Mexico Travel Warning -Playa del Carmen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recommend you cancel your trip and stay at home in a bubble.

Really ?
Not sure if you are serious or not

I'm semi-serious. If you take normal precautions and don't drive in the countryside, Playa Del Carmen is relatively safe, safer than some areas of the US. If you want to avoid all travel risk, you have to avoid all travel.

Just do not drink the alcohol. Are you staying at the same place the Americans were drugged and killed? The Iberostar Paraiso Resort in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.

Wisconsin family questions daughter's mysterious drowning in Mexico

As much as 36% of the alcohol consumed in Mexico could be illegal
http://www.businessinsider.com/tainted-alcohol-mexico

I have read that most crimes go unsolvable in Mexico. 98% of all murders are unsolved. Have a safe trip...
New figures suggest as many as 93.7 percent of all crimes go unreported or uninvestigated across Mexico.
Unsolved crime rate in Mexico climbs to 93 percent | News | DW | 28.09.2016

Last edited:
I was in the area (Cancun as well as some spots between Cancun and Playa) at the end of last year, late spring this year, and will be going again next month. Statistically, that area is still safer than my home metropolitain area in the USA.

The only change I have noticed recently is a bit more private security and police presence in some areas. I still feel safer there than at home most of the time.

While I am there, I do not plan to go clubbing, get falling down drunk, etc. But, I don't consider those to be safe activities in the USA either.

I was there a couple years ago and felt totally safe. Really loved PDC. However, I understand things have changed a lot in just the last year with the cartels now being active there. The alcohol problem is probably a pretty rare problem in my opinion. I would still go. Just don't go walking down a dark street, alone, late at night or other such activity that you also wouldn't do in many US cities.

Gee, we've stayed there about 8 or 10 times. It is one of my favorite places! Never had a problem in any way, shape or form. Wonder what else was going on and/or left unsaid.

Exactly. I wonder why they do not tell you about the tainted alcohol they serve, or the deaths in the pool....

I would not go to Mexico on a dare. My mother used to live in Chapala, now the US State Department says to stay away. I traveled Mexico fairly extensively in public buses, taxis and private cars.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/mexico-travel-warning.html

Jalisco (includes Guadalajara, Puerto Vallarta, and Lake Chapala): U.S. citizens should defer non-essential travel to areas that border the states of Michoacán and Zacatecas because of continued instability.

Mexico is one half step above Columbia and maybe a few steps below Egypt and other middle eastern countries.

It's probably safe to visit Mexico, until it isn't.

I was there (PDC) in June for my anniversary. 11 days, no problems not did I witness any. We stayed in a private condo just off of 5th Ave. Because of not being at a resort, we were off-site every day, often multiple times a day. Biggest concern were timeshare sharks!

Last edited:
Love Mexico.

Moved mom down to Guadalajara for a new drug regimen that had, at the time, shown some promise in Europe (quicker than applying for compassionate use exemption)

It didn't work for her, but she enjoyed a much higher quality of life her final years.

She was able to have her own room in a home converted to a private geriatric clinic (with an orchard outside her window) vs. the skilled nursing facilities we used (and would have had to use again) here in the U.S.

Met several interesting people, including U.S. & Canadian ex-pats in the Ajijic/Chapala area.

A few (retired early or not) living on little more than SS retirement or disability.

Last edited:
Mexico has all the laws on the books to protect you but enforcement is lacking. If you are looking for the nanny state to protect you, stay away.

You must take more responsibility to be safe at an AI, drink bottled beer. When you go swimming, have a buddy looking out for you. Do not rely on the hotel. Stay away from railings that will not protect you from falling over them. When taking stairs, do not expect a hand railing.

Do not go out alone at night after midnight. Do not accept offers from strangers for anything!

Enjoy your trip! US tourists are accounting for a 20% increase so far this year.

Stay at home and watch Narcos on Netflix :LOL:

Just kidding... was in Cabo in June with no problems. We had a fabulous time. The locals were welcoming and appreciative of our business. I love their sense of humor.

Examples:
When we ignored the timeshare sharks, they called us professional tourists!
Street vendor big smiles and asked 'how can I rip you off today?"
Driver took us over a road full of potholes and called it a 'Mexican massage'.

I know PDC is probably different, but we did hear of some drug violence in Cabo, but out of the tourist zone.

Go, have fun, don't worry, be happy... and carefull

I'll also use this opportunity to brag on my BIL and DW's fun day on the ocean.

Attachments

• DSCN3818.jpg
    DSCN3818.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 66
My retirement plan was to ride my motorcycle down into mexico for a while. I have not backed off that idea totally, but for now I,'m thinking to fly down and not stay in a resort but the local economy. maybe hire a driver for a day if needed...ride the busses, walk. I've been all over the world and all of my unsafe moments have been in the US. I did go to Tijuana many years ago, but that don't count.

When the US calls for a travel warning, I'm going to pay attention. Anecdotal visits where nothing happened is not going to change my mind.

There's a reason for the warning.

If I'm reading the article correctly, they had 4 shots of tequila and then one more in short order. Then hopped into the pool. Suddenly this is Mexico's fault?

While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents, in which innocent bystanders have been injured or killed, have occurred.

Sounds like a typical week in any random mid-size or larger US city.

If I'm reading the article correctly, they had 4 shots of tequila and then one more in short order. Then hopped into the pool. Suddenly this is Mexico's fault?

Yes. I read this story a few weeks ago and couldn't help laughing at the pitiful reporting. They couldn't connect the dots between taking ~6 shots of liquor in an hour then jumping in a pool, which ended up resulting in death? And I figure they flew down from the states, probably on a connecting flight. Probably dehydrated when they stepped off the plane and the tropical heat didn't help any more, and might not have had a decent meal all day (don't think they serve much food on planes to MX). Sounds like a recipe for getting drunk really quickly, whether it's tainted alcohol or the regular kind.

Yes. I read this story a few weeks ago and couldn't help laughing at the pitiful reporting. They couldn't connect the dots between taking ~6 shots of liquor in an hour then jumping in a pool, which ended up resulting in death? And I figure they flew down from the states, probably on a connecting flight. Probably dehydrated when they stepped off the plane and the tropical heat didn't help any more, and might not have had a decent meal all day (don't think they serve much food on planes to MX). Sounds like a recipe for getting drunk really quickly, whether it's tainted alcohol or the regular kind.
Read the entire series of articles...you are referencing one of the cases...there have been many. It has been acknowledged that there was a significant issue with 'imposter tequila'...that issue has allegedly been dealt with, but I would still urge caution. We stayed at the Iberostar on Cozumel in May when these stories were coming to light. We are also going back to the same resort in November and we have determined that we will alternate drinking mixed drinks (between DW and I) to be on the safe side. Is it extreme? Not in my opinion, but others are free to make their own decisions.

We also spent a couple of days at PDC and felt perfectly safe. However, it is worth noting that PDC used to host one of largest EDM festivals in the world, but the organizers have decided to go elsewhere.

When the US calls for a travel warning, I'm going to pay attention. Anecdotal visits where nothing happened is not going to change my mind.

There's a reason for the warning.

You mean... like real life on the street experiences are less valid then a generic govt. warning?

You do know that some foreign govt are putting travel warnings in place for parts of the US too? For civil unrest and police interaction.

I took a peek at this list and don't see any warnings for Europe or GB, the terrorists there are actually targeting tourists areas. That seems strange.

Sounds just lovely. So it is better than Syria:

Mexico's government is contesting a new international report that says the country had 23,000 homicides in 2016 — a level surpassed only by Syria. The International Institute for Strategic Studies says that intense violence fueled by Mexico's drug cartels has reached the level of an armed conflict.

According to statistics from the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, Mexico's murder rate in 2015 was 16.35 people per 100,000, higher than the US rate of 4.88 but much lower than in many countries in Central America and the Caribbean.
In an investigative piece for The Nation, Dawn Paley details the "spectacular violence" that has accompanied the drug war project.
"In 2014, Mexico ranked as the country with the third-most civilians killed in internal conflict, after Syria and Iraq. Bodies have been buried, burned, displayed in public places, hung from bridges and overpasses or beheaded and left at city hall."
A report at The Intercept last year noted that in Mexico "98.3 percent of crimes [went] unpunished in 2013, according to Mexican government statistics".

Mexico's government is contesting a new international report that says the country had 23,000 homicides in 2016 — a level surpassed only by Syria. The International Institute for Strategic Studies says that intense violence fueled by Mexico's drug cartels has reached the level of an armed conflict.

According to statistics from the UN Office on Drugs and Crime, Mexico's murder rate in 2015 was 16.35 people per 100,000, higher than the US rate of 4.88 but much lower than in many countries in Central America and the Caribbean.
In an investigative piece for The Nation, Dawn Paley details the "spectacular violence" that has accompanied the drug war project.
"In 2014, Mexico ranked as the country with the third-most civilians killed in internal conflict, after Syria and Iraq. Bodies have been buried, burned, displayed in public places, hung from bridges and overpasses or beheaded and left at city hall."
A report at The Intercept last year noted that in Mexico "98.3 percent of crimes [went] unpunished in 2013, according to Mexican government statistics".
but hey, a few of us have vacationed there, and we are still alive, so all this hoopla must be just scaredy cats who want to live in a bubble.

Doncha think? :cool:

And the more interesting fact is that 98% of those 23,000 homicides are unsolved.

Mexico is a lawless land. The police cannot protect you if there is an issue. There is nothing in Mexico that the USA doesn't have

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom