Best financial sites....

Ryan75

Dryer sheet wannabe
Over the last few months I Have spent a Quite a bit of time reading about
the Financial markets and have found the amount of news/Info available just overwhelming ,Would really like to get my morning routine down to about Five sites I read every day and move on.....What's everyone's favorite sites:confused:

FWIW most people on this forum who does investing based on asset-allocation and indexing don't follow financial news because the financial news add no value to your investment decisions.

FWIW most people on this forum who does investing based on asset-allocation and indexing don't follow financial news because the financial news add no value to your investment decisions.

+1. For knowledge, there's the bogleheads forum and this forum. For market timing, stock picking propaganda, just turn on the boob tube to any of the so called financial channels. For bullsh!t and lies, any of the big FA web sites will gladly blow smoke up your ass and call it advice.

+2

+3

Last edited:
As some have indicated, many on this forum establish an appropriate asset allocation (depends on the individual) and then they invest in low cost index funds. Other than possible rebalancing of the funds periodically, they take no other investment action. Accordingly, daily financial updates are considered to be a distraction at a minimum and at worst a detriment to sound investing.

The Boblehead's reading list includes a long list of books that review these topics and why this is a sound way to invest. One of my favorite investing books is, The Four Pillars of Investing, by William Bernstein.

morningstar, I like Christina's articles. I like the market outlook vids they do.

google finance, to follow, (and mostly ignore) news related to my holdings and possible future holdings. I have a watch-list but this will all supposedly go away. I don't invest based on news output.

Percentage calculator - cuz I dont like doing long-hand math

FIRECalc, and other calculator sites although use with a grain of salt, especially tax planning calculators.

Vanguard.com - Seriously, a lot of good articles and info

Over the last few months I Have spent a Quite a bit of time reading about
the Financial markets and have found the amount of news/Info available just overwhelming ,Would really like to get my morning routine down to about Five sites I read every day and move on.....What's everyone's favorite sites:confused:

If your indexer you can go to bogleheads.org. Not much to discuss about it really. In general they are religiously dogmatic and will shut down any discussion that deviates from their belief system.

If you want to have fun and be able to discuss any idea, even hair brained ideas, without the thought police jumping in then I suggest seekingalpha.com.

Wow, tough crowd! Like the OP, I like to at least check things out and see what's going on in the financial world. I invest in index funds and stick to it, but it is nice to get an idea on what's happening in a broader sense.

Wow, tough crowd! Like the OP, I like to at least check things out and see what's going on in the financial world. I invest in index funds and stick to it, but it is nice to get an idea on what's happening in a broader sense.

I think that many on the ER site feel like you do. Over the years it is good to get some financial sense of what drove historical changes in stocks/bonds.

Does not mean you can predict anything going forward. But sometimes markets go extreme. Maybe Bitcoin is a current example but with markets there are always two sides to the trade.

It is a tough crowd was basically saying " what do you all read about while having your Cup of coffee in the Morning" I posted it while I was having mine.
Yes I read almost strictly financial sites,anything major happens they get a hold of it and report it,and Yes I have a decent sized portfolio that follows asset allocation, but I also have a little gambling money set aside,just in case.( I don't care for Vegas!)

I like financial TV shows where the host yells a lot and waves his arms. Really helps me zero in on my financial strategy.

Barron's
Wall Street Journal
The Economist
New York Times

I like reading the articles from Michael Kitces on retirement planning and investing. The other websites are Darrow Kirkpatrick's site -- Can I Retire Yet and the forum at Bogleheads.org

+6

Generally speaking the only time I buy or sell is just once a year for rebalancing. I rebalance just to get back to where I am supposed to be according to my written financial plan (which details my AA, which funds, and percentages of each).

+7

I am teaching an intro investing class and I tell students that I could sit down this afternoon and write three very credible stories about why tomorrow's market did what it did. "Investors were heartened by the BOJ's moves on interest rates and came strongly into the markets in a buying mood. ..." "Investor's concerned about Trump's pick for the Fed lightened their positions today. ... " "Investors, tired from a busy week sat on their hands today. ... " Tomorrow night, then, I just pick the article to match the day's result and send it to my editor. That's the kind of thing you read on most "financial" sites.

My best financial news for the chess game of patient investing is by far The Economist magazine. I hold the magazine in my hands and read for several hours a week, barely doing it justice before the next issue arrives. I read it on my tablet when I am traveling; their app automatically downloads issues as they are available. I don't read their web site much, but YMMV. Whatever you have to pay is probably the smallest and most worthwhile investment expense you'll ever have. (IIRC my print/digital subscription runs about $125/year)

I like financial TV shows where the host yells a lot and waves his arms. Really helps me zero in on my financial strategy.
Oh you have to get out more.

There was a site I used where the genius behind it would tell his clients to go blank off, amongst other classy insults.

Some folks paid a premium price to get an email that said you're ignorant, FOAD!

FYI: I w*rked in sawmills for 10 years, this guys command of foul, obscene, hateful language was amazing. I learned a lot.😁

Last edited:
+7

I am teaching an intro investing class and I tell students that I could sit down this afternoon and write three very credible stories about why tomorrow's market did what it did....

I don't see it that clear cut. Often that is true when markets are not moving that much but sometimes the markets react violently at the very moment an event occurs.

For example, I remember seeing a minute by minute view of the SP500 as the 9/11 events unfolded. As I recall by the time the second plane hit, the markets reacted extremely violently down. It was like a step function in time.

Often events affect only one major market segment like Apple earnings might not not just affect it but other tech stocks while energy stocks might be moving the opposite direction due to their industry specific news. News and events do affect pricing but they are not necessarily synchronized. Then there is momentum affects where slow news reactors can have delayed pricing affects.

Last edited:
I don't see it that clear cut. Often that is true when markets are not moving that much but sometimes the markets react violently at the very moment an event occurs. ...
Sure, but that doesn't detract from the main point. Most financial articles, particularly those about market action, are complete BS. Like 99% of them. The 1% of days, like 10/19/87, where something exciting happens might require a little more effort on the part of the author. But regardless, reading any of them for any purpose except entertainment is a waste of time. And there are better things to read for entertainment.

Nassim Taleb calls this "the narrative fallacy." From The Black Swan:
"The narrative fallacy addresses our limited ability to look at a sequence of facts without weaving an explanation into them ... Where this propensity goes wrong is it increases our impression of understanding."​

While I do mostly index investing ... it is not technically bogglehead investing. I am rather surprised how the bogglehead contingent shut the OP down for what they asked. It may be time to move on.

Back
Top Bottom