zinnser BIN is a shellac-type primer (alcohol cleanup, powerful smell, dries quickly) and is the one that is largely vapor proof and prevents leak-through of oily liquids, pitch, etc. Some other primers leave a thicker, more opaque film and are best if you just want to cover a bright or dark latex paint, etc

I use Zinsser BIN quite a bit. I havenít had a need to cover a lot of stains, but it covers knots, etc in my woodworking quite well. Also use it as a primer for covering existing oil base paint with latex paint. Thin and dries very fast. Sands to a very smooth surface on wood. It is amazing. But use in a ventilated area.

brett 10-13-2018 01:41 PM

I use BIN.

I do not bother with cleanup. The brush or the roller gets discarded ( I only use inexpensive, displosable for this product). It is as thin as water but goes on well. More importantly...it works!