Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Travel Information (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/)
-   -   Paris Best Western. A surprise. (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/paris-best-western-a-surprise-88131.html)

SpinDr 08-20-2017 02:24 PM

Paris Best Western. A surprise.
 
Just thought I'd pass along a tidbit from our trip to France. As part of our planning I'd set up hotels/B&B's prior to our arriving. Our first night in France was in Paris, followed by a train the next day to Normandy. In planning I'd booked a Best Western (Paris, Sydney Opera Best Western) as just a place to sleep, not really as a longer stay type location. It ended up being about the nicest accommodations for our trip! Great staff, room, bathroom and excellent complimentary breakfast.

Don't get me wrong, I've stayed at a lot of Best Westerns but consider them more of a road trip hotel. This Paris location, at $120 Euro, was far superior than any other Best Western I've stayed in. Later during our trip I'd recounted my pleasant surprise with a tour guide and, according to her, Best Westerns were considered a very nice hotel in France.

Anyone else ever stay at one in Paris?

Red Badger 08-20-2017 03:01 PM

Stayed at the one in Epinal, France. Hotel was nothing special, but the on site restaurant had superb fixed price and menu options.

rodi 08-20-2017 03:45 PM

Best Westerns vary quite a bit since they have a franchise model. We stayed (domestically) in many best westerns on our road trip earlier this summer. Some were VERY nice... others were pretty awful.

MRG 08-20-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodi (Post 1925920)
Best Westerns vary quite a bit since they have a franchise model. We stayed (domestically) in many best westerns on our road trip earlier this summer. Some were VERY nice... others were pretty awful.

+1

braumeister 08-20-2017 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodi (Post 1925920)
Best Westerns vary quite a bit since they have a franchise model. We stayed (domestically) in many best westerns on our road trip earlier this summer. Some were VERY nice... others were pretty awful.

The worst case of food poisoning I've ever experienced was after breakfast at a Best Western in Iowa, and frankly it has made me reluctant to stay there. I'll only use one if there is no better choice. Not entirely rational, since it was a rare event at one franchisee, but still ...

SpinDr 08-20-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodi (Post 1925920)
Best Westerns vary quite a bit since they have a franchise model. We stayed (domestically) in many best westerns on our road trip earlier this summer. Some were VERY nice... others were pretty awful.

We haven't had any awful Best Western experiences, but most in the US were of the pretty average variety. While in Paris we also popped our head into another Best Western, close to our original, and it also looked very nice. Maybe a Paris thing for Best Western.

Bamaman 08-20-2017 08:42 PM

That is a fair value for a nice room in any large European city. I try to stay in small hotels and B&Be but.will go with a chain hotel from time.to time.

FUEGO 08-20-2017 09:17 PM

We stayed in a Best Western in Buenos Aires, Argentina and it was an incredible value (even for moderate COL Buenos Aires). I think it was USD$40 to $60/nt and we booked it weird - 4 nights in a regular room and 2 nights in a luxury suite (2 BRs, hot tub, living room w/ fireplace etc). Or maybe it was 2 nts then 4 nts. Very nice hotel room. Included a great hot breakfast with plenty of meats and fancy cheeses. You'd pay that much for an equivalent breakfast buffet for 2 in some places.

Scrapr 08-20-2017 09:31 PM

We have heard that Best Westerns are a step up in Europe. I think we did one in our trip across Europe in Bremen Germany. The area was a bit "colorful" as Mrs Scrapr would say. But the hotel was nice enough with several unexpected upgrades. Towel warmers, 2 small fridges, etc. The front desk was very nice too

euro 08-21-2017 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodi (Post 1925920)
Best Westerns vary quite a bit since they have a franchise model. We stayed (domestically) in many best westerns on our road trip earlier this summer. Some were VERY nice... others were pretty awful.

That has been our observation too. At least domestically. I don't recall using a BW abroad.

Chuckanut 08-21-2017 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpinDr (Post 1925964)
WWhile in Paris we also popped our head into another Best Western, close to our original, and it also looked very nice. Maybe a Paris thing for Best Western.

I think the French, as a group, are a bit more fussy than we Americans when it comes to things like accommodations and food. When I was in France I found that if I wanted a poor or even mediocre meal, I would have to work hard to find it. Thankfully, I did not want to eat such meals so I avoided the chore.

Even the small mom-and-pop hotels while often small, were clean, neat, and nicely decorated. Just don't get me started on European showers!

kcowan 08-21-2017 01:19 PM

We stayed in two, one in Honfleur right on the water, and one on Costa del Sol Spain also right on the water. Both excellent value and amenities.

(Also Dunedin Fla on the water and in Pacifica Ca on the water. Great experiences.)

ivinsfan 08-21-2017 03:54 PM

FYI when booking a Best Western if it's labeled a Best Western plus,it's usually an upgraded property..

limeyx 08-21-2017 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpinDr (Post 1925881)
Just thought I'd pass along a tidbit from our trip to France. As part of our planning I'd set up hotels/B&B's prior to our arriving. Our first night in France was in Paris, followed by a train the next day to Normandy. In planning I'd booked a Best Western (Paris, Sydney Opera Best Western) as just a place to sleep, not really as a longer stay type location. It ended up being about the nicest accommodations for our trip! Great staff, room, bathroom and excellent complimentary breakfast.

Don't get me wrong, I've stayed at a lot of Best Westerns but consider them more of a road trip hotel. This Paris location, at $120 Euro, was far superior than any other Best Western I've stayed in. Later during our trip I'd recounted my pleasant surprise with a tour guide and, according to her, Best Westerns were considered a very nice hotel in France.

Anyone else ever stay at one in Paris?

Yup ... maybe the same one and yeah it was great!

97guns 08-21-2017 07:03 PM

I stayed at Best Western in Hong Kong and it was really nice for a pretty cheap price, I've stayed at a few here in the states and they weren't as nice

SpinDr 08-21-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcowan (Post 1926275)
We stayed in two, one in Honfleur right on the water, and one on Costa del Sol Spain also right on the water. Both excellent value and amenities.

(Also Dunedin Fla on the water and in Pacifica Ca on the water. Great experiences.)

We really enjoyed Honfleur, especially walking some of the neighborhoods. It was a bit crowded around the harbor but still was fun to hang out.

SpinDr 08-21-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivinsfan (Post 1926369)
FYI when booking a Best Western if it's labeled a Best Western plus,it's usually an upgraded property..

Yep, I've seen the same thing and this one in Paris was a "Plus" version.

Totoro 08-30-2017 06:58 AM

Best Western here (Belgium / Netherlands) are considered decent mid class. One step below Hilton.

When I was an academic researcher we actually had as guideline "reimbursement of Best Western or equivalent price level" when traveling to conferences and such.

gretah 09-12-2017 12:39 AM

The Best Western I stayed in while visiting Vienna was lovely and centrally located.

audreyh1 09-12-2017 05:03 AM

We were very happy with the Best western in Reims France. Very upscale to those we have stayed in in the US.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.