10 secrets that are not really secrets to ER crowd

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Fluff article, for sure. I could have added a few nonfluff items but some would get me into some trouble, for sure!:cool:

Good basic list of what many of us have done with the exception of not being DIYers. I'd say we weren't afraid to ask or to educate ourselves.

5. Not Afraid to Ask for Advice. Most millionaires aren’t do-it-yourself (DIY) investors. They know what their strengths are, and if their strengths don't lie in investing and financial planning, they leave it up to the experts.

The first one, "Job Stability" (staying at one employer for years and years), is BS these days. The only times I ever got decent raises were when I jumped jobs.

And "not DIY investors?" Probably not so much on this forum, at least not for me. My portfolio benefited greatly from firing my broker. He was getting richer; I was getting broker.

The first one, "Job Stability" (staying at one employer for years and years), is BS these days. The only times I ever got decent raises were when I jumped jobs.

And "not DIY investors?" Probably not so much on this forum, at least not for me. My portfolio benefited greatly from firing my broker. He was getting richer; I was getting broker.

While I agree that it's harder these days, I did okay with a 2 career path. First was amry/army reserve; then, one mega-c0rp for 25 years (but I took some high risk jobs and also relocated to pull it off). I also marketed myself, received decent offers, but remained when existing employer sweetened the pot. I only played that hole card twice - - - when the economy was smokin' (dot com run up and the boom a few years before the great recession).

Totally agree on second point. My simple 3 fund (index) has served me well without putting food on some FA's table.

Ho-hum, nothing revolutionary. Similar to Millionaire Next Door.

But this type of thing is really junk science. They survey millionaires. Fine. They come up with a list of common attributes. Fine. But they do not survey non-millionaires, so they have no idea whether some or all of the attributes are also present in the non-millionaire population. Said another way, they have no way to know whether any of these attributes actually distinguishes millionaires from people with less money.

Nassim Taleb, in The Black Swan, describes this issue as the fallacy of "silent evidence." It's an important takeaway from the book. Taleb uses a story from Cicero to highlight the fallacy.
Diagoras, a nonbeliever in the gods, was shown painted tablets bearing the portraits of some worshippers who prayed, then survived a subsequent shipwreck. The implication was that praying protects you from drowning. Diagoras asked,“How many of those who drowned were believers? Did you interview them as well?”
When it came out, Millionaire Next Door was heavily criticized for having this same problem. In Search of Excellence was another book with the problem. Both books were, of course, huge best sellers. Junk science is popular stuff.

they leave it up to the experts.
Among the FIRE people I know, this is not at all true. Some use advisers and some do not, but the vast majority are DIY investors.

As for the idea of having only one employer, this may have been useful if there was a pension to be had and it was based on years of service. This hasn't been a common case in the commercial world for several decades.

As the article suggests, this longevity strategy is mostly applicable to public employment:

same employer for two decades or longer these days, there are still a number of people who do it, including teachers and other government workers.

Last edited:
I hit 9 out of 10.
1 job from 22 years old to retired (kind of) at 55.
Didn't seek out expert advice, just kept saving.

The first one, "Job Stability" (staying at one employer for years and years), is BS these days.

I was one of the few people I knew that worked for the same Megacorp for 32 years, then the business group I was in was sold off, and I continued with that for 4 more until RE. There were some other old timers at Megacorp, but virtually none at the client companies that I was involved with.

+1. I was totally DIY. Tried an advisor for a while but dropped him after my performance was better than his.

I was totally DIY. Tried an advisor for a while but dropped him after my performance was better than his.
I used to ask prospective FAs/Brokers how they had performed with details and how much they paid someone to manage their money. I found one broker who answered and I used him for ten years until he retired. By then I was totally DIY.

(I maintain a small fund position with an FA just so the DW has some place to go if I predecease her.)

#7. You take someone who saves $30k at the age of 30 by buying a used Camry vs. a BMW.. invested over 35 years @ 6.5% gives you $270K. How many people realize that BMW cost them a quarter million dollars... thats one expensive decision.

#7. You take someone who saves $30k at the age of 30 by buying a used Camry vs. a BMW.. invested over 35 years @ 6.5% gives you $270K. How many people realize that BMW cost them a quarter million dollars... thats one expensive decision.

I used to try and tell this to many of my young professional colleagues - to no avail. They all said that they had worked hard and deserved it, or they felt that they needed to project a certain image. What they didn’t realize then was that our employer - a large law firm - didn’t care what they drove. Some conspiracy theorists would say that the firm wanted them to drive expensive cars to lock on the golden handcuffs. Didn’t matter to me. I bought a Honda, saved everything I could over several years, paid off my student loans, and built my initial nest egg. Roughly 20 years later, I’m FI and thinking about my second act.

Why is it always a BMW. Why not a Mercedes, F150, corvette, or Cadillac?

Each of those conjures up a different image of the buyer. So does Honda and Toyota.

OK but hardly factual. BMW has been very successful developing a brand that emphasizes cars that are fun to drive. Somewhere along the way some people have decided BMW’s represents youthful irresponsibility? Anyway they need not cost more than the brands I listed. Maybe it’s the youthful thing?

OK but hardly factual. BMW has been very successful developing a brand that emphasizes cars that are fun to drive. Somewhere along the way some people have decided BMW’s represents youthful irresponsibility? Anyway they need not cost more than the brands I listed. Maybe it’s the youthful thing?

Studies find BMW drivers are perceived as the rudest and most entitled.

https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/the-rich-drive-differently-a-study-suggests/

“Despite its good brakes, a BMW will usually stop with a jerk.”
:LOL:

Studies find BMW drivers are perceived as the rudest and most entitled.

https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/12/the-rich-drive-differently-a-study-suggests/

“Despite its good brakes, a BMW will usually stop with a jerk.”
:LOL:

Way back when I was a police officer in the Patrol Division it was well known that BMW cars and drivers were immune from the laws of physics. At least the drivers thought so.

On many occasions they discovered that they had been misinformed....:LOL:

Why is it always a BMW. Why not a Mercedes, F150, corvette, or Cadillac?

Just because that's what was always in our parking lot. Nothing against the rest, but our work was either Audi or BMW, a few Lexus SUV, maybe 1 corvette, no F150s in that crowd and no Cadillacs.

The BMW comes to mind because that crowd was all about what series of BMW they bought. And that the BMW dealer told me to come back when I could "afford" one based solely on my looks.. wouldn't even let me test drive, so yeh they are the ones I pick on.

8 out of 10 for me... I am a DIY investor and I am a-ok with carrying a mortgage, especially at the low interest rates we have had over the last 10+ years.

Job stability was a close call.... I had 4 employers during my career for 3, 6, 12 and 13 years.. other than vacation time and perhaps a couple weeks off between jobs I was consistently employed... in fact, for about two months I collected two paychecks.. one was salary continuance from a former employer.

I was LBYM and saved and invested consistently in no-load, low-cost equities and didn't ever raid my retirement savings... that was it.

We always drove nice but modest cars... my fanciest ride was a nice used Mitsubishi Diamante...meanwhile BILs drove Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Saab, Volvo, etc. and are all still working.

The BMW dealer around these parts has a knack of turning an oil change and brake pad thickness inspection into a $5,000 repair job.

I have had well over 100 new cars, and most were because I was a road warrior for an auto manufacturer visiting dealers. They were furnished and the cars we bought were employee cost.

We were fortunate to live in a very low cost of living region where our three 4000+ square foot houses came with monthly payments between $570 and $760 per month. No state income taxes and cheap power rates also helped.

We maxed out the 401e and IRAs (before Roths) for 36 years and time was good to us. I would go to the business library and study all the available FIDO funds monthly--investing in only the best ones. And I was fortunate to have Cadillac benefits including HSAs and a RHSA account to pay healthcare for 7 years before Medicare. And it is nice to have a defined pension too.

I just hate that RMDs are coming up before the money is going to be needed.

We have permanent custody of a 6 year old granddaughter and are praying for good future health. Next up is setting up trust funds and new wills to protect her the next 20 years.

Back
Top Bottom