OK Prognosticators, what's your call for the week ?

frayne

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My crystal ball is in the shop after suffering some serious crackage due to a high velocity meeting with a stationary object last Monday. So what's the call for this week on the ever eventful DOW, up, down, sideways ?

I'm SWAGing another interesting and volatile week, maybe up or down a grand either way, no more, no less !

What say the wise sages and prognosticators of the forum ?

I'll refrain from commenting about whether or not prognosticators get pimples and hair growing on the palms of their hands. :hide:

I will admit that I have ZERO idea of what will happen in the market, and think it would be the ultimate in hubris to pretend that I do. Still, like most, I have irrational, completely unreliable hunches based on absolutely nothing. Mine tell me that the market will stay relatively stable for the first part of the week, and then continue to drop precipitously maybe starting next Thursday or Friday.

But who knows?

6978-albums71-picture509.jpg

Last edited:
Will definitely go up, if it doesn't fall.

I have no idea what will happen, but I hope for at least a small increase so that I can sell all the equities that I bought last week.

I will say that this kind of reminds me of the time that Congress tried to default on debt in early August 2011 with a few up/down days of 4% each day:

lczx6jR.png

Eventually, the bottom was reached late Sept-early October.

Without a doubt, the market will definitely _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

Once again, I've called it. :dance::dance:

I'll give a WAG (not even able to use the qualifying S)
Lots of ups and downs finishing S&P down 5%.
And I'll lose 5 lbs at the gym and dieting. Or maybe by taking the rocks out of my pocket.

I have no idea what will happen, but I hope for at least a small increase so that I can sell all the equities that I bought last week.

I will say that this kind of reminds me of the time that Congress tried to default on debt in early August 2011 with a few up/down days of 4% each day:

lczx6jR.png

Eventually, the bottom was reached late Sept-early October.
+1 on both what I will do, and also what the market will.

Perhaps watching Asian and European futures tonight will give us a clue?

I don't trust them at all as they were not that helpful last week.

my call: down slightly beginning of week to shake out the nervous investors and then mostly sideways rest of week

not really sure that all the international investors have reacted to the domestic market. may still have some reaction.... but i’ve seen some uptick on CD rates recently- - noticed because my old part of ladder just matured and held off until the new rates got priced in

"It will fluctuate." -- J.P. Morgan

Here it is, pulled right from my personal place where sun does not shine: 2 more weeks of continued volatility with a general downward trend. DOW bottom will be somewhere between 22000. and 23000. before returning to a upward trend as the bull is not yet dead.

My crystal ball is in the shop after suffering some serious crackage due to a high velocity meeting with a stationary object last Monday. So what's the call for this week on the ever eventful DOW, up, down, sideways ?

I'm SWAGing another interesting and volatile week, maybe up or down a grand either way, no more, no less !

What say the wise sages and prognosticators of the forum ?

This week? Hah! I’m just waiting for the 10yr to reach 3.15%, then I’ll see what happens.

I think the S&P500 will visit its 200dma again, but I hope it takes more than a week!

Last edited:
I never know what the market is going to do. I don't think it will be flat. It will either go up or down several %.

Did my taxes this weekend, so all other financial thoughts are blocked for at least a week so I can rest what few brain cells are left.

Just finished Mandelbrot's old book, The (mis)Behavior of Markets, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more down days, IF one of his findings, that market movements cluster, is correct.

Last edited:
Have no clue. I was stunned to see that the DJIA went up 330 points today - just like last Friday. Then I found out that today is Sunday.

We moved this summer and the packers lost my crystal ball...eh, it never worked anyway.
We do not have a clue! Just two weeks ago I was complaining about how much my RMDs would be next year and the market fixed that for me....
My guess is down about 500 and then leveling off and see sawing up and up starting the following week. Truly, where else is there to put your money?

[...] like most, I have irrational, completely unreliable hunches based on absolutely nothing. Mine tell me that the market will stay relatively stable for the first part of the week, and then continue to drop precipitously maybe starting next Thursday or Friday.

But who knows?

Well, so much for my hunches! I see that the Dow is up ~420 points or so at the moment. I wouldn't call that "relatively stable".

Well, so much for my hunches! I see that the Dow is up ~420 points or so at the moment. I wouldn't call that "relatively stable".

In a 2016 Forbes article, they stated:
In the last 87 plus years, the majority of the Dow’s daily returns (93.33%) were between -2.0% and +2.0%.

So a change of 1.8% (as I type this for the Dow), while not normal, isn't all that abnormal. (over 6.67% of days would have a larger % change). It is the last year or so that has been abnormal. https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikepatton/2016/01/29/fast-facts-on-the-dow-jones-stock-index/#6f9e1f576972

Have no clue. I was stunned to see that the DJIA went up 330 points today - just like last Friday. Then I found out that today is Sunday.
oh, then you missed Saturday's 330 point gain?

I'm on a long trip and I have made the same mistake, because I don't know what day it is, generally.

I'll give a WAG (not even able to use the qualifying S)
Lots of ups and downs finishing S&P down 5%.
And I'll lose 5 lbs at the gym and dieting. Or maybe by taking the rocks out of my pocket.

And this is why I don't day trade.
And didn't even lose the five pounds.

Back
Top Bottom