Hi from Michigan, ER next year at 58. Thoughts

jjflyman

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm 58 and no longer employed, my wife is 57 and we are planing on her retiring May of 2019. I think we will be fine money wise but my wife is not totally convinced. Here's some details:
Her current salary about $60K
Current NW 1.3M , 1M in investable assets (400K in ret, 600K in non ret)
No debt, paid off house (300K)
My wife will get a small pension at 60, and at 62 we will both take SS.
So at 62 (4 years after retirement) pension + SS will be about $3400/m not including any dividends, interest or principle on our savings.
We plan to live off savings until SS, and to keep our reportable income as low as possible to get max ACA subsidies for as long as we can.
Thoughts?

Welcome!
Expenses is the key number for success if you have run those numbers then at 40K a year you should be fine.

Can your assets support your expenses if the ACA subsidies are eliminated in the 6 years until you qualify for Medicare.
I would run fire calc with both scenarios and evaluate the results.

Welcome jjflyman! You've already received some good advice. I'd add taking a look at your asset allocation to make sure you are comfortable with the market risk but also not so conservative as to be at inflation risk. There are a lot of threads here (particularly in the FIRE and Money forum) that can give you some thoughts.

Also having a very good handle on your spending and being willing to reduce discretionary spending if needed is important.

We look forward to your contributions!

Back
Top Bottom