Paris Best Western. A surprise.

SpinDr

Recycles dryer sheets
Just thought I'd pass along a tidbit from our trip to France. As part of our planning I'd set up hotels/B&B's prior to our arriving. Our first night in France was in Paris, followed by a train the next day to Normandy. In planning I'd booked a Best Western (Paris, Sydney Opera Best Western) as just a place to sleep, not really as a longer stay type location. It ended up being about the nicest accommodations for our trip! Great staff, room, bathroom and excellent complimentary breakfast.

Don't get me wrong, I've stayed at a lot of Best Westerns but consider them more of a road trip hotel. This Paris location, at $120 Euro, was far superior than any other Best Western I've stayed in. Later during our trip I'd recounted my pleasant surprise with a tour guide and, according to her, Best Westerns were considered a very nice hotel in France.

Anyone else ever stay at one in Paris?

Stayed at the one in Epinal, France. Hotel was nothing special, but the on site restaurant had superb fixed price and menu options.

Best Westerns vary quite a bit since they have a franchise model. We stayed (domestically) in many best westerns on our road trip earlier this summer. Some were VERY nice... others were pretty awful.

Best Westerns vary quite a bit since they have a franchise model. We stayed (domestically) in many best westerns on our road trip earlier this summer. Some were VERY nice... others were pretty awful.
+1

The worst case of food poisoning I've ever experienced was after breakfast at a Best Western in Iowa, and frankly it has made me reluctant to stay there. I'll only use one if there is no better choice. Not entirely rational, since it was a rare event at one franchisee, but still ...

We haven't had any awful Best Western experiences, but most in the US were of the pretty average variety. While in Paris we also popped our head into another Best Western, close to our original, and it also looked very nice. Maybe a Paris thing for Best Western.

That is a fair value for a nice room in any large European city. I try to stay in small hotels and B&Be but.will go with a chain hotel from time.to time.

We stayed in a Best Western in Buenos Aires, Argentina and it was an incredible value (even for moderate COL Buenos Aires). I think it was USD$40 to $60/nt and we booked it weird - 4 nights in a regular room and 2 nights in a luxury suite (2 BRs, hot tub, living room w/ fireplace etc). Or maybe it was 2 nts then 4 nts. Very nice hotel room. Included a great hot breakfast with plenty of meats and fancy cheeses. You'd pay that much for an equivalent breakfast buffet for 2 in some places.

We have heard that Best Westerns are a step up in Europe. I think we did one in our trip across Europe in Bremen Germany. The area was a bit "colorful" as Mrs Scrapr would say. But the hotel was nice enough with several unexpected upgrades. Towel warmers, 2 small fridges, etc. The front desk was very nice too

That has been our observation too. At least domestically. I don't recall using a BW abroad.

WWhile in Paris we also popped our head into another Best Western, close to our original, and it also looked very nice. Maybe a Paris thing for Best Western.

I think the French, as a group, are a bit more fussy than we Americans when it comes to things like accommodations and food. When I was in France I found that if I wanted a poor or even mediocre meal, I would have to work hard to find it. Thankfully, I did not want to eat such meals so I avoided the chore.

Even the small mom-and-pop hotels while often small, were clean, neat, and nicely decorated. Just don't get me started on European showers!

We stayed in two, one in Honfleur right on the water, and one on Costa del Sol Spain also right on the water. Both excellent value and amenities.

(Also Dunedin Fla on the water and in Pacifica Ca on the water. Great experiences.)

FYI when booking a Best Western if it's labeled a Best Western plus,it's usually an upgraded property..

Just thought I'd pass along a tidbit from our trip to France. As part of our planning I'd set up hotels/B&B's prior to our arriving. Our first night in France was in Paris, followed by a train the next day to Normandy. In planning I'd booked a Best Western (Paris, Sydney Opera Best Western) as just a place to sleep, not really as a longer stay type location. It ended up being about the nicest accommodations for our trip! Great staff, room, bathroom and excellent complimentary breakfast.

Don't get me wrong, I've stayed at a lot of Best Westerns but consider them more of a road trip hotel. This Paris location, at $120 Euro, was far superior than any other Best Western I've stayed in. Later during our trip I'd recounted my pleasant surprise with a tour guide and, according to her, Best Westerns were considered a very nice hotel in France.

Anyone else ever stay at one in Paris?

Yup ... maybe the same one and yeah it was great!

I stayed at Best Western in Hong Kong and it was really nice for a pretty cheap price, I've stayed at a few here in the states and they weren't as nice

We stayed in two, one in Honfleur right on the water, and one on Costa del Sol Spain also right on the water. Both excellent value and amenities.

(Also Dunedin Fla on the water and in Pacifica Ca on the water. Great experiences.)

We really enjoyed Honfleur, especially walking some of the neighborhoods. It was a bit crowded around the harbor but still was fun to hang out.

Best Western here (Belgium / Netherlands) are considered decent mid class. One step below Hilton.

When I was an academic researcher we actually had as guideline "reimbursement of Best Western or equivalent price level" when traveling to conferences and such.

The Best Western I stayed in while visiting Vienna was lovely and centrally located.

We were very happy with the Best western in Reims France. Very upscale to those we have stayed in in the US.

Agreed!

Based on a majority of the responses it seems like the European Best Westerns are at a higher standard than the US versions. My next trip to Europe I'll definitely be considering them again for accommodations. For the US versions I'll likely be doing a bit more research : )

Back
Top Bottom