Nova Scotia and Manitoba

cbo111

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi. We are researching the possibility of spending two week exploring Nova Scotia and Manitoba. Late July to early August seems to be the target month, as DW really wants to see the Beluga whales, so Churchill will be on the agenda. We like outdoor hiking, kayaking type activities. Anyone out there with experiences on other things to do and places to stay?
Thanks, Chuck

This could end up being a very expensive trip because you will need to fly from Nova Scotia (Halifax) to Manitoba (Winnipeg) and then fly from Winnipeg to Churchill and back. Winnipeg and Halifax are 2580 km (1603 miles) apart and AFAIK you will need to connect in Toronto. If cost is a barrier, I might consider visiting one of those two provinces, not both.

Churchill is far north on the tundra, which is constantly shifting, so there is no road. There is a rail line from Winnipeg, but trains are currently suspended between Gillam and Churchill because the ground was washed out last spring. Your only way to get there is by air, and it won’t be cheap. Churchill is a very small remote town with few options.

I would suggest working with a tour operator. One travel agent which specializes in Churchill is the Great Canadian Travel Company.

Great Canadian Travel Group

Last edited:
We flew into Manchester, NH and drove about 1000 miles to Nova Scotia in May. All the Celtic musicians don't show up until July on Cape Breton Island. We stayed in a fine B&B as far as the roads go..

We drove around Cape Breton Island, however we never found the lobster shacks we expected to see. The cheapest beer was $12.99 plus sales taxes were 15%.

Honestly, we preferred the scenery in maritime Maine stopping along the way in towns like Camden with a bag full of fall sailing ships and schooners. They also had incredible B&Bs--and great roadside lobster stands.

My two cents - the most scenic part of all Nova Scotia is the Cabot Trail in Cabot Breton Island. Lots f trails in that area too.

Manitoba or Maine?

Kind of like saying "I want to visit Delaware and Minnesota".

I have not been to Winnepeg but Nova Scotia was terrific. We flew to Hlaifax and bicycled to Cape Breton. The views from the road were beautiful. As others have said, the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton is also beautiful. The small towns are just fun. The music is terrific at the pubs. On the way back to Halifax, we rented a car and stopped at the Bay of Fundy. We also spent some time in Halifax which is a lovely city.

You'll not be too far from PEI. We enjoyed being there and might be a closer choice than Manitoba.

Be sure to visit Alexander Bell Museum in Baddeck. It's on the way from Halifax to Cape Breton.

In 2014, we did an 8-week RV trip through the Canadian Maritimes. The driving to/from the US Southwest cost us a couple of weeks already, so only scratched the surface.

We also enjoy the Arcadian Historical Village in Caraquet, New Brunswick, but it is a bit out of the way from Nova Scotia.

Inside Nova Scotia, we enjoyed visiting the Halifax Citadel, the Fortress of Louisbourg, the town of Lunenburg, and Peggy Cove. Did not have time to do more.

Could have spent an entire summer in these provinces. I may still do that later.

We have been a few times over the years. We flew into Manchester NH for a cost savings and to enjoy the ride and camping (we brought our tent and sleeping bags) through Maine and New Brunswick to get to NS. NS is beautiful with the northern parts my favorite. Drive the Cabot Trail and consider stopping in at Louisbourg fortress. The Louisbourg Playhouse is a fun evening. Its based on the Globe Theater in London. We did our whale watching off some northern cliffs as we woke up in the morning and looked out of our tent. If you are there July 6,7, and 8 there is the Scottish Highland Games in Antigonish. This will be the 155 anniversary of the games being held there. It may be the oldest gathering in North America. There is piping, drumming, dance, heavy weight highland games, concerts, clan gatherings and ceilidhs .

We also enjoy the Arcadian Historical Village in Caraquet, New Brunswick, but it is a bit out of the way from Nova Scotia.

Could have spent an entire summer in these provinces. I may still do that later.

We enjoyed our visit here a few years ago. My family homestead was moved here. :D

Be sure to visit Alexander Bell Museum in Baddeck. It's on the way from Halifax to Cape Breton.

In 2014, we did an 8-week RV trip through the Canadian Maritimes. The driving to/from the US Southwest cost us a couple of weeks already, so only scratched the surface.

Inside Nova Scotia, we enjoyed visiting the Halifax Citadel, the Fortress of Louisbourg, the town of Lunenburg, and Peggy Cove. Did not have time to do more.

Nemo2 reminded me that it was Acadian, not Arcadian. :) People there are cousins of the Cajun people in Louisiana.

From research, I learned about this center and wanted to visit it. We were there on the closing weekend of the season in mid September, and they had a festival. The attendees were mostly locals of French heritage, and we were about the only out-of-town visitors. We truly enjoyed it.

Thanks for all the good info. We will probably focus on Nova Scotia. DW is dying to see the Belugas near Churchill, but it may be a little too far to be feasible.

Some folks we met on a Caravan tour up in Calgary mentioned another Caravan tour starting in Halifax. Impulsive, but we plunked down our deposit for a 10 day tour in mid-August. Going out for some donair.

Reposting from 2 years ago

About 26 years ago, we took the ferry from Portland, ME to Yarmouth and drove around the circumference of Nova Scotia for 2 weeks, staying in bed and breakfasts along the way. We loved it there. Among the things we most enjoyed were the following:

1. Rafting up-river on the Shubenacadie River. Located at the head of the Bay of Fundy, the tidal inrush is so strong that it actually drives you upriver several miles. I can't recall the rafting company, but if you go on-line, you'll find one.

2. Staying in Annapolis Royal. A beautiful historic town. We enjoyed the historic homes and gardens and had the best Digby scallops in a local restaurant.

3. Visiting the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck. Parks Canada - Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site - Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site

4. Visiting the Glenora Whiskey distillery. Whiskies — Glenora Distillery

5. A boat tour to see the Puffins. Puffin Boat Tours Cape Breton Nova Scotia - Puffin Boat Tours Cape Breton Nova Scotia

6. Visiting a coal mine under the Atlantic Ocean in Glace Bay. Miners Museum – Glace Bay Nova Scotia Canada

7. Visiting the historic Fortress of Louisbourg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortress_of_Louisbourg

8. Sunset schooner cruise out of Halifax. We went on the Bluenose, which is the schooner on the Canadian dime. I don't think it is still doing it, but there are other schooners out of Halifax that will take you out for dinner and drinks. Look online.

9. The Fisheries Museum of the Atlantic in Lunenburg. https://fisheriesmuseum.novascotia.ca/visit-us

Reposting from 2 years ago

During our 1999 bicycle ride of the Cabot Trail, we stopped at Glenora but they were still in the aging process, just opened. I really wanted to try the it but no samples. Did you try it? I really haven't thought about it in the last few years but if tasty, I will look for it.

Thanks for all the good info. We will probably focus on Nova Scotia. DW is dying to see the Belugas near Churchill, but it may be a little too far to be feasible.

I think that’s a good plan.

During our 1999 bicycle ride of the Cabot Trail, we stopped at Glenora but they were still in the aging process, just opened. I really wanted to try the it but no samples. Did you try it? I really haven't thought about it in the last few years but if tasty, I will look for it.

It was brand spanking new when we went there; not a drop of whiskey to be had. But it was interesting to see.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom