Favorite games?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH & I enjoy playing games, sometimes just us and sometimes with friends. Some that we enjoy are Rummikub, Scrabble, Upwords, Yahtzee, and various card games. A friend recently introduced us to Mexican Train which was quite fun. Charades and Cranium are pretty fun with groups.

Are there any games you recommend? We prefer games that can be played with only 2 players, although ones that require more can be fun too.

There's two handed euchre.

For two players, Backgammon. Also chess and checkers if players are of equal strength.

For more than two players, I like Yahtzee and Monopoly.

DH and I play games every evening when we're out in the RV. Cribbage is always on the menu, but we also enjoy Monopoly Deal (a card game loosely based on the board game), 6Nimmt (another card game we found recently), and YamSlam (a Yahtzee-type game).

Have no idea if it is something that fits for just two, but IIRC my grandparents used to play canasta. Have not heard of it for many years.

My favorite games are Settlers of Catan (board game), Ticket To Ride (board game), and Monopoly Deal (card game). There are SO many great games on the market these days, you could buy one every month and not run out of good choices for many years.

Another one I recently purchased but haven't played yet is Splendor. It has a 4.7 / 5 rating on Amazon.

Scrabble, of course (see my username?). I also play a lot of Strat-o-Matic baseball and still play some chess. I haven't played bridge in years but still like reading my bridge books and following bridge columns. I used to have an old DOS-based bridge program which wasn't very good and doesn't work any more.

I love Mille Bornes, which can be played by two people or more.
coup-fourré

I really enjoy table games, but DW does not, so I don't play much. Working on the grandkids now :)

Mille Bornes, Uno, Cribbage, Backgammon. I played bridge and chess in college but not really good in either.

Scrabble, of course (see my username?). I also play a lot of Strat-o-Matic baseball and still play some chess. I haven't played bridge in years but still like reading my bridge books and following bridge columns. I used to have an old DOS-based bridge program which wasn't very good and doesn't work any more.

IMO, the first two that you mention are the two greatest games ever invented.

Lawn darts. They're hard to find.

This is by far my favorite game to play with family and friends:

loaded-questions-card-game__1412910890_159-118-232-73.jpg

Quarto. Not sure if it is still made - will have to Google it. Great for the mind - keeping track of many things at the same time.

These are the board games my SO and I come back to again and again:

Eldric Horror

Castle Panic

Star Trek Panic

Robinson Crusoe

Ticket to Ride

Pandemic

Dead of Winter

Mice and Mystics

Forbidden Island

Forbidden Desert

I love that board games have come so far since Monopoly and Life and Sorry and Battleship. These kinds of board games we've found to be a lot more fun and engaging, and you're typically working with the people you're playing with instead of against them (except in Ticket to Ride).

Acquire a board game where you start companies and grow them until they take over all smaller ones. Actually a game by 3M which used to have a Leisure Division.

Thanks for all the great ideas!! Can't wait to try some of these.

Have no idea if it is something that fits for just two, but IIRC my grandparents used to play canasta. Have not heard of it for many years.

I learnt how to play Canasta through a social group that I'm involved in. It's a really fun game; strategic but not too challenging. I think it works best with four players. There is a Canasta app which can be used by one or more players on a tablet.

Sequence
Bananagrams (scrabble-ish)
Code Names (need teams)
Hearts (need 3+)
Mexican Train
Backgammon
Rummy
Gin

Used to play the original Trivial Pursuit but it got so no one would play with me. For what ever reason, my brain is wired to recall certain kinds of trivia - especially from my youth and early adulthood. Now, we seldom play games with those we visit with, though DW would like to get into Dominos again. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom